The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Splitting a mic preamp output
Old 10th May 2006
Gear Nut

Splitting a mic preamp output

I'd like to split the output from my mic preamp during tracking so I can route the signal both the the AD converter for recording and to the monitor controller for latency-free monitoring. Is it okay just make a TRS Y cable for the patchbay to route the signal to two places, or would this cause problems.
Old 10th May 2006

As long as your converter and monitor controller don't have input transformers, you can use a Y-cable for line level with no issues.

-tINY

Old 10th May 2006
I also asked this question not so long ago. Apparantly its also ok to 'mult' from the patchbay and this will probably be the way I do it at my new studio (if it ever gets finished).

I found this '4 in : 8 out XLR splitter' on ebay recently also, which caught my eye.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/19-RACK-MOUNT-...QQcmdZViewItem
Old 11th May 2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by tINY

As long as your converter and monitor controller don't have input transformers, you can use a Y-cable for line level with no issues.

-tINY

What's the problem with input transformers? I mult to transformer coupled inputs on a regular basis and haven't seen any problems. Fill us in.
Old 11th May 2006
Lives for gear

I asked a few people much smarter than me this question.......and the overwhelming response was use a Y-cable thumbsup
Old 11th May 2006

Input transformers can be 600 Ohm impedance - some outputs will have issues with driving 300 ohms.

-tINY

Old 11th May 2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by tINY

Input transformers can be 600 Ohm impedance - some outputs will have issues with driving 300 ohms.

-tINY

Yup, even without splitting 600 ohms a lot of gear can have problems driving a 600 ohn load as it is. A consumer CD player trying to push a 600 ohm circuit can sound pretty ugly.
An impedence issue. yeah, you definitly gotta stay within the range that the driver can "push", but that isn't an inherent transformer only scenario.
But point taken.

Last edited by Rick Sutton; 11th May 2006 at 09:01 AM..

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search