The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
A place in LA
Old 10th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by picksail
Just being realistic. Have you checked the real-estate market lately. Ridiculous!!!

Yeh I bought a year ago..it ain't gonna go down though...it may slow..

supply and demand.

ANd if an earthquake hits that is big enough to destroy the market I don't think you'd wanna buy and live in the destroyed town..anyhow I love shooting the **** about property

here's to positive vibes in earthquake country!

Last edited by superburtm; 10th May 2006 at 12:50 AM..
Old 10th May 2006
Here for the gear

Waiting for an earthquake, huh? There could be one tomorrow and there could be one in a hundred years. I wouldn't hold my breath. It is probably always best, if at all possible, to just take the plunge now and hope for the best. As superburtm said... 'supply and demand'. And we all know that ain't gonna change any time soon. I am also wondering... how is the best way to look for a lockout?
Old 10th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by superburtm
Yeh I bought a year ago..it ain't gonna go down though...it may slow..

supply and demand.

ANd if an earthquake hits that is big enough to destroy the market I don't think you'd wanna buy and live in the destroyed town..anyhow I love shooting the **** about property

here's to positive vibes in earthquake country!
Don't be so quick to dismiss his theory...you could end up with beach front property
Old 10th May 2006
Lives for gear
yeah, i meant + roomies when i said 800/month..heh. I know some people out there who lived for 550 and some who lived for 1200. I know it was 1200 for a place above the viper room at one point..real estate is madness....but here is a kicker...the real estate where I am in Orlando, FL is almost as bad!!! it is a joke out here, and Orlando is nice, but not even near as nice as LA. If I wanted to get a new place here on my own, minimum would be around 700 to live in a decent locale. factor in cost of living in LA, and Orlando is sadly getting too expensive for itself.

last time i was in LA, I slept through an earthquake...I prefer that to the hurricanes that rock this place every summer.

Last edited by Methlab; 10th May 2006 at 02:28 AM..
Old 10th May 2006
Quote:
$800 per month?

Maybe in a 600 sq ft dump near LAX.
In NYC, for 600 sq ft, $800/month might cover the monthly maintenence charges, but that's not counting the mortgage which will be $500k less your down payment.
Old 10th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Caffrey
In NYC, for 600 sq ft, $800/month might cover the monthly maintenence charges, but that's not counting the mortgage which will be $500k less your down payment.
Guess that's why the threads not called 'A place in NYC'.
Old 10th May 2006
Lives for gear

hmm, some interesting stuff coming to light here..

i guess i'll have to do a bit of sight-seeing before i really make a decision. you guys are definitely giving me lots to think about, and i do appreciate the inputs.

earthquakes are a pain when they are major, tho i've lived thru some serious 'quakes in the past (like the one in Taiwan @ 1999)..

hey Doc, thanks for the offer; ultimately i'd like to find something a bit closer to the West/city as that's where most of the jobs/action would be.. or so i hear anyway! and with LA slutz confirming about living close to job... tho i wouldn't mind paying a visit when i make a trip out there in the summer, if that's okay with you. always a man keeping his options open
Old 10th May 2006
Lives for gear

One thing you can find here that's unusual is houses with studios already built in. Ask a real estate agent, or a local studio gear dealer like AID http://aidinc.com/ or Westlake www.westlakeaudio.com/.
Old 10th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judson
Waiting for an earthquake, huh? There could be one tomorrow and there could be one in a hundred years. I wouldn't hold my breath. It is probably always best, if at all possible, to just take the plunge now and hope for the best. As superburtm said... 'supply and demand'. And we all know that ain't gonna change any time soon. I am also wondering... how is the best way to look for a lockout?

Pickup a music connection to look for a lockout..or we may have one at our place..if your interested PM me
Old 10th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berolzheimer
One thing you can find here that's unusual is houses with studios already built in. Ask a real estate agent, or a local studio gear dealer like AID http://aidinc.com/ or Westlake www.westlakeaudio.com/.

i had no idea that there are pre-built studios, esp by westlake.. considering that i have a good buddy who works there. i'll look into that, thanks Berolzheimer!
Old 10th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
It all depends upon where you want to live and your personal standard of living.
so... would anybody be willing to provide a quick cheatsheet of what are best/good/bad areas in LA, gearslut wise?

e.g., Valley has etc etc etc, Venice has etc etc etc....

or, this has great environment; close to essential music stores; lots of client potentials; stay away from this neighborhood; you'll get shot on this street, lol; etc...

thanks
Old 10th May 2006
Lives for gear
yes..that would be great. i have been in LA enough, but have yet to live there, and I need to figure out some more cool areas that are west (where i would be working).
Old 10th May 2006
Gear Addict

Made the move from Boston 2.5 years ago. I wouldn't advise living too far from Hollywood for the first couple of years. You need to get your network and social life together first and if it's an hour drive to do that, you'll be bummed. Does your girlfriend already have friends out here? If not, you'd better make sure she loves the neighborhood and feels like she can get to stuff easily, or you'll have an ex-girlfriend back in Boston within a year. I'm in Studio City and really feel like I'm pretty close to everything. Surrounding areas like Sherman Oaks, NoHo, etc. are good too. Eagle Rock has a lot of musicians living there although it's come up in price quite a bit in the last couple years. Hope that helps.
Old 10th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
And thought that I was fortunate to find a place for $2,000 per month with water paid.
I rented a house in West Hollywood from '98 until '03 and the rent was $2400/month for the last couple of years. It had three bedrooms and was a nice old Spanish style bungalow, but still a tear-down, considering the property value.

I don't know what you can get for $800/month, but my girlfriend's place was on Highland near Whitley Heights, almost across from the Hollywood Bowl, and it was a really nice courtyard deal, hardwood floors, original fixtures, etc. It was around $875 a couple of years ago and was a studio with a separate kitchen and a good sized bathroom. I would consider anything less than $1K/month a good deal.

I'd avoid any and all roommate situations unless they're people you know really well. If you're posting on this website, you've probably got a good amount of gear, and for anyone so inclined, gear = quick money. There are plenty of horror stories.

For a while I had a nice loft at Spring and 7th, which is where some good lofts are. There are other lofts near Traction Ave. but they've always been those prefab deals with crappy fixtures, and there's a lot more tenant turnover because you get a lot of "just out of art school-wouldn't it be cool to live in a loft?" people. I definitely didn't like that area as much. My loft was close to 1500 square feet and cost me (get this) $500 in the mid-nineties. It was totally DIY (bring your own fixtures) but still saved me a fortune. I had secure underground parking, etc. I had people lining up to get that place from me when I moved.

I think the main thing is to locate yourself centrally. There's not much point in moving all the way to SoCal and missing the action by an hour commute.

I love/hate L.A. but I love it more than I hate it. I'm dying to get back there, but I promised the girl I'd stick with her thru grad school. I'm a sucker, but she's worth it.
Old 10th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by theblotted

or, this has great environment; close to essential music stores; lots of client potentials; stay away from this neighborhood; you'll get shot on this street, lol; etc...

thanks
as in many high-density cities, the neighborhood can change drastically in a couple of blocks.

For example; if you're on Sixth Street near Rossmore (which is the South end of Vine St.) you're in a really good neighborhood; big expensive houses. Not sketchy in the least. but if you go just a couple of blocks East, by the time you get to Wilton Place and Sixth, you're in some of the worst neighborhood around.

Western Ave. and Franklin Ave. is also an area where stuff changes really quickly. If you go North towards Los Feliz, the neighborhood gets nice quickly, but if you go South on Western, you'd better be packing heat, and I'm really not kidding. Western Ave. and Hollywood Blvd. (where the old Hollywood Billiards and legendary rehearsal space used to be) is the border of Crips and White Fence. The Crips used to deal out of the stair corridor in the rehearsal bldg. The White Fence are the real problem. When I first got my rehearsal space there, a couple of White Fence hoods had set a kid on fire and tossed him off the roof. The two gangs have a lot of friction between them. Basically, the Crips are the good guys and the WF are the bad guys.

The neighborhood bordered by Wilshire Blvd, La Brea, Third St. and Farmer's Market (now the Grove shopping center) was where a lot of people from out of town first landed in Hollywood. Lately that 'hood has slid a bit. People getting attacked, etc. La Brea is a conduit from bad neighborhoods, and it brings a lot of bad elements into Hollywood on weekends.

I think a better place to start is the neighborhood bordered by Beverly Blvd, Fairfax Ave, Melrose Ave, and La Brea. The East end of that is mostly houses; Jewish families, so it's clean and crime is pretty damn low, but the West end of that area has a lot of nicer old apartments. Lots of production people live in that area. That puts you close to a lot of stuff.

I'd say to avoid the apartments between Sunset Blvd, Santa Monica Blvd, Fairfax Ave and La Brea Ave. You can find some decent stuff in there, but you're getting into Pawnshop land. Not as good IMHO.

If you're careful, you can look South of Wilshire, but you gotta keep your eyes open. I've seen some really nice places there, though. Check from Fairfax to La Brea. It's starting to feel the upswing and rents are already going up.

If I dissed anyone's 'hood in there, sorry. These are gross generalizations.
Old 10th May 2006
Lives for gear

Look on craigslist in LA. You can get a great feel for apt prices, lofts, and even studios sometimes if you look in the commercial real estate section. Post some ads too telling what you're looking for, that's how I found my space.
Cheers.
-Brian
Old 10th May 2006
Lives for gear
max..awesome info..thanks for writing all that! are there any good sites you would reccomend that really map out LA for folks? I am using mapquest, but Id love to get more deep into it. My goal is to get as west as I can (who's isn't?).

I am going by memory of LA and mapquest, but it has been a few years. I remember we got 1 room at the roosevelt and parked the bus next to hollywood high. walking to the gym on sunset got a little hairy at points..so i would like to get more west of that area...ayone work at launch.com in santa monica? good engineers there..nicer area!
Old 10th May 2006
Lives for gear

To those who are making there way out west, I can offer one pearl of wisdom that you will thank me for for the rest of your life.

Plan your life in L.A. around avoiding the 405 freeway.

This freeway has reached beyond capacity and is a true nightmare (odds of a decent public transit system ever being implemented out here are about as probable as the earlier reference to Downtown being 'cleaned up'). If your daily routine involves parking on this baby and inching your way to and from work you are going to snap ala 'Falling Down' (or in the very least be really, really bummed).

Shell out the extra dough to live closer to where you work. This will make a huge difference in your quality of life out here (along with designer drugs, Paris Hilton sightings, implants and botox but you'll get familiar with those in time).

Last edited by Jazzpunk; 10th May 2006 at 06:39 PM..
Old 10th May 2006
Lives for gear

I don't know if it's doable in your budget, but I would first strongly try to live west of the 405. There is increasing action for the arts in Santa Monica and Venice, and it's just one of the nicest places in the world to live. (The only neighborhoods I would avoid would be in Santa Monica around 20th and Pico, and the Oakwood area of Venice--the latter is bordered by Lincoln on the east, California on the south, Rose on the north and Abbot Kinney on the west--outside of this, Venice absolutely rocks)

I also think the whole Music-Connection/Hollywood/musician/networking thing is way overrated. You want to transcend that milieu as soon as possible. If you have to go to Hollywood for some reason, let the reason be important enough that you don't mind driving there. Otherwise, stay west of the 405 and nurture your own scene.

If you're living with your girlfriend, which is financially a good idea, it will be a lot easier if you can get out and bicycle on the beach from time to time and not feel locked into some little urban flat.

I've often wondered why downtown L.A. is 15 mles inland. It's as if the first explorers were looking for the ocean but just gave up too soon and said Let's dig in here.

-R

Last edited by RKrizman; 10th May 2006 at 07:45 PM..
Old 10th May 2006
Lives for gear

I would first determine where you expect to be working and plan you housing accordingly.

I labored over this intensely.

We chose the Miracle Mile/Little Ethiopia area. Albeit, this is temporary as we have intentions of buying in the very near future. It was better for us to rent or a year and become acclimated with all of the various communities, etc. Ideally, we'd like to live in the 'Hills'. We've already started the search for property.

We avoid the 405 like the plague. Plenty of shortcuts that are much more efficient.

From my house I can get to LAX in fifteen minutes. Santa Monica and Malibu are of equal distance/time. I can get to my studio on Hollywood Blvd in twenty minutes during high traffic times, which when travelling on either LaBrea or Fairfax is pretty much all the time.
Old 10th May 2006
Lives for gear

Stewart has a good point, that it may be wise to familiarize yourself with all the neighborhoods, especially if you're unsure about what you want to do. My preference for the westside is a personal one, although it has worked out quite nicely.

But I wouldn't base your decision on just utilitarian factors. Moving is a cultural decision as well, and you and your girlfriend, as artists and creative people, will want to find an environment that supports that in the more intangible ways.

-R
Old 10th May 2006
Here for the gear

Actually, downtown has made incredible progress, and I have faith that it will be revitalized. It is FAR from it, but within 5-10 years, I could see downtown Los Angeles gentrified and booming, similar to what happened to Manhattan and downtown San Diego in the 90's.

Current efforts have made small dents, but the Grand Ave project, and the LA Live project (the 2 billion dollar effort that will host the Grammy's, finally create a hotel large enough to hold people for the convention centers, and house the west coast operation of ESPN) will definitely help boost the area. Once they can manage Skid Row, the area will become another exclusive LA neighboordhood. Frank Gehry is also designing phase I of the Grand Ave project http://www.nytimes.com/2006/04/25/ar...rssnyt&emc=rss

Everytime I drive downtown, I see new condos, new lofts, being constructed. It's looking more promising everyday. I have faith this time, but maybe I'm crazy.

Last edited by GlassPrisoner79; 10th May 2006 at 08:07 PM..
Old 10th May 2006
Lives for gear

I currently live in a fourplex. My landlord is the legendary actor Robert Forster. The unit is occupied by myself, Robert's daughter, another actor/musician and one vacancy.

I certainly didn't want any dead-beat neighbors.
Old 10th May 2006
Lives for gear

Keep in mind also that this guy is

a) not looking to live with his girl so this will put him in a one bedroom apartment at his budget and

b) as he's looking to bring clientele into his apartment 'studio', he is less likely to find neighbors in a nicer area who are going to put up with much (if any) noise.
Old 10th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlassPrisoner79
Actually, downtown has made incredible progress, and I have faith that it will be revitalized. It is FAR from it, but within 5-10 years, I could see downtown Los Angeles gentrified and booming, similar to what happened to Manhattan and downtown San Diego in the 90's.

Current efforts have made small dents, but the Grand Ave project, and the LA Live project (the 2 billion dollar effort that will host the Grammy's, finally create a hotel large enough to hold people for the convention centers, and house the west coast operation of ESPN) will definitely help boost the area. Once they can manage Skid Row, the area will become another exclusive LA neighboordhood.

Everytime I drive downtown, I see new condos, new lofts, being constructed. It's looking more promising everyday. I have faith this time, but maybe I'm crazy.
Yes Downtown is on the rise...that reminds me I gotta move down town
Old 10th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzpunk
Keep in mind also that this guy is

b) as he's looking to bring clientele into his apartment 'studio', he is less likely to find neighbors in a nicer area who are going to put up with much (if any) noise.
Between this and the insurmountable parking issues out here, these should be at the top of his criteria.

Also, keep in mind no one is going to be inclined to visit him at his 'studio apartment' if located in a shady area.

With the 'studio apartment' being at the top of his list, this offers us the opportunity of opening, yet another can of worms.
Old 10th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlassPrisoner79

I love going downtown. See a show at Disney Hall, have a nice dinner. I hope the renewal works. Not sure it's the best place for music work now, though.

-R
Old 10th May 2006
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKrizman
I love going downtown. See a show at Disney Hall, have a nice dinner. I hope the renewal works. Not sure it's the best place for music work now, though.

-R
Yes, I agree, I didn't intend to sound like that. I just hijacking the thread slightly, with what I think will be a successful revitalization of downtown Los Angeles within a decade, with the incredible progress they have made from the last 10 years, and all the money being pumped into downtown now.

However, I did hear that the Arts District in downtown LA is starting to attract the music/arts crowd, but I don't know any information first hand about it. Perhaps someone here can enlighten us?
Old 10th May 2006
Lives for gear

every time i come back to this thread, there's some new golden nuggets here. thanks everybody, keep'em coming!

Jazzpunk and Picksail, i do appreciate on honing into the core of my situation. i've still got a bit of time before i make a decision, and i'm keeping my ears open to what is available.. and then do some contemplation on this end.

yes, the "studio-apartment" thing has its own problems, like size and dimensions inside; but i figured i address the crucial parts: 1) of not pissing off the neighbors so i can continue to have a place of residency; 2) and good enough neighborhood for mine, gf, and client's safety & comfort.

i'm guessing rent first and scoping out the area is prob the best choice at this point. it sounds like there's a plethora of sections in LA and differing cultures surrounding them. the only way to know is to actually have in contact and familiarize myself to the area.. posts regarding "405" and max cooper's "specific" generalization is incredibly helpful.

btw, i just found out that a very close friend of mine is willing to go in on the apt/flat/house, thus upping the budget and thereby increasing options, or at least keep rent low. he used to be a drummer, but lately does more film production; so he's understanding when it comes to music vs. space issues. he'll be commuting, so the west is looking promising.

i'm jotting down some serious notes on LA now..
Old 10th May 2006
Lives for gear

We're here for you buddy.

Last edited by picksail; 11th May 2006 at 02:50 AM..

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search