The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Tape (the non-audio kind) suggestions
Old 10th May 2006
Gear Maniac

Tape (the non-audio kind) suggestions

What kind of tape do you guys use when muffling drums? I've always used what I thought was gaff (or gaffer's tape) in the studio. I usually get a long strip, cut it in half (longway) and then fold it into 3 sections that look kind of like a sine wave with only postive amplitudes with 0 (straight line) in between the section. This tape is black and not glossy like duct tape, but more of a cloth material. I've always heard it called gaff tape. I went into 3 hardware stores today and asked for it and I may as well have been speaking another language. Am I totally off the mark here? Does anyone know what I'm talking about?

Last edited by 2A Batterie; 10th May 2006 at 08:12 PM..
Old 11th May 2006
Lives for gear

Try a photographic store and ask for 'gaffer tape'. Or in a hardware store, consider 'duct tape'. Commonly called 'duck tape' in error, but it's actually designed for airconditioning ducts.
Old 11th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwiburger
Try a photographic store and ask for 'gaffer tape'. Or in a hardware store, consider 'duct tape'. Commonly called 'duck tape' in error, but it's actually designed for airconditioning ducts.
Actually, that's backwards. "Duck Tape" was the original name because it was a major breakthrough that it was water resistant.

And besides, true Duct Tape is made of aluminum, not fabric, like Duck Tape.

The really good, sticky brand of gaffer tape is Polyken. Permacel is crappy and nowhere near as good.
Old 11th May 2006
Lives for gear

Have you ever tried Moongels? Guitar center has them.

They are easily removed and are reusable. I love them.

Todd
Old 11th May 2006
Lowdbrent
You should also get the little plastic lug nut lock thingies. I forget who makes them or what they are technically called. Once you tune, you put them on the lugs. They can't vibrate loose, because these things are up against the shell.

Another vote for Moon Goo things.
Old 11th May 2006
Gear Maniac

I use the moon gel pads, but for some reason I also like the sound of gaffer tape. I may be crazy and/or massively anal, but sometimes I prefer one over the other depending on which specific sound I'm going for.
Old 11th May 2006
Gear Guru

moongel is great because it doesn't choke the head and comes on/off really fast

on the other hand sometimes you want that tighter sound.

I often fold up a piece of cloth or paper towel and tape that to the head.

markertek has gaffer's tape

the best muffling is to tape a mackerel to the batter head. You need to change it every day though, because it starts to smell.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search