The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
adding delay to widen vox
Old 9th May 2006
Lives for gear

adding delay to widen vox

I have had some good results using a stereo double delay plugin to thicken vocals. It gets panned and blended. However, I am having a hard time finding delay settings that work well LOUD. I'd like to blend in the effect more.... but the sound gets chorusy-phasey. I'm using 17ms and 35ms settings panned left and right with the main down the middle. Any time settings that would avoid the phase problems? should i look at the song tempo for a solution?

thnx
Old 9th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by passenger
I'd like to blend in the effect more.... but the sound gets chorusy-phasey.
That's because what you're doing is creating phase cancellations. Which is why it sounds phasey/chorusy. Try using a longer delay combined with some reverb.
Old 9th May 2006
Gear Addict

There's a couple of 'width' settings that I used that I've stolen off the better engineers I used to assist.

Double delay, like you're using, but with L dly at 9ms and R at 12ms, with L pitched down 6 cents and R up 6 cents. Often done on an AMS delay, or an H3000 (modified program no.102-'Dual Shift').

There are a couple of other H3000 presets, but I'm not sat in front of one at the moment, but they're called something like 'BC Vox Dbler' and 'Voc Dbler' or something like that.

Inevitably, the louder you have the effect, the more 'robotic' it sounds. A little goes a long way, although there's something about the H3000 that lets you have more effect without it becoming offensive, in my opinion.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search