The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Plugging Ported Speakers
Old 24th February 2012
Gear Nut
i'm under the school of thought that a monitor needs to be used as designed without additional modification. a bunch of guys that are smarter than me with computers full of algorithms designed the speakers...i doubt i'll be able to improve upon it myself. if you really want to block the port you might as well buy some sealed monitors like auratones, blue sky, ae22s
Old 24th February 2012
Lives for gear

Silent Sound,

There's more to monitor performance than freq response (e.g. time domain response) and your room is not an anechoic chamber so the bumpy response in the stock monitors could have been more a function of room vs the speaker. That said, stuffing the port with a nonairtight material (sealing the port completely would not be an improovement; physically, and I mean the laws of physics here, impossible) could be a good thing; it depends. I would recomend researching Aperiodic enclosures as I mentioned above - this could help you optimise the performance of the monitor with a stuffed port.... though the best thing to do is not buy bass reflex monitors if you don't like the sound of that enclosure type (I know the pickings is slim, but that's why we need more people demanding options - manufacturers will take the path of least resistance and due to tidy response graphs, slighty better efficiency ratings and smaller box sizes, bass reflex is the path of least resistence right now).

Another thing is that integrating a sub is very tricky (there's also much more to it than the freq response - the crossover region can get very messy) and IMHO it is best to mix (stereo music at least; film soundtracks or anything surround is another matter entirely) without a sub if at all possible.
Old 24th February 2012
I am curious as to why anyone would want to do this? If you want closed speakers maybe purchase a pair. If you are having trouble with the bass I think the guy that advised using bass traps was probably correct.

Also don't think it would damage the speakers, just might not achieve anything useful.
Old 24th February 2012
Lives for gear

I plugged up some Tannoy 6.5s just out of boredom one day. I found that they sounded tighter in the bottom end upon listening. I did not mix anything this way and I would be curious as to how this would play into my low end desicion making had I done some mixing with them. I haven't used the Tannoys in anger in years but it was an interesting experiment to try just for giggles. As passive listeners, I preferred the plugged Tannoys.
Old 24th February 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Granny Gremlin View Post
Words to live (mix) by for sure.
I completely agree. As I mentioned, I get the mixing work done on the mix cubes plus a pair of sealed monitors with 6.5" woofers and an f(3) of 60 Hz. Good headphones provide an additional take on the low end, when I want it. Those big speakers were fun for listening, though.

Cheers,

Otto
Old 24th February 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullseye View Post
If you want closed speakers maybe purchase a pair.

Ever looked around for those ??? try and you might become infinatley baffled

( most mfg of nearfeild mixing monitors have succumbed to the small box trend )
Old 24th February 2012
Lives for gear

Too bad none of y'all are anywhere near me. A bud and I are about to release a passive single driver transmission line monitor here locally. Hand made, solid wood cabinets, very well thought out, modder's dream. I'll post about them when we have the first production batch ready, but I've been loving the prototypes in my living room for a few months. They're not for everyone, but more of a niche product. I'm still bracing for the inevitable wave of criticisms (which is fair enough given what I've said on here).
Old 11th February 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullseye View Post
I am curious as to why anyone would want to do this? If you want closed speakers maybe purchase a pair. If you are having trouble with the bass I think the guy that advised using bass traps was probably correct.

Also don't think it would damage the speakers, just might not achieve anything useful.
Since the HS80 has the amp inside, I'm a little affraid of blocking the port and end up having problems because of heat. You know the HS80 electronics are very crappy chinese stuff...

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search