The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
is the 3630 good for anything?
Old 20th September 2006
Lives for gear
i used to own one, but blew it up (by accident, sadly) at some point and that was that.

while it lasted, though, it was really something when i ran the kick and snare of my yamaha RY30 drum machine through it; you could get the biggest, fattest, most distorted and damn-near useless (but not quite, really) sounds out of it. not exactly a piece for the hi-fi set, but one that's good for certain lowbrow tasks.
Old 23rd September 2006
Lives for gear

Anyone tried this mod (gate disable) besides me? Wondering what you think. It makes a big difference IMO.
Old 23rd September 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tibbon View Post
There's a Black Lion Audio mod for it, that's supposed to help.

Things that you could use it for

1) Giving it to someone to get them on your good side, and they think it's the ****
2) Putting in a live rack
3) Doorstop
4) Rack space filler
5) Something to A/B against your Manley/UA/etc compressors that easily impresses clients
6) Strip the case, and build another compressor/preamp/eq and put it in that box
lol, totally agree. not a fan. i had one in the rehearsal studio back in the 90s.
we tried it a few times for recording, and gave up on it.

Old 24th September 2006
Gear Addict

If you know how to mod it to make the VCA chip comply to all of That Corp's application notes and specs, it's actually a decent box. I did some analysis a couple of years ago and found that Alesis did some goofy stuff in their implementation of the 2150 VCA and this goofyness is the root cause of the infamous 3630 sound. Once mod'ed to fully comply with That Corp's recommendations it sounds as good as any other That Corp 2150 equipped compressor - which is most of the $100 to $400 tier.

I retrofit a couple of 3630's with the newer 2180 VCA chip (again implemented to fully comply with That Corp recomendations) and OPA4134 op amps and these are very usable boxes - about as good as can be expected out of chip based compressors IMO.

But if you can't do this sort of stuff, I agree with all of the suggestions by Tibbon...
Old 24th September 2006
Lives for gear

Come on guys. It's a $100 compressor. I wouldn't, nor would I recommend anyone else spend any more money on it. Let alone $100+ additional it used to cost for the Black lion mod. I have one of these lying around and had heard about the mod mentioned in Tape op. It does make it sound a lot more musical when the gate is disabled IMO. I know a lot of people have these because of the price and would appreciate knowing about this mod if it makes it sound better. But unless you have the time and money to waste, I wouldn't recommend modding it beyond this free mod. Just my thoughts, no offense to anyone intended that have put time/money into these more extensive mods.
Old 24th September 2006
Lives for gear
I suggest the Funk Logic buy up all remaning units and make it the flagship of their line.
Old 25th September 2006
i just had mine outfitted with the vac rac mod heh
Old 25th September 2006
Gear Addict

i think gear bashing sucks.Does the saying( Its not the gear its engineer behind it?)Mean anything.Ihave and use this inexpensive 2 chn compressor on some subbed drum tracks its just as good as any compressor out there.You must know your gear and it limitations.In retrospect this might not be the compressor for star quality vox or the compressor for that award winning bass sound,but it has its uses in any studio
Old 25th September 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by studio825 View Post
i think gear bashing sucks.
as does gear / brand loyalty, for the same reason you mentioned.

loyalty to any gear / platforms / software is a waste of time.

at one time or another, we use everything heh

i think the main point here is that you don't want a piece of gear tainting
or degrading your signal path quality / sound too much,
which happens with cheaper components -

sometimes there are ways around this,
but as the saying goes, junk in- junk out...

but hey, if you can produce hits with your 3630, who am i to argue...you go, girlfriend!!

it's certainly not impossible - let's poll gearslutz, and see if anyone's had a hit
using those puppies - SOMEBODY must have.

they're probably passable for ring tones heh
Old 25th September 2006
Lives for gear

If you can't get great sounds with minimal gear, you'll do no better with high end gear. Yes I have much better comps, but I'm not afraid to slum it so to speak. Give me what you got and I'll make music. Thats what it's about.
Old 25th September 2006
have we gotten oursleves into a wee little pissing contest here?

just whip your sh&t out, my man heh let's see it?
Old 25th September 2006
Lives for gear

First, you missed my point brother. I was agreeing with Studio825 that it should always be about the engineer, not the gear he's using. I am not a gear snob. That said, this is gearslutz right? I currently have a Empirical Labs EL-7 fatso and distressor and a Purple MC-77 which I will soon be selling. I'm very sure many people on this board can kill that list with ease. I am finding myself using less and less comps these days, unless I'm going for an effect. As you yourself implied, I also want as little and as high of quality components in my chain, unless I'm looking for color. I also have a 3630 and some dbx comps in my live racks, if that counts.
Old 25th September 2006
Lives for gear

Maybe a limiter before your headphone amp so you don't accidentally roast the headphones or the musician's ears? I use one for that.
Old 25th September 2006
Lives for gear

Jesus, is this thread still going?
Wish I'd never started it now... heh heh heh

In the end I didn't keep the 3630- sold it for a lil more than I paid and ended up getting another D&R fet compressor. thumbsup thumbsup
Old 28th September 2008
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by dale116dot7 View Post
Maybe a limiter before your headphone amp so you don't accidentally roast the headphones or the musician's ears? I use one for that.
Awesome recommendation. I think that would make a great place for it.
Old 28th September 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by aetucker1 View Post
i believe it is on the guitar tracks on one of the smashing pumpkins albums.....boy i am a lot of help aren't I.
ya apparently mellon collie was a modded jcm800 with a 3630 in the effects loop (i think that's where they had it).
Old 28th September 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcgood View Post
Daft Punk used it on such hits as "Around the World" and "One More Time." Those guys study compression like many others study guitar tone so don't expect that sound to come easy. From what I understand they use the sidchain function...

bcgood
O course it's art and subjective, but if it's one thing I can't stand about Daft Punk, it's their use of compression. I love that one more time song, but I can't listen to it without getting seasick. I wish they made a version where the entire mix wasn't jumping 20 dB up and down with the kick drum. I get dizzy just thinking about that mix.

I think there was a thread a while back about Daft Punk and I joked that it sounded like they used a cheap 3630 compressor on the mix keyed to the kick drum. And someone told me that's what they actually did. It kinda ruined the joke. Hehe.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search