The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Sennheiser E906 !!! NOT TOO SHABBY!
Old 26th December 2019
Gear Guru

I'm a pretty big fan of the e906. I am using it currently on bass cabinet, a 1x15". I think it would make a great tom mic but I only have one.

On electric guitar the e609 can once in a while seem appropriate, but more often than not, is just too bright to the point of slight pain in the ears. The e906 is preferred for this reason, it's similar but not so ugly thin sounding.

Clean sounds have been sparkly, fast transient, crisp and defined. Kind of exceptional I would say. Grit/crunch tones also sound great. I'm not really sure if I remember what it sounds like with fuzz or high gain. Since I am changing mics all the time on the guitar cabinets.

Usually leave it in the "neutral" switch position, not boosted or cut.
Old 27th December 2019
Gear Maniac

Huge fan of SM57 here, but I picked up a 906 for a good price and I think I like it better than a 57 on guitar cabs... I’ve been experimenting with different combinations and it seem to pair well with all kinds of mics... sm57, r121, r84... right now my favorite combination to start with on GTR cabs is the 906 (flat) and KSM32.
Old 27th December 2019
Lives for gear
409-U3 was a great mic. cart pattern
Cost to much to make
They stopped production, came out with the 609. cart pattern
Sounded like crap.
They stopped production, came out with the 906. super cart pattern

906 not as good as the 409, better than the 609. has 3 position eq. With extra highs it's the 609, with extra lows its the 409, in the middle it's 906.

Note, the cap in the 409/509/E12 are not the same as a 407. same cap....but not housed in metal...so it sounds different.
Old 27th December 2019
Lives for gear

I bought it more for convenience than anything else, I love not having a mic stand in my small apartment... however, although I've only used it a little so far, my m88 and probably my sm57 sound better... hoping i learn to like it more, or find better placement/settings
Old 27th December 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by patshep View Post
I bought it more for convenience than anything else, I love not having a mic stand in my small apartment... however, although I've only used it a little so far, my m88 and probably my sm57 sound better... hoping i learn to like it more, or find better placement/settings
My Audix i5s sound a lot better too! But I wonder, are you placing the 906 at the side of the cone, not the middle? It can make a huge difference.
Old 27th December 2019
Gear Guru

I like the e906 and I don't like the i5, but hey, that's just me. To offer an alternate opinion for the sake of this thread. i5 never did it for me on cabs.
Old 27th December 2019
906's have a lot of use in my studio. They sound great on a lot of sources. Placement is important, as usual.
Old 27th December 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyxx View Post
I like the e906 and I don't like the i5, but hey, that's just me. To offer an alternate opinion for the sake of this thread. i5 never did it for me on cabs.
No prob, to each their own. I find i5 sounds better any place you might want a 57. But that is not the topic here, so never mind. I like e906 too!
Old 28th December 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by loujudson View Post
My Audix i5s sound a lot better too! But I wonder, are you placing the 906 at the side of the cone, not the middle? It can make a huge difference.
I've tried it like halfway between the cone and the edge and closer to the edge, I will finally have a little time to play with it tomorrow. The m88 is just great on my style of guitar, which is pretty jazz oriented... I've only got a princeton reverb to try it on now
📝 Reply