The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
A place in LA Effects Pedals, Units & Accessories
Old 19th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by superburtm
I hate Culver City but maybe that's because me and my girl got mugged and had a gun pointed in our face coming out of a store. Luckily a cop car drove down the street at that very moment and the dirtbag ran for it. Scary **** though.
(Sorry about your misfortune) To keep this on-topic, crime is 30% less in Culver City than surrounding neighborhoods of L. A., less than Santa Monica, less than anywhere in 323, less than Westland...

If you look at a map of Culver City, it looks like a Tetris game. Most people don't know whether they are in Culver City or L. A. This goes to confirm the earlier admonishments that L. A. changes character in three-block increments.
Old 19th May 2006
Lives for gear

I use to live in South Pasadena for 11 years in an apartment. Now I am in Sherman Oaks in my house. Both Areas are great! But rent for an apartment these days is like $1000-$1500 for a 1 bedroom in these areas. I loved living in South Pasadena and the Pasadena Area, but I also love the Sherman Oaks/Studio City area for other reasons. Hollywood and Burbank are just north and south and pretty easy to get to. Luckily for me I walk about 30 feet to my home studio to work and my wife works at Universal just 3 miles away so commuting doesn't kill us.

I have a friend living in Pasadena and he works in Santa Monica. 2 hour drive each way in rush hour.....Yuk! Best of luck to you!!

I suggest you find your budget, then get to the best neighborhood possible on that budget.

Rob
Old 25th June 2006
Lives for gear

funny thing about Hollywood.you can stand on a corner for five minutes and see at least 2 cops roll by .you ever look at the streets in hollywood .Id get rid of Vigerosa.
before that place turns into mexico.streets in mexico almost look sweet in compaison.
head on up to the hollywood hills. expensive ass homes ,no wonder why people in LA have suvs.**** the cops we need better roads , **** the tax man .I hate bull**** parking tickits.next they will be taxing the air we breath.I ll just raise the volvo.

dont get me wrong I love Hollywood
to patronize and anoy
Old 17th July 2006
Lives for gear

so i've been out here in LA for a week, visiting & job/house hunting. been staying at Park La Brea, exact neighborhood Max mentioned earlier.

after a few days of studying around the areas, i came back to this thread again. insightful to acknowledge what i saw in person.

for housing, we've boiled down to anywhere from West LA to Miracle Mile. would also consider as far as Santa Monica/Venice.

my roommate has a steady gig at ICM agency (which is gonna move the building to Century City by end of year). me OTOH have a few jobs lined up (thank god still in music), but i won't make that decision until after i move b/c deals still in the works.

so, we've decided to look for a temporary/1-year abode, closer to his commute.

it'd be great if anybody know of ppl/place that can hook us up.

===============

need:
-starting Sept.
-up to $1800
-2 bdrm, 2 parking
-house/duplex/townhouse (no apt)

prefer:
-up to $1300
-hardwood flr, high ceilings
-dishwasher/laundry/amenities
-no Culver City (boring), no Valley (too north), no W.Hlywd (too ***.. no offense)
-naked models
-low utility $
-quiet neighborhood, but still close to stores

==============

will also post on Craigslist. been checking Westsidrentals too.

thx. can't wait to move out here.
Old 17th July 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by theblotted
need:
-starting Sept.
-up to $1800
-2 bdrm, 2 parking
-house/duplex/townhouse (no apt)

prefer:
-up to $1300
-hardwood flr, high ceilings
-dishwasher/laundry/amenities
-no Culver City (boring), no Valley (too north), no W.Hlywd (too ***.. no offense)
-naked models
-low utility $
-quiet neighborhood, but still close to stores

Been in L.A. a little over 10 years. If anyone can fill theblotted's preference list, I'd be just as interested in moving to wherever that may be in L.A.

No offense, theblotted. I'm sure you'll find something you'll be happy with eventually.
Old 17th July 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by severe
Been in L.A. a little over 10 years. If anyone can fill theblotted's preference list, I'd be just as interested in moving to wherever that may be in L.A.

No offense, theblotted. I'm sure you'll find something you'll be happy with eventually.
nah. we actually found a few places that matched well; but they wanted to start in July or August. we're all ears.
Old 18th July 2006
Lives for Jesus

Quote:
Originally Posted by superburtm
I hate Culver City but maybe that's because me and my girl got mugged and had a gun pointed in our face coming out of a store. Luckily a cop car drove down the street at that very moment and the dirtbag ran for it. Scary **** though.
Old 19th July 2006
Gear Maniac

Quote:
nah. we actually found a few places that matched well; but they wanted to start in July or August. we're all ears.
out of curiousity, where did you end up?
Old 19th July 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Lee
out of curiousity, where did you end up?
If it's the Miracle Mile area, then he's near me. That's where I am.

Although, I can't imagine him finding anything for $1,300 per month. Who knows....
Old 19th July 2006
Lives for gear

actually, still lookin'.

saw a house in Mid-Wilshire/Mariposa Ave for $1150.. a bit east of MM, but the deals are out there. didn't jump on this tho.
Old 19th July 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by zkaudio
i'm renting out a room in redondo beach for 1k... basically u get half the house. 2 bd + quasi mix room, working on treatment as we speak..

ocean and city views, etc... hate finding roommates lol, my buddy just got xferred to baltimore :(
That's a pretty good deal.

Current rents can be fairly brutal, these days, even in places (like Long Beach) where they've traditionally been lower.
Old 21st July 2006
Gear Maniac

Quote:
--- no W.Hlywd (too ***.. no offense)
More "non-offensive" comments out of your mouth in this town should land you happily back in Chicago where thoughts like that belong.
Old 21st July 2006
Lives for gear

Hey guys, just out of curiosity...
I have a friend (*) who has a condo right by the beach in Redondo Beach and I'm considering hitting LA this fall for work hunting.

Would this area be a good place to start?
Or is the commuting too much to deal with?
How is life in and around that community?
Pro's & cons?

Any comments is greatly appreciated!
Thanks,

* She's actually coming here mid-august so we'll talk about this project, but I just wanted to get my fellow GS point-of-view...
Old 21st July 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTR
More "non-offensive" comments out of your mouth in this town should land you happily back in Chicago where thoughts like that belong.

relax.

first off, i'm not from Chicago. secondly, i don't really care where i live, as long as it's cheap & good 'hood; it was actually my roommate's request. hence the "no offense", and i really meant it. (ironically, roomy grew up not too far from Chi-town).

honestly, i don't have a problem with ***s. and i'm the one who put the asterisks there, not GS police. so there. i apologize if i offended you GTR (or anyone else), it wasn't intended that way.

back to the thread, please.
Old 21st July 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by lozion
Hey guys, just out of curiosity...
I have a friend (*) who has a condo right by the beach in Redondo Beach and I'm considering hitting LA this fall for work hunting.

Would this area be a good place to start?
Or is the commuting too much to deal with?
How is life in and around that community?
Pro's & cons?

Any comments is greatly appreciated!
Thanks,
How's Redondo Beach? It's nice, no problems that I've ever heard of. The commute into the city could be brutal at times. If you can manage to avoid the 405 during rush hour, do so.

It's about 20 minutes under good conditions. Which is sort of an inside joke. Everything in LA is about a 20 minute drive.
Old 21st July 2006
Gear Maniac

Quote:
relax.

first off, i'm not from Chicago. secondly, i don't really care where i live, as long as it's cheap & good 'hood; it was actually my roommate's request. hence the "no offense", and i really meant it. (ironically, roomy grew up not too far from Chi-town).

honestly, i don't have a problem with ***s. and i'm the one who put the asterisks there, not GS police. so there. i apologize if i offended you GTR (or anyone else), it wasn't intended that way.

back to the thread, please.
No probs, thought I would point out that LA is an accepting city in many ways and that it should be embraced verbally.

If you want an inexpensive house convenient to your work-- then I would try City of LA,-- 90019, it is around San Vicente just below Mid Wilshire. It is convient to everywhere, and the rent prices are not as high. You can go further south, into 90016, but at that point each few blocks are different, and you need to check out all of the neighborhoods around the area. Some are a bit shabby looking, and come a well kept and nice. I would stay north of the 10.

Good luck.
Old 21st July 2006
Lives for gear

blotman,

Im about 45 miles east of LA. San Bernardino, Upland,Ontario, Corona Riverside area. I bought my digs 7 years ago, for 113. Small 3br 3 bath, roof covered thing, in a semi nice area, well kept . Many original owners, houses built in 50's-60's. (Mine 51)

Anyway, my hut would get close to 450 right now. The market here is just off the hook!!! Unless you really desire to be close to the kin, which is real important, the "LA scene" thing should be crossed of your list, as its murder to drive here. Nice gas prices also, add horrid insult to injury in that case.

If being close to LA will really help you financially, and I mean.. A LOT... I would reconsider....otherwise this place ROCKS!!!heh
Old 22nd July 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTR
No probs....

Good luck.
thanks for understanding, as well as the great insights.

and Acoustic Cloud, thank you too; altho we're trying to stay West as much as we can
(primarily due to work location).

i do have a brother living in Claremont/Upland, and visited him a few times last week. the drive alone made me shell out 1.5 hours and close to $30 worth of gas each way. it's good that i can actually breathe out there; but at this moment, not really an option.

i envy you for bankin' on the property.

i did find the 405 and 10 parking lot (thru the hard way) on my trip also. at least there's no tolls...
Old 22nd July 2006
Gear Addict

Too bad you need to be a little closer to the west side. My direct closest neighbor just moved out and the place is a pretty cool rental. From where I am I can get to most recording studios and rental houses in Hollywood, North Hollywood and surroundings in aprox. 15 minutes and the TV studios and WB in 5. Drive a lil further and you can get most places, except the west side and near LAX. I can't wait until the subway can get you from NoHo to Santa Monica in 20 min.

It also would be cool for a GS to be that close, then I wouldn't have to drive across town to borrow gear from Ecue as often, and with the noise factor we could help each other. In true LA fashion, just looking out for myself and pretending like it's also helping you,(which in this case it is.) Let me know if your needs for local change in the near future. Welcome to LA.
Old 22nd July 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by EngineEars
I can't wait until the subway can get you from NoHo to Santa Monica in 20 min.

is that in the works?

EngineEars, please check your PM.
Old 23rd July 2006
Here for the gear
LA FREEEEE-WAY

[QUOTE=superburtm]
Quote:
i'm sure you guys are well aware of the fact that in this biz, time is precious and there's nothing like rolling outta bed at 4am to be able to continue work; rather than making another commute (and spend more on gas or get in superburtm's way!).

QUOTE]
heh
_______
Yeah the key to happiness in Los Angeles IMO is to make alot of money AND live very very close to where you work.
_________
I LOVVVEE LA!! TO visit now. Used to live right there off La Cienga & Sunset (just down hill in APTS)...Loved the energy. But Boston warning, as a good friend of mine told me, watch out for that LA vibe, it has a way of HOLLOWING YOU OUT after a while if you don't watch yourself.

Now I live in CHEESELAND, WI, HA! (Oh Ya, hey der) and just go back and forth! There is no creative vibe around here unless you like creating cheese. But, Hence the property renting, ect, I write this over looking a pond with abundant wildlife, and conservacy on the deck of a 5 bedroom house we just built, in which I doubled walled, ceiling and built a recording studio and a 10 step downward commute. I'd prefer to GO BACK and forth for the cost would be a few million out there. Here it's affordable. For what our mortgage is a month, we couldn't get a decent 2 bedroom out there. It's all trade-offs. Still love the 405...Ya get some good RADIO time in... But as someone said in the above post, it depends on where you are in your life, if you are young and don't care about roughing it a bit, LA is great! I still love it there. But it's a small world now. Heck the I write with writers from LA & Chicago and the main guy mixing my tunes now live in PARIS, FRANCE. So you can live anywhere depending on your focus. Why am I babbling, I don't know, SORRY! Must be the one Labatts Light I just had. I can't handle more than one beer anymore...GOOD LUCK!!

http://www.michaelbrandmeier.com
Old 23rd July 2006
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by severe
How's Redondo Beach? It's nice, no problems that I've ever heard of. The commute into the city could be brutal at times. If you can manage to avoid the 405 during rush hour, do so.

It's about 20 minutes under good conditions. Which is sort of an inside joke. Everything in LA is about a 20 minute drive.
There is north redondo, and there is south redondo.

south redondo is $$$$$ and north redondo is a bit sketchy IMO.

I live right where PV and redondo meet, in the "hollywood riviera" it's very nice, I don't have to lock my car etc... very quiet though, if you are going to do the home studio thing, get ready for lots of money in isolation treatment...

o yeah, and don't plan on workin in "LA" .. just to get to the freeway from here takes about 20-30 minutes.
Old 23rd July 2006
Lives for gear

You know, its amazing. I knew why everybody was moving here in the 80's.

But, why and HOW are people still filtering in here from, well, other areas, when the stupid houses and rents are 15 times what they should be?!?!?

Our sax teacher at work moved back to Philly early last year. The equity he had in a house he owned for 2 1/2 years bought him a lot, new small type custom house, and a separate building for the studio.....all custom built ...with cash left over!!

The area I am in, is my home. Too much family and longtime friends to leave. But With the current prices , I dont get how people still want to move here?

Oh well, que sera sera....
Old 23rd July 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
is that in the works?

EngineEars, please check your PM.
I'm pretty sure it's almost done. The seats are lined with velvet, the rails paved with gold and nary a bum in site.

Now...back to my escape plan
Old 2nd September 2006
Lives for gear

I'm in LA with the gf looking for a place to live this coming week... Wish me luck!

Initially, I'd hoped to find someplace that could accomodate a mix/production/vocal-tracking room, but that might not be in the cards. If anybody has a small room in a facility they want to let, drop me a line. I've got a backlog of mix work I'll be bringing with me...

Also, if anybody's got an inside line on a good place to live they want to let me in on... We were looking towards Silver Lake/Echo Park, but are extremely flexible...
Old 4th September 2006
Lives for gear

just a quick update, my roommate managed to find a place near Pico/Fairfax. not great, not bad either.

i'm currently making the cross-country drive, with all my gear! i thought the drive was gonna suck, but it's actually not too shabby
Old 4th September 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by theblotted View Post
just a quick update, my roommate managed to find a place near Pico/Fairfax. not great, not bad either.

i'm currently making the cross-country drive, with all my gear! i thought the drive was gonna suck, but it's actually not too shabby
Welcome to the neighborhood!!!!

Don't expect me to come by with a casserole. Hehehehe!!!

So where'd you end up?
Old 4th September 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by picksail View Post
Welcome to the neighborhood!!!!

Don't expect me to come by with a casserole. Hehehehe!!!

So where'd you end up?
Thanks for the welcome. no casserole? sheeeet, how about be a true slut and bring some Distressors instead? lol heh

the place is on S Orange. with all the money poured into WestSideRentals (2 terms), we ended up finding on Craig's List.

i haven't got a good look at the place yet, but according to my roommate, it's pimp. he's quite picky when it comes to stuff like this, so i believe him.

can't wait to see it this weekend.
Old 4th September 2006
Lives for gear

With all of the advice on this thread it's too bad nobody advised you against Westside Rentals. I hate those people. Anyway, welcome to LA
Old 5th September 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by initialsBB View Post
With all of the advice on this thread it's too bad nobody advised you against Westside Rentals. I hate those people. Anyway, welcome to LA
thanks thumbsup

(haha, i guess i learned that the hard way. no big deal, at least someone could come across this thread and get something out of it.)

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search