The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Does Apple suck beyond any recognition??
Old 11th May 2006
Lives for gear

I had a G4 Dual 1.4 had a lot of problems with it. It's still under AppleCare.
To make a really long story short it has not worked for the past month and Apple Service cannot trace the problem.
I complained !!! for about 45 minutes on the phone!
So they are replacing it with a brand new G5!
I LOVE Apple!
Old 11th May 2006
Lives for gear

Well I installed PT HD on the new 2,3 and so far it seems to be stable.

As I read it here, all I can say is there are about 50% people who had trouble with Apple going from light to severe problems.

We all know technique isn't perfect but we expect solutions. I have been given a solution now after too much hassle anyway. But fine, if my Quad now appears to run stable I can forget all this bull****.

What's funny though, I posted this story, okay, a censored version of it, on apple discussion forum and the post got after about 6 hours LOL. Guess they can't take too much critic .

Anyway, I guess the Intels will be a lot better. I think IBM really delivered crap to Apple this time. If everything works out now, I guess I can forgive Apple, this time. It's just that I would really hate to go back to windoze...

Good luck with your Macs guys.
Old 11th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawrence_o
What's funny though, I posted this story, okay, a censored version of it, on apple discussion forum and the post got after about 6 hours LOL. Guess they can't take too much critic .
No they can't. I have posted frequently on Apple Discussions and they are no joke when it comes to pulling your post if it is even slightly negative... And I am a diehard Apple/Mac "lifetime" customer. I would never go to Windows as my primary platform. So I certainly "revere" Apple and Mr. Jobs but they are more than a little crazy when it comes to Public Relations and press...
Old 11th May 2006
Lives for gear

Just talked to the studio owner for whom I configured this 2,3 dual-core Mac. It has been running 56 tracks fully loaded with plug-ins last night and held it. So I guess this Mac is stable. Oeef!

Same here, as I said, If things work out now, I can forgive Mac. OS X is just so much faster and intuitive than windoze...

Cheers
Old 11th May 2006
Lives for gear

my four macs are running stellar. just great.

sorry to hear about your situation. sucks. even great companies make a dud sometimes. you obviously got one. i didn't, which only proves that apple can do it right and every so often they'll screw up. i don't think that they are a bad company overall. of course i haven't gotten the kind of dud that you have, so my bias is much better.

bunnerabb - you get the award for the most juvenile mac vs pc fanboy post ever. it's so bad i'm embarassed for you. suck it. you must be trying to get the next ricky julian award, and you are well on your way as a fanboy.
Old 11th May 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by lawrence_o
Same here, as I said, If things work out now, I can forgive Mac. OS X is just so much faster and intuitive than windoze...

Cheers

That's funny I feel that OSX is so much less intuitive and slower than "Windoze"...

heh

The point is that what you get used to and what you are comfortable with is what will seem fastest to you but blanket statements like your above are what fuels the pointless and endless Mac vs. "Windoze" debate. They both have good and bad points.

Also, I don't know but I would not let a company (any company not just Apple) off the hook so easy. I read your first post on this thread and I am pissed for you, now you sound like you are willing to let everything go?

I just don't understand this type of customer loyally, it is this loyalty that will keep Apple from changing their path. It is so easy to forget that "loyalty" works both ways. You are loyal to the company but they have a responsibility to provide you with a good product and good service as well. If you stick with them when they treat you like dirt they will continue to treat you like dirt.

I don’t want to get into a Mac or PC debate here I just think that people on both sides get locked into a habit of "I am a Mac user" or "I am a PC user" etc. It’s all rubbish to me. Pick the computer that is the most stable and fits your price point then move on to make music. Obviously in your first post the Mac proved to be less stable so I don't understand why you would be so willing to accept them with open arms just because their computer comes in a brown box that says Apple on the side.

And for the record I AM NOT TRYING TO START A MAC vs. PC FLAME WAR. I just want to see Apple get better (I have nothing against them and they are a good counter balance to the Windows world) but they will never get better if they are let off the hook after all the things you talked about in the opening of this thread.
Old 11th May 2006
Lives for gear

My first G4 was a total total lemon. Essentially it was DOA. They had to replace the entire motherboard. After days of unsuccessful phone tech-support, I had to carry the damn thing twenty miles to the only Apple Store in my area at that time (they are everywhere now) and they had it for ten days. Basically they gutted the thing and rebuilt it from the inside out. If it wasn't under Warranty, it would have cost me $1500.

Good thing both my sister and a good friend are Mac Techs, so now I'm working great, running Nuendo on OSX, but I'm still afraid to do upgrades!!!
Old 11th May 2006
Lives for gear

My G4 has been kicking butt for the past 5 years. It has performed flawlessly through multiple OS updates and even a processor upgrade.

If Apple was to fold and going the way of Windows was my only option, I'd save for a reel to reel instead.
Old 11th May 2006
Lives for gear

Well, I've been a devoted mac user for over 20 years now... having owned 5 different machines myself and having managed a number of others. The machines have always been completely solid and reliable throughout the years.... as a matter of fact, I don't think I ever had to send anything back to apple for repair.

However, over the past 2 or 3 years I've noticed a pretty significant ratio of "problems" with apple machines between those my friends and family own (most people I know use macs), and more recently my wife and I. Also seems apple has recalls on nearly every portable model they come out with for either battery issues or video problems.

My wife has had to take her 17" PB back twice for the same prob... initially thought to be the video card but more recently thought to be the logic board somehow destroying the video card, and 90% of the guts of my dual 1.8G5 were just replaced as well.

Not really sure what the deal is... but it definitely seems as though the QC isn't what it used to be at apple. Maybe it's because they're selling/producing more stuff these days?
---
c
Old 11th May 2006
Lives for gear

Well my combo drive in my ibook has just gone. It won't eject the disk that is in there, so it looks like i'm making a trip to the apple store today.
Old 11th May 2006
Gear Head
Quote:
Originally Posted by bunnerabb
I can build a PC that will dust any PowerMac into the weeds with 4 GB of RAM, in about two hours from parts to booting XP. For le$$ than half of a Mac.
Yes, unfortunately Apple hardware isn't as good as it could/should be. However, you're comparing a self-built maching using mostly OEM parts to one that is assembled for you. Compared to, say, a Dell, Apple computers really aren't that much more expensive. However, with a Mac, your money is going toward things that might not be a consideration when building your own (fancy case, for example). And Mac video cards always seem to cost a whole lot more than the exact same model for PCs.

I've gone the DIY route with PCs before as well. Obviously it's possible to put together a faster machine, but "...dust any PowerMac...For le$$ than half of a Mac" is a bit of an exaggeration.
Quote:
Seems a lot of **** to eat just to run Beat Detective.
No, it's so we don't have to run XP, which some would say "seems a lot of **** to eat" just to be able to do one's job. heh But enough with the platform wars stuff.

That said, I have not had any hardware problems with my G5 at all.

My PC's DVD drive stopped reading DVDs after about a year, but other than that, I've had no PC hardware problems either. Software is a different story, however. I will never use Windows again unless it is the only modern OS with pro DAW software, AND I am unable to run anything outdated.
Old 11th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowdy322
Sorry to hear of your problems because I have 4 Macs and they have been rock solid from day 1.The only problem I have had with my G5 was when I got the wrong memory before, that can be a nightmare.It is hard to try to convince you that it is an isolated case when you have had multiple problems.Overall, I believe that the Mac is a solid piece and sincerely hope you get yours worked out.The Apple store has always been great to me when I have had problems and in many cases have done tech work for me free.Hang in there, it will work out.
Not to bust your balls, but I thought it was funny how you say your Macs have been rock solid from day one. Then you say that the Apple store has given you free tech work. Why do you need tech work if they are rock solid?
Old 12th May 2006
Gear Maniac

G5's...

Wow

This thread is really disturbing. I've had my dual 2G G5 for 26 months now. The only problem I had initially was that the computer did not want to play with my MOTU, kept crashing, and after the first few days of that, I ditched the damn MOTU and bought a Multiface and haven't looked back since. The G5 and RME work like a dream, all day long, every day. But all of these G5 Quad stories are scary.

Mark Cattano
Magneto Studios
www.heedmusic.com
www.myspace.com/markcattano
Old 12th May 2006
Lives for gear

the best test of situations like this is how the company handles the problem. i'm glad i haven't had to test apple with this big of a problem before.
Old 12th May 2006
Gear Addict

I built a new PC AMD 64 Opteron Duel Core for 1/3 the amount of a G5 . I never had any issues with it.
Old 12th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrhooks
I've gone the DIY route with PCs before as well. Obviously it's possible to put together a faster machine, but "...dust any PowerMac...For le$$ than half of a Mac" is a bit of an exaggeration.
Obviously you haven't been paying attention. Even a basic AMD 64bit single core setup will run circles around most macs. And don't even look at Opterons.
Old 12th May 2006
I thought after round three it's a lemon and they have to replace it with a new one.
Old 12th May 2006
Lives for gear

yeah, i'd think apple ought to just replace the unit to make a customer happy.

to hattrick and bunnerabb, there ought to be an internet platform war rule to go along with the hitler rule. i still say that as soon as the pc fanboys can get bill gate's balls out of their mouths they should go to this thread..

http://marsh.prosoundweb.com/index.php/t/10432/

specially dedicated to fanboys without enough sense to turn threads into juvenile platform wars.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search