The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Many Aussie Quesitons
Old 10th May 2006
Gear Addict

Many Aussie Quesitons

I have some questions for everyone to discuss.. first I'd like to say that I used to go to sydney once a year. I went to school there. I feel I have more friends there than I do here and I LOVE aussie indie rock! I'll be moving my studio there, but I just had a few questions:

1: Is there room for another practice space building in sydney? like Troy Horse or Zen..

2: My studio is protools HD2XL, modded trident 65, a few fun compressors etc etc [and they have me: a very experienced producer engineer].. what is the going hourly rate for a place like that in sydney now? I guess it would be kinda like Velvet..

thanks all you slutz.com.au
Old 11th May 2006
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by I have some questions for everyone to discuss.. first I'd like to say that I used to go to sydney once a year. I went to school there. I feel I have more friends there than I do here and I LOVE aussie indie rock! I'll be moving my studio there, but I just had a few questions:

1: Is there room for another practice space building in sydney? like Troy Horse or Zen..

2: My studio is protools HD2XL, modded trident 65, a few fun compressors etc etc [and they have me: a very experienced producer engineer
.. what is the going hourly rate for a place like that in sydney now? I guess it would be kinda like Velvet..

thanks all you slutz.com.au
Geez, just come to Brisbane already! haha

Ok to answer your questions:

A) There are heaps of studios in and around Sydney, that doesn't mean to say they all have nice gear, nice sounding rooms
and great engineers. Without checking out every single studio some really nice studios are:

Velvet, Megaphon Studios, Sony Music, Studios 301,
Tiger Recording, Trackdown Recording to name a few

B) I'm not too sure about the rates, what do you think you are worth?
Also get onto a site that has the Sydney studios listed and check em all out and get the average rate,
then you have something to go off of.

Velvet's rates are as followed:
Studio A - $110 p/h w/engineer
- $995 p/12 hr day w/engineer
- $6500 p/week w/engnineer

Vegas - $75 p/h w/engineer
- $695 p/12 hr day w/engineer
- $4400 p/week w/engineer
Old 11th May 2006
Gear Maniac

1. I'd say yes - one that doesn't smell like a toilet with decent PAs would be good but maybe that wouldn't be a 'rehearsal' space.

2. Who knows? If you can bring your own work to the party it's always better. There's a lot of resistance to paying realistic prices in Sydney for studio hire but if people are coming for you then that won't matter.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search