The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Room Ionizers!!!
Old 9th May 2006

Room Ionizers!!!

Any got any good recommendations???? Ideally looking for 240v models!!
Old 9th May 2006
Led
Lives for gear

Ok, this is only something I vaguely remember, and I could be wrong, but thought I saw something about them not being too good for gear in the studio. I can't remember why. Maybe do a search. Can you just put an exhast in somewhere?
Old 9th May 2006
Led
Lives for gear

Here it is...make your own conclusion
https://www.gearslutz.com/board/showpost....7&postcount=13
Old 9th May 2006

Thanks for the tips, I'm looking for a model that is not ozone producing, I've seen a few, but was just wondering if anyones using them atm?
Old 9th May 2006
Lives for gear

Here's a good article on the difference and what you can expect them to do.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Air_ionizer
Old 10th May 2006
Lives for gear

i personally only use the hepa filtering and turn off the ionizing. as i understand it, and i've observed this, dirt particles get ionized and that's basically like adding glue to it so it sticks to wherever it lands and is much harder to get off.
Old 10th May 2006
Lives for gear
ionizers and rubber suspensions

Has anyone noticed that rubber products fall apart at high speed when you run an ionizer in a closed space with it? If you have expensive/custom (whatever) in your space, does this sound good?

Ozone isn't particularly good for people, either.

Filter, yes. Dust bad. I like rainbow vacuum cleaner ($5 at thrift stores). Earplugs while vacuuming.

Cheers.

Karl
Old 10th May 2006
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by rufus13
Has anyone noticed that rubber products fall apart at high speed when you run an ionizer in a closed space with it?
I have had this very experience.

Headphones with the earpads flaking/melting, certain plastics degenerating, etc... If any of these types of materials are used in your switches, pots, or faders... well, have fun! Crackle city! I once unplugged some cables from one of my machines only to find a bit of green flakiness all over the 1/4" plugs, like an old penny. Not cool. I can't prove anything, but, why else?

It also does make dust "sticky".

Paintbrush and a vaccum cleaner with a hose is the second best solution. An intern with a paintbrush and vaccum cleaner with hose attachment is the ultimate solution.
Old 10th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by rufus13
Ozone isn't particularly good for people, either.
That and it freakin' stinks. My boss runs an ionizer in the mix room and every time I walk in there I feel like I'm going to get a nosebleed and it smells like metal shards to me. Like walking into a tiny closet with a giant copier in it that's been running a big job all night.

Plus it masks that lovely mix room smell of the insides of speaker cabinets

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search