The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
2 channel mic pre with phase switch
Old 10th May 2006
Lives for gear

2 channel mic pre with phase switch

Hello, I have a band tracking a record in my studio.
Were on guitars, and I would like to get a nice 2 channel pre for under 1K.
Recording into MOTU 2408 MK III, Cubase SX.
No need of AD/DA converter.
Here are my requirements.
2 quality pres, pad, phase reversal swith (all must have!)
I'm looking for something better than my Allen Heath mix wizzard pres.
I have plenty of compression (DBX 160 VU, DBX 903s pair, DBX 166, Aphex compellor pair).
I obviously want to upgrade in the future to API, Neve, Avalon, but for now I need something this weekend.
Here is a list of pres I'm considering.

Trident S 20
(Would probably be the best "Bling" factor for now, and go well with API, etc when i can afford them?)

Toft Audio Designs AFC-2 Dual
(could use a better EQ than Mix wizzard, and have only one channel DBX 905 EQ)

ART MPA Gold

Focusrite (alot of choices here for under a grand)

Joe Meek (again, lots of choices for under a grand)

I had the PreSonus Eureka in my studio for a couple of weeks and didn't groove on it.
I record mainly rock but do a fair amount of hip hop.
thanks for your time!
Matt
Old 10th May 2006

Well, only because I have it sitting on my desk... The new API A2D has everything you're asking for PLUS a good A/D... but, might be a little out of your price range.
Old 11th May 2006
Lives for gear

Go for TRIDENT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rednose
Here is a list of pres I'm considering.

Trident S 20
(Would probably be the best "Bling" factor for now, and go well with API, etc when i can afford them?)
Yes! I vote for the S20 as it's an excellent preamp for many tasks and will be a good investment; it will stand up next to the more pricey competitors.

Quote:
Focusrite (alot of choices here for under a grand)
Joe Meek (again, lots of choices for under a grand)
Don't waste your time on the sub-$1k Focusrite stuff. It is generally generic sounding and perhaps not too much better than your stock preamps. Joe Meek? Well the EQs are kinda neat and affordable but I wouldn't buy one of their preamps. Of course this is JHMO. But I say overall looking at your choices you will probably be happiest with the Trident S20.

Happy hunting!

J.D.
Old 11th May 2006
Lives for gear

another vote for Trident S20

DAV BG1 would be another good dual channel pre. depending on exchange rate, usually runs $700-800
Old 11th May 2006
Lives for gear

Thanks guys!
I suppose you feel the pres in the Toft and Joe Meek boxes are no good?
Thats fine, I can get more DBX 905's.
Are the 905's better than Toft EQ?
I would say Pres are the most important, I can get EQ out of mic placement and the amp rig.
Tony, please let me dream a bit tonight?
How much for the API (OUCH!!!).
If its a No $go$ on the API, I feel I can live with the Trident for the next couple of weeks.
My budget is around 1K, but if I can get 2 channels of API for a bit more, I think I can go for it.
Thanks~!
Matt

Last edited by Rednose; 11th May 2006 at 07:23 AM..
Old 11th May 2006
Lives for gear

the thing about the API, is those converters, if they're better than the Digi 002 like Tony said they are, then they're gonna be better than your MOTU as well.

So aside from the Pre's being phenominal, you'll take that quality another notch up with superior conversion.

Tony... cut the guy a deal, in the name of good recordings, man.
Old 11th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamJay
the thing about the API, is those converters, if they're better than the Digi 002 like Tony said they are, then they're gonna be better than your MOTU as well.

So aside from the Pre's being phenominal, you'll take that quality another notch up with superior conversion.

Listen to this man Tony, ha!
Seriously though, how will I record into the MOTU, Light pipe?
Can I record Lite Pipe and analogue at the same time in Cubase SX with no probs?
Just recorded analogue OR light pipe before.
Thanks for sticking up for me!
Matt
Old 11th May 2006

Quote:

Quote:
Can I record Lite Pipe and analogue at the same time in Cubase SX with no probs?
Matt
You would connect it via SPDIF... Give me a call tomorrow and we'll work something out!
Old 11th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Matt
the API A2D has spdif digital output (2 ch.).

your MOTU has spdif digital input (2 ch.)

and you should be able to record through spdif and analog simultaneously in Cubase SX.
Old 11th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
the API A2D has spdif digital output (2 ch.).

your MOTU has spdif digital input (2 ch.)

and you should be able to record through spdif and analog simultaneously in Cubase SX.
Thanks guys!
SPDIF is no probs.
Tony, I will call you tomorrow.
Even though an AD converter wasn't on my list, the API is something I can use everyday. If I decide to bypass my compressors, I can use it SPDIF 96k, BRAVO!
Also, brings huge "Bling" factor to my studio and looks very much the slut I need!
Matt

Last edited by Rednose; 11th May 2006 at 01:15 PM..
Old 11th May 2006
Gear Maniac

if those api don't work, check out the hamptone preamps. since you need them soon you will need them assembled, but either model (tube or jfet) will still be under a grand for 2 ch. quite a steal and top quality. don't know how fast you can get one though. otherwise the syteck is one of the best pres out there for under a grand and it's four channels!
Old 11th May 2006
Gear Addict

not to throw in a monkeywrench here, but I was LESS than thrilled with my s20 when I owned one. the headroom kinda sucked, and they werent anything stellar sonically. I really liked the filter knob as a feature, but again...just didnt move me. I dont think im the only one on this side of the fence. Its the Trident name, but not Trident performance, IMHO

I think the MixWizard has a pad and phase flip right? How about a Grace 101?
I did a live sound last week on a MixWizard. those things sound awesome....but MAN, are they LAID OUT WEIRD!
Old 11th May 2006
T9c
Gear Maniac

S20

Geez, I was trying to be impressed, but what's in there? A couple of opamps? Are these pics (inside chassis) missing something?

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/...ase_pid=180320

OTOH, it looks like a helluva power supply.
Attached Thumbnails
2 channel mic pre with phase switch-s20.jpg  
Old 11th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by frontierfran
not to throw in a monkeywrench here, but I was LESS than thrilled with my s20 when I owned one. the headroom kinda sucked, and they werent anything stellar sonically. I really liked the filter knob as a feature, but again...just didnt move me. I dont think im the only one on this side of the fence. Its the Trident name, but not Trident performance, IMHO

I think the MixWizard has a pad and phase flip right? How about a Grace 101?
I did a live sound last week on a MixWizard. those things sound awesome....but MAN, are they LAID OUT WEIRD!
No phase reversal on my mix wizzard.
I've seen them on other AH boards, but bummer!
I would look at the Grace, but for now, I'm looking for Bling factor.
Unfortunatly, I need names because clients call for them!
If it were for just me, I would go with what I liked best.
Thanks for the info on the S20, think I'll wait till I can afford the API.
Thats on the top of my list!
Matt

Last edited by Rednose; 11th May 2006 at 10:02 PM..
Old 11th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by arpodthegreat
if those api don't work, check out the hamptone preamps. since you need them soon you will need them assembled, but either model (tube or jfet) will still be under a grand for 2 ch. quite a steal and top quality. don't know how fast you can get one though. otherwise the syteck is one of the best pres out there for under a grand and it's four channels!
thanks, I'll look into the Sytek.
4 channels is tempting!
What about the API 3124+?
Its 4 pres for a bit more than the A2D.
Would be very usefull for tracking drums.
I'm really not concerned with the converters because I use my DBX compressors on almost every thing I run, so I wouldn't go straight out of the box.
[email protected]!

Last edited by Rednose; 11th May 2006 at 10:10 PM..
Old 11th May 2006
Here for the gear

If only it was that simple !

Try looking at the other side of the pcb.

;-)
Old 11th May 2006
T9c
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOHN ORAM
If only it was that simple !

Try looking at the other side of the pcb.

;-)

Actually, on the other side would be nothing but traces, no components at all. The pc mt pots & switches give it away. Being a 1U space, there's no room for underside mounted components. The pcb standoffs are maybe .25" tall.

This looks like they took 2 channel boards from a console, removed the routing parts and stuck the rest on 1 pcb in a 1U. Not much there, really. Not knocking it, just surprised.

As for the Sytek, I use mine for drums, but I would like to replace it with an API 3124+. No doubt. Still, the Sytek is a great way to get 4 transparent ch's for less than a grand. Each ch has phase, mute & phantom. He sells them on ebay for less sometimes. I think they're demo units or something. Not a lota bling though. Pretty dull lookin'.

Rick
Old 11th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
DAV BG1 would be another good dual channel pre. depending on exchange rate, usually runs $700-800
Seconded. The BG-1 gives you two channels for $700 and the BG-2 gives you four channels for $1450... Prices are current.

J.D.
Old 11th May 2006
Gear Maniac

Quote:
No phase reversal on my mix wizzard.
I've seen them on other AH boards, but bummer!
I would look at the Grace, but for now, I'm looking for Bling factor.
Unfortunatly, I need names because clients call for them!
If it were for just me, I would go with what I liked best.
Thanks for the info on the S20, think I'll wait till I can afford the API.
Thats on the top of my list!
Matt
Don't want to curb your gear lust but you could make up some short mic leads with their phase reversed for a few $. Obviously not as convenient as buttons but nice and cheap.heh
Old 14th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheeky b
Don't want to curb your gear lust but you could make up some short mic leads with their phase reversed for a few $. Obviously not as convenient as buttons but nice and cheap.heh
Yeah, I heard about that.
I've heard you can also buy phase adaptors for the mic chord.
I can look for some in the meantime.
I was allways told Hardware Phase reversal is better.
Don't know if its true or not.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search