The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Chandler Sidecar / Mini Desk? Nice... Effects Pedals, Units & Accessories
Old 9th May 2006
Lives for gear

Chandler Sidecar / Mini Desk? Nice...

I did a search, but i haven't found anything about this console on GS yet.
Look at these pictures - I found them well hidden on Chandler's MySpace page...
Doesn't this desk look gorgeous?
I think I need one of these asap... heh

(Sorry if someone has posted the pictures before. I couldn't find anything here yet...)
Attached Thumbnails
Chandler Sidecar / Mini Desk? Nice...-sideview2.jpg  

Last edited by airmate; 9th May 2006 at 08:30 PM..
Old 9th May 2006
Lives for gear

snip
Attached Thumbnails
Chandler Sidecar / Mini Desk? Nice...-frontview.jpg  
Old 9th May 2006
Lives for gear

snap
Attached Thumbnails
Chandler Sidecar / Mini Desk? Nice...-cool.jpg  
Old 9th May 2006
Jam
Lives for gear

My new forbidden love.

Jam
Old 9th May 2006
bee
Lives for gear

That thing looks Beautiful! I want one. What's the price on that bad boy?
Old 9th May 2006
Lives for gear

Beautiful!
Old 9th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bee
That thing looks Beautiful! I want one. What's the price on that bad boy?
A lot. heh
Old 9th May 2006
Lives for gear

i guess that thingy is in a more or less early prototype stadium. some parts even look as if they were vintage tg parts...look at the meters and the "correlator" module, for instance...

here are some more pictures:

chandler console pics

wade, where are you?

Last edited by airmate; 9th May 2006 at 08:37 PM..
Old 9th May 2006
Lives for gear

Wow!

I don't think I wanna know the price.
Old 10th May 2006
Lives for gear

Beautiful, i love that old school vibe.
Old 10th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by airmate
i guess that thingy is in a more or less early prototype stadium. some parts even look as if they were vintage tg parts...look at the meters and the "correlator" module, for instance...

wade, where are you?
Im right here :-)
That console is my prototype console made with all Vintage TG modules. Abbey Road engineers are showing up today actually to take a look at it and decide on a final layout for it.
It has TG1, TG2, and TG Channel MKII on each input and has a couple prototype TG12345 eq modules as well.
The idea will be to offer an open configuration where you can choose TG Channel MKII or TG12345 eqs and possibly the new GERMANIUM Tone Control eq as well. I also want to make it so Limiters are optional so there is a less expensive version...
Right now it is 8 buss but we will be looking at how many busses/sends we can fit.
It also has a full control room and you can plug one of our rack mixers into the buss for expanding the amount of inputs at a lower price.
Mine is 12 main channels and 16 Mini Mixer Channels for a total of 28 inputs...
Let you know as it progresses.
Best wishes
Wade
[email protected]
Old 10th May 2006
Lives for gear

dig

your

bad

self

wade!
Old 10th May 2006
Lives for gear

Hey Wade,

If it's alright with you to post here, what's your production order these days? Are you focussing on the Germ com, Eq, etc etc. I'm still hoping for a Germ mixer before I have to buy something else. dfegad
Old 10th May 2006
Gear addict

I'm actually salivating.
Old 10th May 2006
Lives for gear

Hey Wade...from the pics I see I have to ask the following important question. Are you modules 10xx Neve compatible????!!!
Old 10th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bump Music
Hey Wade,

If it's alright with you to post here, what's your production order these days? Are you focussing on the Germ com, Eq, etc etc. I'm still hoping for a Germ mixer before I have to buy something else. dfegad
Right now we are concentrating on these in no particular order...
GERMANIUM Tone Control (eq)
GERMANIUM Comp
TG12345 expanded "Beatle" eq
TG console
Old 10th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by syra
Hey Wade...from the pics I see I have to ask the following important question. Are you modules 10xx Neve compatible????!!!
If we stay with the original TG module format (most likely) they are not. Shorter and wider...
You can boo and hiss now :-)
Old 10th May 2006
Gear Head

Very nice. It looks like you have the faders behaving in the old way of pulling the faders towards you increases the level. This is authentic for the period, but might be a little too retro for most engineers that are used to the modern paradigm of "up is louder" ;-).
Old 10th May 2006
Lives for gear

[QUOTE=wade goeke]Right now we are concentrating on these in no particular order...
GERMANIUM Tone Control (eq)
TG12345 expanded "Beatle" eq

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH, EQs!!!!!!!!!!!!!! heh
Old 10th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Ettel
Very nice. It looks like you have the faders behaving in the old way of pulling the faders towards you increases the level. This is authentic for the period, but might be a little too retro for most engineers that are used to the modern paradigm of "up is louder" ;-).

They are actually the later ones that work normally. Ive never seen the reverse ones in person. The old TG desks had standard ones as well...
Old 10th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by wade goeke
If we stay with the original TG module format (most likely) they are not. Shorter and wider...
You can boo and hiss now :-)
boooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo heh

Seriously though, it would be nice to have another format that gives you access to many modules besides the api 500 . The Neve 10xx format is also used by wunder (and they are working on a new tube pre) and since you gonna have more than just pres (comps and Eqs), I think it would be the perfect platform to own next to the api one.

Old 11th May 2006
Lives for gear

wade, thanks for taking part in this discussion!

would you want to tell us some more details about the different EQs you are working on? will there be a stereo unit? what about the differences between the new EQs and the EQ section of the tg channel?
do i need all of them?

btw: i just bought a germanium today... heh
Old 11th May 2006
Lives for gear

Hey Wade, any timeline on the sidecar ? We won't hold you to it, but if you had to guess . . . . . this year ? Within two years ?

Ohh, and if you want me to put the prototype through it's paces just let me know
Old 11th May 2006
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by robmix
Ohh, and if you want me to put the prototype through it's paces just let me know
He speaks for all of us.

Also, at the risk of bombarding Wade with timeline questions, just wondering if we'll see either the GERM eq or comp (or both) this year? Thanks!
Old 11th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by syra
boooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo heh

Seriously though, it would be nice to have another format that gives you access to many modules besides the api 500 . The Neve 10xx format is also used by wunder (and they are working on a new tube pre) and since you gonna have more than just pres (comps and Eqs), I think it would be the perfect platform to own next to the api one.

I think the Abbey Road guys will want to stay as true to the old module layout as possible to maintain as much or the old sound and function as possible...
Its all still up in the air though as we have not decided on a final layout and I still need to get the final go ahead from them...
Old 11th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by airmate
wade, thanks for taking part in this discussion!

would you want to tell us some more details about the different EQs you are working on? will there be a stereo unit? what about the differences between the new EQs and the EQ section of the tg channel?
do i need all of them?

btw: i just bought a germanium today... heh
The GERMANIUM Tone Control eq is a mono unit that has both active and passive eq circuits functioning together. It is all inductor based and has the gain and feedback controls from the pre amp for tone variation. It also uses the same amp section as the GERM pre.
The low end is the passive section and functions in two ways by switching a toggle.
1) Interactive- This is similar to the Pultec/Lang circuits where you boost and cut at the same time and get strange and wonderful eq curves by doing so.
2) Independent- This is more similar to a standard console eq pass filter where you can boost the low end and shave off the very bottom to remove the fatty lows below.
The setup allows for a good amount of tone shaping and selection by choosing between eq style.
The mid and hi eq are active and similar (but definitly not a copy) in design to the old 1057 modules. Nine selections per band. It tends to sound like a 1073 (but is definitly not a copy) that does not get harsh and nasty when you are boosting like on those units. Mostly because of the germanium trannys.
The Q on the mid range is set so that it gets gently wider as you go higher in the range. Makes it good for cutting crappy mids or boosting smooth highs because each frequency is tuned specifically. Ive always hated how you cant cut effectivly on 1073 type modules but the boost sounded awesome. This is an attenpt to find some middle ground and more flexiblilty with that type of circuit.

The TG12345 eq is a stereo unit that takes the original two band eq from the "Beatles" console and totally kicks its butt. We've turned it into a four band plus cut filter by copying the eq curves onto more frequency points as well as making the high and low bands switchable between bell/shelf. The concept for this was developed by myself, Abbey Road chief engineer Pete Cobbin, and Abbey Road Business development manager Tom Williams.
Abbey Road has been comparing it to their original MKII desk and are very happy with the results. Same sound with awesome flexibility. It should be noted that this unit is also germanium transistor based and uses the MKI germanium line amplifier from the earliest TG circuits.

Whew. I think that cover it. Man I type slow....
Cheers
Wade
:-)
Old 11th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by robmix
Hey Wade, any timeline on the sidecar ? We won't hold you to it, but if you had to guess . . . . . this year ? Within two years ?

I cant make any promises on this because consoles are such a big step...
I hope it will be out by NAMM next January but......?
Old 11th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by newnes
He speaks for all of us.

Also, at the risk of bombarding Wade with timeline questions, just wondering if we'll see either the GERM eq or comp (or both) this year? Thanks!
I hope to have the GERMANIUM Tone Control eq and the Abbey Road TG12345 expanded module both out by October AES show. It is possible that the GERM EQ could be out sooner as I am basically finished with it...

Best
Wade
Old 11th May 2006
Gear Maniac

Hey, Wade...

You mention that the Germ Tone Control will have the same amp section as the Germanium pre. Does this mean that the Tone Control is a mic preamp plus EQ?
Old 11th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crandall1
Hey, Wade...

You mention that the Germ Tone Control will have the same amp section as the Germanium pre. Does this mean that the Tone Control is a mic preamp plus EQ?

i was thinking the same thing. this discription sounds like the germanium tone control is a "germanium channel"...

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search