The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Mackie Onyx 8 bus live mixer in studio
Old 10th May 2006
Lives for gear

Mackie Onyx 8 bus live mixer in studio

Is anyone using the Mackie Onyx 8 bus live consoles in their studio?

Just wondering how you find it?

James
Old 11th May 2006
Lives for gear
Its a decent board, but for studio?... We have a 48 channel Onyx at our shop (my day job is shop foreman at a regional East Coast live audio company) but it's never been out on a gig, mostly because the group send buttons are the horrible Mackie two-tone buttons, making it difficult to see whats going where in a dark concert environment. Not to mention the metering is pretty bad... theres a master LED meter where you can select what source to meter, and then each channel has its own tiny LED meter, but its just not enough to be able to get a good reading on where your levels stand.

We're going to be selling the Onyx at dealer cost (I am the only person who ever fired it up and put signal into it for about 5 minutes) and staying with our PM3500 as our go-to large format board. The Onyx sounds fine (at least in a shop environment), and its signal routing is actually pretty good. It has the ability to send the auxes to the groups so it can double as a monitor desk, as well as a matrix. Other than the bad metering and non-lit group send selectors, its a decent board.
Old 11th May 2006
I've used the 2480 quite a bit. Good sound for the price, metering leaves a bit to be desired, but they have fairly noisy fans. Don't know whether those can be replaced, but it's an issue, IMO. Bang had one for a bit and liked it, IIRC.
Old 12th May 2006
Here for the gear

I've been wondering the same thing, but more in reference to the 4 bus mixers that aren't out yet. The 24 channel one is just a little more than the Onyx 1640. I have a 800R and like it a lot.
Old 12th May 2006
I'm eyeing the four bus as well. Hoping it doesn't have the fans.
Old 12th May 2006
Gear Maniac

I run one of the smaller format Onyx series in my home project studio and absolutely love it. And for the price, it makes it an even better deal. The pre's are more than usable for everyday7 work and the new Perkins EQ's are pretty damn good. The 8 Bus Onyx should fit just fine in a studio environment.
Old 12th May 2006
Lives for gear

We just did a remote with a 16 channel Onyx. I can say that the pres are pretty good and the converters get the job done. I didn't explore the EQ at all, so I can't comment on that. I think, if anything, the weakness of the console would be the mixbuss. I REALLY would not want to mix on it.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search