The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
GIK Acoustics Happiness!!!
Old 9th May 2006
Lives for gear

GIK Acoustics Happiness!!!

So let me start by saying that Glenn friggin rules! Nice guy, easy to deal with!

My control room was built a bit small, thinking the studio would always be a small demo/pre pro room....Well oddly enough for me, it has become much busier and more of a pure pro studio....Great for me, but that does not change the fact that room sounded off.

(Another side note...I stink at acoustics!!!)

So enter Glenn....I called Glenn to see if it would be possible to pop over to my studio (He is in Atlanta and I am in Athens) to shoot my room and make some suggestions. Well suffice it to say, he went out of his way for me and came over, did what I asked and I ordered his product, took his advice, hung them where and how I was told....and viola, now my room sounds freakin amazing!!!!!

I highly recommend him and his products. After I explained to him that I was a complete idiot to acoustics, he never went over my head explaining things and how it was to be done. He kept it simple for me and took care of me. The traps look great in the room and my clients immediately (yes even the clients) can tell the difference in the sound. Makes me want to go remix all my old stuff!!!

So all of you cats like me who have spent thousands upon ten thousands of dollars to build up your racks, believe the older wiser guys who tell you to spend some of your hard earned cash treating your room the right way, it was worth more than any piece of gear I have bought over the last 3 years....I wish I had listened sooner.

So my hats off to a good guy and company!!!
Thanks Glenn
thumbsup
Old 9th May 2006
Gear Maniac

Not to pry....but.....what was the approximate end cost? Feel free to round up or down as you like.
Thanks!
Old 9th May 2006
Lives for gear

I paid the website prices, plus a little extra for him taking his time with me and his advisement i so desparetly needed.

I ended buying 7- 2x4 panels and 2- 2x2's for clouds.

Best investment to date.....
Old 9th May 2006
I just moved into my new space yesterday - 18 GIK panels (12-4's, 6-2's) and a few custom jobs (including a 4" unit that covers the entire door, dead center behind me).

Freakin' smoooooth...

They spent so much time in the boxes though... I think I'll bring in a steamer to "smoooooth" the fabric on a few of them a little.
Old 9th May 2006
Gear Guru

Hey thanks guys for the feed back. I have the worst cold in years so not been able to smile so much. but now I am

Glenn
Old 10th May 2006
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigpen
So let me start by saying that Glenn friggin rules! Nice guy, easy to deal with!

My control room was built a bit small, thinking the studio would always be a small demo/pre pro room....Well oddly enough for me, it has become much busier and more of a pure pro studio....Great for me, but that does not change the fact that room sounded off.

(Another side note...I stink at acoustics!!!)

So enter Glenn....I called Glenn to see if it would be possible to pop over to my studio (He is in Atlanta and I am in Athens) to shoot my room and make some suggestions. Well suffice it to say, he went out of his way for me and came over, did what I asked and I ordered his product, took his advice, hung them where and how I was told....and viola, now my room sounds freakin amazing!!!!!

I highly recommend him and his products. After I explained to him that I was a complete idiot to acoustics, he never went over my head explaining things and how it was to be done. He kept it simple for me and took care of me. The traps look great in the room and my clients immediately (yes even the clients) can tell the difference in the sound. Makes me want to go remix all my old stuff!!!

So all of you cats like me who have spent thousands upon ten thousands of dollars to build up your racks, believe the older wiser guys who tell you to spend some of your hard earned cash treating your room the right way, it was worth more than any piece of gear I have bought over the last 3 years....I wish I had listened sooner.

So my hats off to a good guy and company!!!
Thanks Glenn
thumbsup
Good to hear these worked well for you, Daniel. I bought some a few months ago and am liking them a lot. . . .
Old 10th May 2006
Gear Guru

wilkinswp if you get a min please send some pictures to me.

Glenn
Old 10th May 2006
Gear Maniac

More props here too..

After a nice conversation with Glenn..(a fellow tele player by the way)...I bought 2 pairs of his monster bass traps and 244's..

Made an immediate positive impact in my very compromised room..

Great product and service..

I'll probably but a few more soon....

Larry
Old 10th May 2006
Lives for gear

I have 2 of the thickest bass traps at the front of my room, then 2 of the 3" deep ones, and then 6 of the 4" traps all dispersed in my control room. I liiiike.
Old 10th May 2006
Gear Guru

What was the name of that distortion petal for the tele? I lost the link.

Glenn
Old 10th May 2006
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by myfipie
What was the name of that distortion petal for the tele? I lost the link.

Glenn
Glenn,

The "Bad Bob" boost...not a distortion pedal...much better...!

See here:

http://www.rgwelectronics.com/badbob.html

If you're looking for a real good overdrive/distortion pedal I'd suggest this one:

http://www.musictoyz.com/guitar/pedals/barb.php

And here was that amp builder I told you about:

http://www.littledawgamps.com/amps.htm

He's building me a slightly customized Tweed Deluxe for an obscenely reasonable price.

Larry
Old 10th May 2006
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by lclyman
Glenn,

The "Bad Bob" boost...not a distortion pedal...much better...!

See here:

http://www.rgwelectronics.com/badbob.html

If you're looking for a real good overdrive/distortion pedal I'd suggest this one:

http://www.musictoyz.com/guitar/pedals/barb.php

And here was that amp builder I told you about:

http://www.littledawgamps.com/amps.htm

He's building me a slightly customized Tweed Deluxe for an obscenely reasonable price.

Larry
Thanks Larry for the link. Like I said my amp (Hot Rod Deville) has a great sound, but only 2 settings, "Off" and "Blow your Head OFF" . I am hoping the Bad Bob will tame her down a little.

Glenn
Old 10th May 2006
Lives for gear

Post a picture of the treated room... I'm curious! I did some room aid myself but it doesn't look kewl... I would like to redo it soon and maybe spend even more money on the room. My problem is low ceiling...
Old 10th May 2006
Lives for gear

Waiting to get pics done when I get my final piece to the current puzzle...still waiting on the elusive Shadow Hills Deluxe Summing Mixer. I will shoot pics then and will post.
My room is pretty small also, don't sweat it too much, they are worth the space they take up!
heh
Old 10th May 2006
Lives for gear

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search