The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
How to Achieve the Status of "Hybrid Studio"
Old 9th May 2006
Gear Nut

How to Achieve the Status of "Hybrid Studio"

I watched the MILAR DVD and i saw something that caught my eye. Charles Dye was talking about something and it had some video cuts over his voice explaning the "unstopable" Hybrid analog/digital studio. And it showed the machines room and then the Mac screen with imput/output routing options like, Neve 1073, Neve 1066, UA 1176, EL Distressor..etc etc. With further interest i looked up the studio at www.supersonicstudios.com, and confirmed my suspisions with this short exerp, Any thought on how i can achieve this "Hybrid Status" in my studio....seems like a great way to avoid the tedious process of OUTPUT>ROUTE TO GEAR>RE-Record>Mess with phase...blah blah blah. We all (ITB Dudes) Could benefit from this Hybrid Way....Any Suggestions on how to achieve this...digital patch bay,more imputs? i'm stumped with this one --CK
Attached Images
File Type: bmp untitled.bmp (37.0 KB, 609 views)
Old 9th May 2006
Lives for gear

Hybrid set up

Hello,

To have this kind of hybrid set up you have to normalize the ins and outs of

your interfaces to your equipment and then name the ressources in your IO setup .

for ex : in 1 to 8 receive the outs of 8 1073 modules and out 1 to 8 go to the ins of

the same 1073s .

You need to have a lot of ressources (in and outs) to be able to normalize all your

equipment . I work like that and love it .

Volodia
Old 9th May 2006
Gear Nut

but wouldent having your patchbay normalled to the neve's only let the signal flow through the neve's. What would i do that if i wanted to run it through the neve's than to a distressor than to an LA2a etc. And how does it work in real time with my DAW....in the little article it says it patches it in with a mouse click...do they still have to print the outboard effects to a new track? Thanks --CK
Old 9th May 2006
Lives for gear

that's the whole point man.

you have enough inputs and outputs on your digital system (ie protools interfaces) to allow you to permanently connect each one to a piece of hardware, done by normalling the connections in the patchbay.

then make an i/o setup template in your DAW with enough input and output busses to access all of these hardware connections, name them all accordingly and voila!

so when you're mixing and you want to use a piece of hardware you just call up the send/insert in the software with its name on it and the audio is routed to the appropriate output, which is normalled/wired to the appropriate equipment and then back it comes to the DAW, all without having to plug any cables into a patchbay. its all pre-configured in the software as busses/inputs/outputs, labelled, wired and ready to go.

ya dig?

regards,

richie.
Old 9th May 2006
Lives for gear

Hi,

You have to have it normalled through a patch bay . if you want to send to a 1073 then to a distressor you have to do it on the patchbay (otherwise you would go twice through the converters ) ; After the distressor you come back on the interface input corresponding to the 1073 .
You cannot chain inserts directly in the software exept if you resign to go twice through the conversion . You can assign inputs directly but can "only" insert single hardware components .
If I record through a 1073 linked to a compressor I will assign my input to the compressor .

Hope it's clear enough .

Volodia
Old 9th May 2006
Lives for gear

So when I want two EQ's and a compressor inserted on my lead vocal, how many times is it being convertered? (The answer would be six.) I think it is probably a great selling point to some people, but I think I will stick with my patchbay.
Old 9th May 2006
Gear Nut

Yeah it seems kind of insane.....and now that i think about it......re-wiring my whole rig again is giving instant headache....i will just keep sending out to outboard and re-recording as usual......mabey when i can afford a huge HD system with that many 96i/0's i will consider, but it is un-likely--Thanks Guys--CK
Old 9th May 2006
Gear Addict

But couldn't you set up certain things to be normaled and the others not. Like your outputs would be normalled go to the Neves then back in. But if you want to add a distressor to the chain, you'd do that on the patchbay. Patching that would break the normalling of the Neves...wouldn't it?

I have what I consider to be a Hybrid studio...I use digital and analog. My outputs in Pro Tools go through my Radar into my Trident console...then the 2bus comes back through the Radar into PT. Then any outboard gear is patched the old fashioned way. As impressive as their "revolutionary hybrid studio concept" sounds, it doesn't seem to be much different than what most of us are doing. They route it to their distressor in PT (through a preconfigured patchbay), I route it on a normal patchbay. What's the difference?
Old 9th May 2006
Lives for gear

Old 9th May 2006
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by phelbin
As impressive as their "revolutionary hybrid studio concept" sounds, it doesn't seem to be much different than what most of us are doing. They route it to their distressor in PT (through a preconfigured patchbay), I route it on a normal patchbay. What's the difference?
That is a good point...i do something similar...i just thought it was kinda cool having all of your outboard gear setup ITB.....Well i guess that why i took a week soildering in my gear to a patch bay right? --CK
Old 9th May 2006
Gear Maniac

I have what I guess you could call a very humble (and "unstopable"!) hybrid setup. I just got an EMU 1820M and have it's 8 analog in's and out's going to outboard comps and FX. If I want something to got to both a comp and FX, I chain them together by hand. A whole lot of work, but after 7 seconds of hard labour, I'm set to go. When I get more outboard stuff, I'll probably get a patch bay with the EMU's 8 in/outs, and the outboard stuff. Good times!
Old 9th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zwinter
So when I want two EQ's and a compressor inserted on my lead vocal, how many times is it being convertered? (The answer would be six.) I think it is probably a great selling point to some people, but I think I will stick with my patchbay.

EXACTLY why I'm keeping mine!!!!

The I/O option is great if you're only inserting 1 unit but if you decide to go compressor then EQ then compressor again, you're fried man.

That's out the box to the compressor, then out of the comp back into the DAW, then out again in to the EQ, out of the EQ, in the DAW once again, then out of the DAW, into the last comp, then back in the DAW again.

To much for me...

I use a patchbay and make this round trip a one time thing... Then I set my main outs of my chain to an input on my AD 16X...

Works like a charm.

And I also use a summing box... so that's another step of AD to add to my equation
Jason
Old 10th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Poulin
EXACTLY why I'm keeping mine!!!!

The I/O option is great if you're only inserting 1 unit but if you decide to go compressor then EQ then compressor again, you're fried man.

That's out the box to the compressor, then out of the comp back into the DAW, then out again in to the EQ, out of the EQ, in the DAW once again, then out of the DAW, into the last comp, then back in the DAW again.

Out of the DAW D/A (1 conversion)
Now you're analog
Use your patchbay to go to as many analog pieces of gear it takes to make you happy
A/D converter back into the DAW

I count two conversions

Am I missing something?
Old 10th May 2006
Lives for gear

I used to work like this for a while but with the outboard connected to the converters, no patchbay. I found it a bit inflexible and the extra conversions were deffinatley not helping. I now have 8 in's and out's named insert 1-8 coming out on the patchbay along with the outboard.

I had an idea that hardware manufacturers could make a 'dummy' picture of their front panel that could be associated with the hardware for recording the settings. Basically a 'super cool' recall sheet. I know it's easy enough to write the settings on paper or in the notepad on the PC but I think it would be cool to have say a LA2A set up on a fixed in and out with the picture of the 'dummy' front panel when you clicked the edit plugin button.

Surely in a world where sales of hardware have so much competiton from software equivelents, especially at the lower end that the hardware manufacturers should make the intergration as seamless as possible.
Old 10th May 2006
jhg
Lives for gear

lotsa converters

My thought - to make it effective to digitally patch analog: Most things used in mixing where signal would originate from the DAW(All i/o) is in a patchbay(full normalled) are fed from ADA units. Things like pres that are soley fed from external analog sources don't need a channel of AD, just AD. When more than two things are being used in a chain, analog(the horror) patching occurs. Quick and recallable, yes, underutilizing plenty of channels of ADA, yes.

In my very humble rack I have 25 ins, outs of analog stuff to be routed-17 channels of compression, 2 eq, 3 stereo very analog effects units(most eq done from board, would be another 10 without it?). A nice collection may have at least 60? Plus AD for pres.

Using less than stellar conversion might null putting a beautiful compressor or eq in the chain.

It is a cool concept. When(or if) I give up my console completley for itb, and own some things that cannot be fully plugin-ized(a 670, 1176s, la3a, pultec eqs, obligatory pres, etc) and equivalent ada, would be good way to go. Until then, I like and can afford my analog board and accessories, 32 i/o DAW work, albeit with more movement and recall time involved...
Old 10th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bongo
Out of the DAW D/A (1 conversion)
Now you're analog
Use your patchbay to go to as many analog pieces of gear it takes to make you happy
A/D converter back into the DAW

I count two conversions

Am I missing something?

Yes, you missed my point. I made that example for if you didn't use a patchbay. The amount of conversion is way too many.

So... Like I said,

It's absolutely necessary to use the patchbay for these types of inserts.

With that setup, it's cat's ASS

Jason
Old 10th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Poulin
It's absolutely necessary to use the patchbay for these types of inserts.

With that setup, it's cat's ASS

Jason
Sorry,
As you can see by my avatar.
I have the cat's ASS!
Old 14th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bongo
Sorry,
As you can see by my avatar.
I have the cat's ASS!

lol

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search