The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Engineering/Sound "Facts" that you don't believe
Old 11th May 2006
Analog is better than digital.

Nothing approaches the sound of live musicians coming off the monitors, once it's sent to any storage medium, tape or conversion, it's all downhill.

Jim Williams
Audio Upgrades
Old 11th May 2006
Lives for gear

Charles, I simply love your posts on this.
Old 12th May 2006
tsd
Gear Maniac

i have a few pre amp ones...

that pre amps need tubes in them to sound good.

that neves have a magic mojo that no other pre can equal

(but for some reason my too favorite pres are telefunken's and 1084's!!!)
Old 12th May 2006
Lives for gear
Quote:
That analog sounds better than digital.

That there's not enough DSP power in DAWs to make plug-in reverbs sound as good as high-end outboard verbs.

That plug-ins don't sound as good as external hardware.

That a digital summing buss can't sound as good as an analog buss.

That analog summing sounds wider + has more depth than digital summing.
all those things are true.
Old 12th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by UPRYZ
Things I dont believe:

omni patterns are really omnidirectional
They are at low frequencies... at high frequencies its a different story.
Old 12th May 2006
FX smörgåsbord user

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwittman
all those things are true.
Keep telling yourself that Willie.
Old 12th May 2006
Jai guru deva om

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Spark
Dual capsule omni is a terrible representation of omni pattern...but a true omni gets much closer. Spin any dual capsule mic in omni mode and you're not going to hear much over 10k at the sides...

War
Old 12th May 2006
Gear Head

That an audio cable "comes into its own after 100 hours of break-in, sounding more full and musical with a wider sound stage and a clarity that allows one to hear the rosin on the bow of the second chair violin."
Old 12th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Williams
Analog is better than digital.

Nothing approaches the sound of live musicians coming off the monitors, once it's sent to any storage medium, tape or conversion, it's all downhill.

Jim Williams
Audio Upgrades
Interesting comment, Jim.

And, more than likely, true.
Old 12th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Dye
That vocal tuning is evil.
Yep, nothing like the great sound of an auto-tuned vocal
Old 12th May 2006
Lives for gear

melodyne 3 is really cool for slight bumping of pitch and time. sounds pretty human. i'm way against completely chopping and editing endless awful vocal takes, but if it's just one note that's slightly off and the performance is incredible, melodyne is awesome.
Old 12th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jose Mrochek
that ¨people can be induced to liking a type of music or band because of $$$$$ promotion¨
I dunno, Keller Williams would disagree, (old song featuring the lyrics: "Over-play is the only way...") Not exactly what the song meant, but...

Some people actually can be induced. Look at popular clothing fads. Where did the trucker hat go? For those who use music as an identity, or as wallpaper, I think that being induced into liking something is quite common. The more they see it, through video, promo, whatever, the more desirable it becomes. The more they see it/hear it, the more the see/hear how they can identify themselves by it.

Young people are very vunerable to identifying with something, not on merit, but by the social statements it makes. They don't have to like it, and perhaps they don't. But I would venture that when it comes to being accepted by your peers by identifying with a socially common characteristic like musical taste, they are induced to "liking" something simply by the power of suggestion and the need to be a herd being.

Besides this, a person's like or dislike for music is a matter of taste, and there can be no accounting for matters of taste.

I guess this is not so much for responsible adults, who are capable of making decisions on their own, but for teenyboppers, the alpha or hot click of the locale will influence their decision making.

This said, I have to agree that the promotion of certain artist or types of music is absolutely horrifying. I dont like how labels promote their products. Payola, selling image, sex, etc...

my $.02
Old 12th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
I think I know that most of those things on your list actually ARE true.

here's what i don't believe:

ANYTHING old must be great

a 'selection' of mic pres is necessary, or even desireable.

a mic needs to be matched to a mic pre

the current state of digital sounds as good as state of the art analogue

the digital "revolution" will lead to many more great records being made

mastering is unnecessary

new guitars just need to "age" to sound as good as the old ones

modern records require different recording techniques than in the past

California wine is as good as the best of France or Italy

carbohydrates are bad for you

I agree with everything on your list except the wine comment, viva Northern California!!! : )

bcgood
Old 12th May 2006
Gear Maniac

Quote:

carbohydrates are bad for you

Right on!!!

hehehehehe
Old 12th May 2006
Lives for gear

I'm glad cutting and boosting eq was mentioned!!!
Old 12th May 2006
Gear Nut

Quote:
.......Good to have you here again dude.--CK
Old 12th May 2006
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by zonkola
That an audio cable "comes into its own after 100 hours of break-in, sounding more full and musical with a wider sound stage and a clarity that allows one to hear the rosin on the bow of the second chair violin."
--Dude....whoever told you that should be kicked in the nads, thats ********, i guess i will return all my Mogami and go buy a bunch of used cable...--CK
Old 12th May 2006
FX smörgåsbord user

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckswartwood
--Dude....whoever told you that should be kicked in the nads, thats ********, i guess i will return all my Mogami and go buy a bunch of used cable...--CK
Yeah, totally. But the guys gotta way with words.

I guess you could say he's a turd polisher of bull****.

And thanks, ck, glad to be here.
Old 12th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by respirator
Fun thread!

One thing I actually knows a little about (as opposed to gear): Wine. Californian wines are fine, but they cannot compete with the best French wines. Show me a Californian wine that beats a Haut Brion or similar. And in Europe Californian wines seems to be overpriced.

If you're into whites, then Germany is a place to watch. A grüner veltliner or grauer burgunder from a top wine maker is bliss.

Oh, and I don't believe that analog sounds better (in a clinical sense). It sounds more distorted in a very pleasing manner.
Wines... Man, for me the Aussie's kick everyones butt.... As far as the full bodied Cabernet, Merlot, Shiraz varieties are concerned. Brown Brothers, Wolf Blass...yummy.

I don't believe that Tannoy's super tweeter or any other 20khz to 50khz lets you hear all that air and "undertones" that we've been missing out on. If we were meant to hear that high we'd be mixing by echo location.

Last edited by ArcCirDude; 12th May 2006 at 10:59 AM..
Old 12th May 2006
Mastering

"A Mike has to be matched up to a mike preamp"

Every time we go into the studio and do a recording and get something "magical", we tend to get superstitious about all the tools we used. Then we go back into the studio with a different musician playing a different vibe and things just sound completely different. Yes, there are mikes that are more suitable for given musicians and preamps that work better for given applications. Yes, the better the microphone and the preamp, the better the sound. But one thing we tend to forget each time is that good microphones have more in COMMON with each other than their differences, and often, the differences between mikes, preamps and other equpment are totally SWAMPED by differences in sessions, players, arrangements and performances. Furthermore, a great engineer in a good room can get better sound out of a set of SM-57's than a mediocre engineer using M49's, U87's, and DPA's (substitute your favorite mike here).

So, what do we believe?
Old 12th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
California wine is as good as the best of France or Italy
The best Wine cames from Chile! heh

"I only believe in me"....john lennon
Old 12th May 2006
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwiburger
The Porshe will probably be reposessed when they catch him too ...
Porsche. Sorry, I have a thing for vintage 911's.
Old 12th May 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Spark
The AKG CK-22 omni is omni up to 20k, although it's an exception.

Jim Williams
Audio Upgrades
Old 12th May 2006
Lives for gear

"Analogue gear keeps it value, and is a good investment"

Bull****. Everything from SSL's to Minimoogs have gone down in value over the past few years. What does a 4000 series SSL cost used? new? Huge difference.

Compare what things like Minimoogs cost when they came out (or any analogue synth, or even 1176's) and then do the inflation adjustments. You'll see that they are actually quite down in cost.
Old 12th May 2006
Lives for gear
Quote:
I do, Chucky.

because I can't lie to myself.
Old 12th May 2006
FX smörgåsbord user

That if a tree falls in the woods + no one's listenning... it doesn't make a sound.
Old 12th May 2006
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by joaquin

BS sir the best wine comes from my daughter asking for MONEY!! "Daddy can I some monnnnnnney" !

Glenn
Old 12th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tibbon
There's quite a few things that many people seem to accept as 'fact' that I don't believe. Some of them are due to not experiencing them yet, and some of them are because I just don't hear them.

What don't you believe?

Here's mine:

- The models of gear that are hardest to find are the best sounding (thinking of 1176's among other things)

- ITB sounds bad (I think it comes down to the engineer)

- $400 power cables make things sound better

- 192 sounds better

- DAW's add things improperly and better than you can do electronically

- TDM sounds better than RTAS

- Old (and by old I mean only 25-50 years) guitars sound better (I am a total guitar and amp snob, but I don't go for the idea that a guitar is worth 4500 more than a new one, simply because it was from 1968).

- Old amps sound better

- NOS tubes/Transformers/Pickups/etc... sound better

I think that basically a lot of gear sounds like you 'want' it to. If you've just dropped $4500 on an original LA2A, then you will convince yourself that in every way it sounds better than a new reissue, when all you are really hearing is leaky caps, dirty connections, and resistors that no longer are holding their original proper values.
There is some truth to all what you have stated. 192 does sound better if you are recording a vocal and acoustic guitar. No Doubt. I prefer a GOOD old AC- 30 to a new one. I prefer the old 1176 to the new 1176.

www.bluethumbproductions.com
Old 12th May 2006
Quote:

I haven't seen as many Chilean wines in the stores lately - you guys on a drinking binge down there?

Oh - "You can hear the difference between good cables and exotic, totaly overpriced ones"

(Hell, I can taste a difference in the expensive wines, sometimes, but they aint worth 3-5 times as much - Those cables are more than 10x as much and, other than guitar-to-amp, they sound the same...)

-tINY

Old 12th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:

I dig the Aussie stuff but Maipo Valley has some EXCELLENT wines! Something about the water spinning down the drain the other way down under or something.... Gimme those south of the equator reds! South Africa has some really good ones, as well.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search