The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Bowed Saw
Old 9th May 2006
Gear Head

Bowed Saw

Hi everyone, I just got a job doing some remote recording overdubs, and the session involves a bowed saw player and a stroh violin player.

Tracking the stroh won't be a problem, but I've never miced a bowed saw, and was wondering if anyone had suggestions.

She'll be relatively iso'd, and I'm thinking a closer mic and a medium distance mic. Mic choices are a bit limited unfortuantely for this session: 2 Royer 121s, 2 AT4047s, 1 421U5, 1 baby blue bottle, maybe a couple earthworks omnis.

I imagine the sound source isn't as streamlined as say, a stroh violin, but the room might not sound good (never been there)...any suggestions? i anticipate some time being put into mic placement experimentation...

thanks.
Old 9th May 2006
Lives for gear

i actually have experience with this, both from the recording perspective and the perspective of playing the saw -- it can sound a lot like a theremin, especially with cool processing -- it can be pretty ethereal and spooky... i highly recommend the 121's (they're smooth and warm in a way that's very good for the saw) -- also, position the mics in places somewhat away from the direct sound of the bow against the edge of the saw -- you rosin the bow to play saw, and that produces a bit of an edgy sound right at the bow and saw connection -- above and away from that and it usually smooths out nicely... have fun
Old 9th May 2006
Lives for gear

From a "sawyer's" viewpoint, analogjeff is right - don't mic directly facing the bowed side of the saw - scratchy, rosined bowing sounds crappy. However, I'd be a bit wary of using the R-121 unless you have TONS of gain, and can get far enough away to get a substantial signal. The ribbon might 'round' the sound a bit, but will lose some of the brilliance you might want.

IMO, it really depends on the context of the production: if you want it to sound more like a theramin, close(r) micing might be best, but for the most captivating aspect of listening to the saw (hopefully played well - too often not the case...), having it miced a few feet away in a great sounding room is king. I'd do this if the production warrants - using the Earthworks might be the best bet for this - stereo would be awesome! The singing nature of it's pure waveform is often captured best when sounding in an acoustically beautiful place - of course you can do that by adding ambience after the fact, but - nothing can replicate good micing...

best with it,

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search