The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
So, what's my next compressor?
Old 10th May 2006
Lives for gear

I am using outboard compression right now mostly for tracking (and I don't compress very much when tracking) but I think that I am going to start using a little bit more often when mixing too. I am doing pretty straight forward hard rock stuff. this is what I have at the moment.
(2) distressors with BM+IL
(4) FMR RNC

so what next?
I was thinking maybe a LA-2A or a UA 1176 reissue, what would you look into next?
Old 10th May 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff16years

so what next?
I was thinking maybe a LA-2A or a UA 1176 reissue, what would you look into next?

Good choices.thumbsup
Old 10th May 2006
Lives for gear

Since the distressor can emulate the LA-2A and 1176 to a certain degree, I would go for a high quality 2 buss. A Drawmer 1968 would be a cool flavor. Pure heresay, but some people have said some good things about the new Ted Fletcher comp.
Old 10th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff16years
Go for the LA-2A!! The distressor is closer to an 1176 than an LA-2A so I think the LA-2A would suit you well.
Old 10th May 2006
the la-2a is a good choice
or

something clean maybe?
a vari-µ? (eh delta-µ )

or a stereo machine like the Roll 755 or Kultube?
api 2500?
Old 10th May 2006
Lives for gear

Or a Portico, or an Alan Smart, or a Tube Tech SMC 2B, or a Manley Vari-mu, or a Fairman, or a Drawmer 1969, or a Thermionic Phoenix, or a DW Fearn, or a Elysia Alpha, or an ART ProVLA, or a Manley Slam, or an SSL, or Amek 9098 comp/lim (used), or a DBX 160sl, or a Tapco, or a Behringer, or an Alesis, or a Mackie, or an Alto, or a DIY Gyraf, or an "insert your favorite purchase/lust item here..."

Sorry....

Buy what you NEED. Fill a large void. Try/listen before you buy.

Last edited by ArcCirDude; 10th May 2006 at 12:16 PM..
Old 10th May 2006
mja, bazillion choices.

IMHO first one has to decide what is the purpose of the compressor. sounds obvious maybe, but a vocal/intrument tracking/colour/drumbus/vocalbus/ 2bus/mastering/limiter task may require a different machine: some do some jobs better than others (sorry for that hazy remark)

listen, yes. of course.
eum I would go for a slightly different way of compressing. (optical or vari-µ)
to have a larger choice of treatment at your disposal.
the LA-2a suggestion remains a good one.
the P38 is supposed to have the LA-2a compression, but not the "sound".

there is another thread about that P38.
ArcCirDude, I guess you use one. is it as useful as claimed?
and do you use it in different applications?

Last edited by Reptil; 10th May 2006 at 12:42 PM..
Old 10th May 2006
Lives for gear

No, I don't use a P38. Never heard one. That's why I said "hearsay". It's judicial language meaning, "I heard sombody say that...." and is inadmissable in court. In other words, it don't mean ****. I have used a 1968 and it's a very good 2 buss compressor that's not limited to 2 buss duties. Excellent on rock and this is what the poster mainly does. I believe the P38 is limited to 2 buss duties due to the integral mid-side processing. I don't know.

Ask Lucey, he's tried the P38 and really likes it.
Old 10th May 2006
Lives for gear

Interesting that no one is mentioning a CL1B which is arguably almost identical to an LA2A - but at least the CL1B is still made by the originator rather than the LA2A which is reissued.

OR

Were you talking about getting an original LA2A
Old 10th May 2006
Maybe try something different, like an expander for a change. I think we've compressed all the lemmings into the sea by now.

This way you will be ready for the next stage of audio fashion, the re-birth of dynamics!

Jim Williams
Audio Upgrades
Old 10th May 2006
I love the expander on my Kultube.
controllable and different vibe than a gate alltogether.
If something sounds a bit squishy, and like a long bbbbbllllluuuuurrrrrbbbb
I key the expander on a the driving force of the song
this can and is used creatively too
of course
if the song
permits
and I like M-S but not always. it can rip a balance apart
Attached Thumbnails
So, what's my next compressor?-lemming.jpg  

Last edited by Reptil; 11th May 2006 at 12:03 AM..
Old 11th May 2006
Gear Head

Less then month ago, I ran vocal tracking session where we used Daking FET II compressor (Brauner Phantom AE -> A Designs MP2 -> Daking FET II -> Apogee 200) on male vocal. It sounded fantastic! Daking FET is a great comp that can withstand heavy gain reductions while maintaining transparent and lively sound. It amazed me. I love 1176s, they'll have my lifelong appreciation, but this Daking swept me off my feet! I love comps that can preserve those small details even when under heavy GR.

My vote for Daking FET II!!
Old 11th May 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shot
Less then month ago, I ran vocal tracking session where we used Daking FET II compressor (Brauner Phantom AE -> A Designs MP2 -> Daking FET II -> Apogee 200) on male vocal. It sounded fantastic! Daking FET is a great comp that can withstand heavy gain reductions while maintaining transparent and lively sound. It amazed me. I love 1176s, they'll have my lifelong appreciation, but this Daking swept me off my feet! I love comps that can preserve those small details even when under heavy GR.

My vote for Daking FET II!!

Why would you need to heavy GR a vocal you are tracking?
Old 11th May 2006
Gear Maniac
You don't, but you could if you wanted! I'll second the Daking FET II! Rob
Old 11th May 2006
Lives for gear

Well, if your on a budget a pair of used dbx 160xt's would be a nice addition for rock based stuff

ERic
Old 11th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by thethrillfactor
Why would you need to heavy GR a vocal you are tracking?
Ask Michael on his current Skid Row project heh .

One reason might be to have the "finished" sound recorded to digital and not having to go back to analog again.

I personally like to record the vocal as close to being done during tracking and only do a little faderriding during mixing, especially if it's a rocksong.

Greetings,
Dirk
Old 11th May 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by DirkB
Ask Michael on his current Skid Row project heh .

One reason might be to have the "finished" sound recorded to digital and not having to go back to analog again.

I personally like to record the vocal as close to being done during tracking and only do a little faderriding during mixing, especially if it's a rocksong.

Greetings,
Dirk

That's if you are mixing it.

If you are not and someone else is you will F*ck the guy next up from you.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search