The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
What does a Lexicon PCM 42 sound like?
Old 9th May 2006
Gear Maniac

I'm interested in picking one up as I love me some effects. I have no experience with this box and can't seem to find any examples of its effects on the net. I have messed with the PSP plug in version but that not the same. Does anyone have any tracks laying around, demos etc of the PCM 42 effects?

get at me
peace
Shah
Old 9th May 2006
Lives for gear

Tracks laying around?...It's probably the main delay on 80% of the records from the last 20 years or so. Most mixers I used to assist for would setup 4 of them an maybe another DMX/TC/Tape or such. They sound nice and warm and regenerate in a cool way with a nice control over the chorusing.
-brian
Old 9th May 2006
Gear Guru

f**king great is what they sound like. i love these things, unfortunatly don't own any. but they've been used on a LOT of records. but if your going to ge it, get two of them, they're mono.

highly recommended, probably my favorite delay.
Old 9th May 2006
Gear Maniac

I wish I could get two or four

Not so sound like a dolt, but to sound like a dolt.

Is there a track that comes to mind in which the PCM's delay is prominent that anyone adivises that i check out?
Old 10th May 2006
Lives for gear

As people have said, they sound RIGHT. They fit into tracks, they have great features and character.
What more can be said...

Also, prices seemed to have dipped recently, so a good time to buy. If budget is an issue, the PCM 41 is cool too.
Old 10th May 2006
Lives for gear

like buttah !!!!!
Old 10th May 2006
Lives for gear

They're used as pre-delay, or wherever you'd normally use tape delay. The thing everyone is jazzed about is the chorus, which adds a bit of life to an otherwise ok delay. They aren't Eventide though, and they're certainly not tape, but they're simple to operate, and familiar, which some engineers like.
Old 10th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlmorley
Also, prices seemed to have dipped recently, so a good time to buy. If budget is an issue, the PCM 41 is cool too.
not in the U.S., they are fetching at least $900 without any added memory.

one or two years ago they were $700

But pcm42's just work, they sit in are easy to configure and difficult to mess up. Warm clear (not overly noisy) and smooth...very smooth

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search