The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Chandler Sidecar / Mini Desk? Nice...
Old 11th May 2006
Lives for gear

Hey Wade,

What are the channel configs? Mono units or stereo?
Old 12th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crandall1
Hey, Wade...

You mention that the Germ Tone Control will have the same amp section as the Germanium pre. Does this mean that the Tone Control is a mic preamp plus EQ?
No. Since it is part passive it uses the gain from the mic amp amp to make up for the loss in the passive circuit. It does have some gain left because of how the Feedback/gain function but not really enough for mic gain....

The cool thing is that the Feedback and Gain can be used to great effect on line sources and in conjunction with the actual eq controls...
Old 12th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bump Music
Hey Wade,

What are the channel configs? Mono units or stereo?
GERMANUIM Tone Control is single Channel.
TG12345 eq is stereo.
Old 19th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by wade goeke
The GERMANIUM Tone Control eq is a mono unit that has both active and passive eq circuits functioning together. It is all inductor based and has the gain and feedback controls from the pre amp for tone variation. It also uses the same amp section as the GERM pre.
The low end is the passive section and functions in two ways by switching a toggle.
1) Interactive- This is similar to the Pultec/Lang circuits where you boost and cut at the same time and get strange and wonderful eq curves by doing so.
2) Independent- This is more similar to a standard console eq pass filter where you can boost the low end and shave off the very bottom to remove the fatty lows below.
The setup allows for a good amount of tone shaping and selection by choosing between eq style.
The mid and hi eq are active and similar (but definitly not a copy) in design to the old 1057 modules. Nine selections per band. It tends to sound like a 1073 (but is definitly not a copy) that does not get harsh and nasty when you are boosting like on those units. Mostly because of the germanium trannys.
The Q on the mid range is set so that it gets gently wider as you go higher in the range. Makes it good for cutting crappy mids or boosting smooth highs because each frequency is tuned specifically. Ive always hated how you cant cut effectivly on 1073 type modules but the boost sounded awesome. This is an attenpt to find some middle ground and more flexiblilty with that type of circuit.

The TG12345 eq is a stereo unit that takes the original two band eq from the "Beatles" console and totally kicks its butt. We've turned it into a four band plus cut filter by copying the eq curves onto more frequency points as well as making the high and low bands switchable between bell/shelf. The concept for this was developed by myself, Abbey Road chief engineer Pete Cobbin, and Abbey Road Business development manager Tom Williams.
Abbey Road has been comparing it to their original MKII desk and are very happy with the results. Same sound with awesome flexibility. It should be noted that this unit is also germanium transistor based and uses the MKI germanium line amplifier from the earliest TG circuits.

Whew. I think that cover it. Man I type slow....
Cheers
Wade
:-)

Wade,

We traded a number email last fall about a Mastering EQ you were working on. Has it been turned into the 12345? Or is the Mastering EQ just on the back burner?

You Rock --

Old 19th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravity8058
Wade,

We traded a number email last fall about a Mastering EQ you were working on. Has it been turned into the 12345? Or is the Mastering EQ just on the back burner?

You Rock --

Its kind of looking that way... Its kind of designed to be an all pupose four band eq with hi and low filters at this point...
Old 19th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by wade goeke
Right now we are concentrating on these in no particular order...
GERMANIUM Tone Control (eq)
GERMANIUM Comp
TG12345 expanded "Beatle" eq
TG console

my poor credit card
Old 19th May 2006
Gear Maniac

Speaking of TG consoles - this used to be EMI Australia, they have 2 full mastering consoles, with extra EQ sections and spares. They look like soviet era nuclear power controls in the flesh - very solid.
http://www.donbartley.com/Australia/index.htm click on studios or
http://www.301.com.au/301sydney/301_...equipment.html
Old 20th May 2006
Gear Nut

Can I put my order in now? I was just starting to look around for a side car.
Old 11th February 2012
Gear Addict

Does anyone know whatever happened to this?
Old 2nd September 2012
Lives for gear

I expect it was the economy. Which as we can all tell is just like it was in 2007.
Old 24th November 2013
Lives for gear

Is this a dead dream?
Old 24th July 2014
Gear Head

Bump?
Old 23rd September 2018
Here for the gear

Bump...I still want a Chandler Beatle console!
Old 23rd September 2018
Old 30th January 2019
Gear Addict

Looking at Chandler mini mixers... did this TG console project ever happen?
Old 30th January 2019
I heard there's one coming.....along with other goodies.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search