The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
A place in LA Effects Pedals, Units & Accessories
Old 12th September 2006
Lives for gear

On the topic of houses for sale, casual conversations with 2 high-end real-estate agents (different L.A. areas) reveal that in the last 2 months they can't sell s&^t. Also, the "for sale" signs I noticed on routine drives 2 months ago are still up. It's over, but the statistics won't reflect that for a little while. The only question is: soft landing or bubble burst?
Old 19th September 2006
Lives for gear

a quick update, for anybody that cared..

i made it out to LA 2 Thursdays ago. made 45 hours of driving in 4 days. got to the new place, but not everything was peachy..

prior to making the cross-country, had some car and apartment problems. thankfully all resolved, with help from some friends. pushed back the scheduled departure date.

the drive was spectacular. one of the best experiences in my life. packed all my stuff/equipment in my car, drove by myself. didn't think it can be so relaxing. real amazing how the surroundings evolves from coast to coast.

i would high recommend the drive under 3 conditions:

-drive West (sunset beats sunrise for driving)
-cruise control (c'mon... 45 hours?)
-loaded with music (or stand-up comedies in my case.. George Carlin makes the time go by faster)

after arriving, encountered a few minor probs.. made the move a bit rough, but now it's all good. pretty much all settled, got my system/rack up and running again (being organized sure helps).

never thought moving can be THIS expensive; so been talking and networking a lot lately to acquire new gigs. some on the way, some hopefuls, some head-scratchers.

absolutely love the weather tho. still getting used to the traffic, lol. good time to catch up on some recent tunes on the radio.

just about all posts here are right on the money, and been extremely helpful. thanks again everybody. thumbsup
Old 19th September 2006
Lives for gear

We should hook-up!!!

It looks like RoundeBadge and I have to welcome you to the hood. (He lives up the street)
Old 19th September 2006
Lives for gear

More actual experience from someone who move from Portland...

Great advice from above... I'll try to make a simple list of realities and epiphonies:

-The horror stories about traffic and the 405 are REAL!

- Decide which side of L.A. and you virtually stay there (I picked Santa Monica.)

- Santa Monica is crazy expensive, but someone said it is hot for gorwing music community, true...and you can't beat thinking Jim Morrison strutted these streets and Venice

- $1,000,000.00 for a crap house you might teardown in Santa Monica. No, really.

- If you aren' going to buy. Rent a solid good vibe place to live.

-Rent a seperate good place to work... I've got a great mix /recording room for $850 four blocks from the house...or am moving in (sill pretty new here)

(Visitors welcome!)

Lastly, some of us SHOULD seriously consider opening a mutaul commerical studio space like the Elias building...seperate rooms and deals but economies of scale...and maybe some shared benefits.

Anyone open, pleas contact me. I can give you a very serious studio worth partnering with...

So, some words of semi-wisdom from someone who just mae the same move to be considered.

-Andrews

DIRTY HALO www.dirtyhalo.com
Old 19th September 2006
Lives for gear

Ah dammit!!! It looks like we have to throw a party for both you guys.

Welcome to L.A.
Old 21st September 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by picksail View Post
Ah dammit!!! It looks like we have to throw a party for both you guys.

Welcome to L.A.
Picksail, you are the most kind.

we should do a L.A. Gearslut get-together, i'd love to meet you guys all in person. a fellow slut told me the mic-pre shootout at James Lugo's place earlier this year was a blast.

anybody good at organizing events?
Old 21st September 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by theblotted View Post

we should do a L.A. Gearslut get-together, i'd love to meet you guys all in person. a fellow slut told me the mic-pre shootout at James Lugo's place earlier this year was a blast.

Haha!!!

James and I pulled that thing together before I actually moved here. He invited me to stay at his place for a couple weeks in an attempt to 'get things in place' before relocating. It was a total whim. I kind of started like this, "Hey, we should have a Gearlsutz party..."

We'll have to wait on organizing another crazy event for a bit. I think we're all pretty absorbed with our agendas right now.

Nonetheless, we can still hook-up.

Just call me. If I don't answer, then please, leave a message.
Old 16th July 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by theblotted View Post

so, how much you diggin the city of angels?
Old 16th July 2008
Lives for gear

wow, it's like a time capsule..

all the "stories" listed above are really, really true.

can't picture myself anywhere else. very happy here. land of opportunities. a good story-builder city. met a lot of ppl (both good & bad).

what i would say, is that everybody here puts on their friendly face. but in reality there's an undertow of hustlism that's unrivaled anywhere else. i'm not a super-old guy, but i've lived around the world.

it's real apparent when you start to think about what LA'ers done and/or acquired. not the BS from their lips, you just observe from their surroundings. i take it as a cue for inspiration to push myself even harder. at least helps me to be productive.

... but most importantly, good deals on gear is ridiculous here! a GS mecca!! heh
Old 16th July 2008
Lives for gear

i just asked because it is within the realm of possibilities that we might relocate to the socal area, but i'm pretty wary of la based on what i've heard from many. i guy a work with from time to time says "everyone gives you the sunny how do-you-do face but are immediately trying to sell you something or evaluating you to see if you're an asset to them." most of the work he does there though is in laguna beach and he says it's beautiful.

i'd also think with the saturation of audio cats down there, it would be harder to carve out a piece of business but i guess i'm wrong. obviously the networking opportunities are second to none. glad to hear it's working out for you.
Old 16th July 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audio Hombre View Post
i just asked because it is within the realm of possibilities that we might relocate to the socal area, but i'm pretty wary of la based on what i've heard from many. i guy a work with from time to time says "everyone gives you the sunny how do-you-do face but are immediately trying to sell you something or evaluating you to see if you're an asset to them." most of the work he does there though is in laguna beach and he says it's beautiful.

i'd also think with the saturation of audio cats down there, it would be harder to carve out a piece of business but i guess i'm wrong. obviously the networking opportunities are second to none. glad to hear it's working out for you.
yeah, you really can't beat the weather here. i haven't had to think about salt from the snow messing up my car... until now.

about the "two face thing, it never bothered me. it's kind of understood that ppl are here to the biz, and it's almost relieving that we don't have to go thru the BS talk.. just wham bam thank you ma'am, get in and get out.

in a sick twisted way, i almost prefer the fake smiles because if you learn to ignore the negative, it doesn't bog down the rest of your week. OTOH, a new yorker may say "fvck you and have a nice day", which adds onto the stress for me.. plus it makes me hate ppl even more, and not to mention the rainy/slush days.

if you make it down, get in touch me and/or with GS'ers here. very cool and the shootout parties are fun.
Old 17th July 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Methlab View Post
I have also heard that the lofts are the next solid investement in LA. Downtown will be much better down there in 5 years it sounds like.
Well best get in now cause a 600 sq/ft loft in an ok part of downtown is gonna run ya probably 1600/month. I have 3 friends that own lofts downtown and they werent cheap. 2 out of the 3 were 775k+

Its an idea from maybe 10 to 12 years ago that downtown is cheap.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search