The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Yaaaay!!! Just got my first Purple!....Now What???
Old 9th May 2006
Gear Addict

Yaaaay!!! Just got my first Purple!....Now What???

I'm a complete novice with compressors. I just received my Purple MC76 which I purchased mainly for vocal tracking since everyone says it's "the bomb" on vocals. Now what do I do? What are the classic settings for vocals? What are your personal favorites?

Also...the classic "all buttons in" setting...does this mean all 8 buttons in or just all 4 buttons on one of the sides of the meter? Where are the dials typically set for the "all buttons in" setting?

I know that the typical response to a question like this is "whatever sounds right to YOUR EARS". Obviously, I will spend much time experimenting with this thing and learning its benefits. However, I quickly want to get to testing it out at some "well proven" settings to make sure the unit is in proper working order since this is an EBay purchase and time is of the essence if there is a functional problem with the unit. Any suggestions on ways to test it's functional condition would also be much appreciated.

I'm excited!
Old 9th May 2006
Lives for gear

All four buttons in, means all of the ratio buttons in, which yields a much higher compression ratio.
Old 9th May 2006
Gear Nut

For rock vocals try: very slow attack, very fast release, experiment with the compression ratio buttons. All buttons in for some dirt. 3-6db of compression. I like to push 1176's pretty hard. I have not used the Purple, but if it is close the above is what I would do for rock vox, followed by an cleaner, slower (la2a) compressor to smooth things out.
Old 9th May 2006
Lives for gear

It is a VERY easy compressor to use, It is way better then any software compressor I have tried and It is pretty hard to overuse. fast release, slow attack, ratio 4 on most things for me..

I haven't loaded a single uad-1 1176 since I bought it.. It can handle way more compression and still stay focused..
Old 10th May 2006
Gear Addict

bump
Old 10th May 2006
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geddyleewannabe
Any suggestions on ways to test it's functional condition would also be much appreciated.
bump
Old 10th May 2006
Lives for gear

uuhhmmm, turn it on and see if it compresses? What info are you looking for, specifically?
Old 11th May 2006
Gear Addict

Quote:
Thank You!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search