The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
stereo pair for acoustic guitar? Condenser Microphones
Old 22nd February 2012
Gear Addict

a strong vote here for the Groove Tubes GT-40 (or GT-44) - medium diaphragm tube mics, they sound amazing on acoustic guitars - yes the tube does make a difference, incredible detail, and nice presence without ever being harsh ....
also great and very underrated mics for overheads (I'm choosing them over KM-184's in 9 out of 10 drum recordings), and for snare (not so much for heavy-hitter rock'n'roll snare, but great for jazz and ballad stuff, especially for brushes).
and they are cheap, you can find them for 250-300 bucks these days.
Old 22nd February 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by gideonspress View Post
Ohhh..forgot to mention. This pair of mics will probably do double-duty as drum overheads, so that is why it should be a stereo pair and not mismatched mics.
Ah, then don't let anyone scare you off the 184's. They have nice low end reach for drum overheads, more so than, say, a 451. Really depends on your budget, too. I've been curious about the Telefunken Ela M 260.

-R
Old 22nd February 2012
Lives for gear

can´t beat a real pair of KM56´s....IF stereo is what you need/want!

mono tube LDC can be the ticket....as mentioned.

a pair of Mojave MA-100´s can be an affordable solution for nice tube SDC´s...

but I also love Jon´s Shinybox 46MXC´s on acoustic!!
Old 25th February 2012
Here for the gear

I went ahead and purchased the pair of km 184's...they are enroute and can't wait to try them out. I've also been entertaining the idea of buying a royer 121 for electric guitar and thought maybe it might also sound decent recording the acoustic MS with the royer and one of the km184's. Any thoughts on this?
Old 26th February 2012
Gear Maniac

M/S

The Royer is figure 8. So you could record M/S as someone suggested. I also find that recording an acoustic in mono is more effective most situations, as part of a multi-instrument recording in particular.

I have a pair of 184s and love them. They sound fantastic. I never used an 84. I suspect if I did I would be so blown away by it that honey would drip out of my ears and I would just throw my 184s out the window. The 184s will get the job done. Neumann (Sennheiser) are so consistent in their production that the mics are a matched pair.
Old 26th February 2012
Lives for gear

Another vote for AKG c451ebs! They sound great on acoustic! I have the c451b as well. Not as sweet on the top end , but still a great mic! I've had some great results using a c451eb on the neck and an AT4033 on the body! Who knew?
Old 26th February 2012
Gear Guru

I'm a bit on this topic myself.

just bought a KM184... yes it's "watery" compared to the KM84, but it still has that familiar TONE to it that you hear on something like bob dylan's "Bringing it all back Home" or Nick Drake's "Pink Moon" that sort of "oh yeah that's what an acoustic guitar should sound like" kind of tone. where the picking and finger movements are highly accented and the tone just sort of comes right down the middle. I'd wish for a KM84 but for now this is pretty nice

I'm also having great luck with a rebuilt Apex 460 I made in the AKG C12 style. You might have similar results from a Peluso P12 or a JJ Audio Dutch. I am actually building a second one to make a drum overhead pair. The sound on acoustic guitar is somewhat spectacular.

If you want a zingy crisper sound the Shure KSM141 or KSM137 is nice. Something along the lines of OK Computer or something...I like it.

The Avenson STO-2 gives a very friendly warm sound on acoustic guitar and can be crammed right up in the sound hole due to its omnidirectional pickup pattern

The Electrovoice dynamic mics with their Variable-D design can also be placed close to the instrument...I've heard good sounds from the PL-20/RE-20 and the 660/PL6 on acoustic guitar. not the classic sparkly sound but more of a rugged tone

the Sennheiser MD-441 works quite well on the acoustic guitar and is very smooth sounding

The AT4051 works well on certain guitars, nylon especially, has a very "light" sound. The PRO 37 sounds cool too for dirt cheap.

I'm pretty sure my Peluso 2247 SE sounds good on acoustic guitar too, but I haven't tried it in a while since I'm always singing into it

The oktava 012 also can work great, very "woody" but not the largest sound
Old 26th February 2012
Gear Addict

For solo acoustic I generally use a matched pair of Elation KM201's with excellent results. I'm not sure if they're still available new but I do see them from time to time on eBay...

Good luck. Mike
Old 26th February 2012
Lives for gear

Stereo micing acoustic guitars

As along as the mics are fairly well matched and coincident they can nicely blended to taste, even summed to mono if preferred. I am often content with a pair of AKG 451s. I like these a better than my KM184s. I also like large diaphram condensors for this purpose but have to be really careful about too much low end and subsonic
Old 1st March 2012
Here for the gear

so... just got my KM 184's. Is it me or are these things miniature?? I'm new to recording so not sure how large the average SDC mic is, but wow... I thought I had been swindled out of a 1000 bucks. Hopefully they have a big sound though.
Old 1st March 2012
Lives for gear

I went with DPA 4006L
Old 1st March 2012
Lives for gear
It all depends on what you're trying to accomplish with the acstc. gtrs. in the mix.

If the acstc. gtr. is the main focus instrument (folk genre) then probably one nice tube LDC in a decent (treated) room will be the fit. Then that gets panned dead center, probably run thru a nice compressor, maybe some EQ and you done.

The tune I'm working on now is a dense, groove type rock track with a pretty heavy bass line, piano, and electric gtr. The acstcs. are a steady strumming riff that is a very important part of the groove, but not dominant at all in the mix. For this I sit at the top of an old 1895 stairway that connects to a very large chamber (16' X 120') with 18' ceilings. I use 2 mics, 1 km 84 about 12" away from the sound hole, and then a CMV 563 with the m55k omni cap about 13' from the guitar and at the mid point of the stairway.

The km84 is the close mic, and the m55k is pretty much all chamber. I then double track the same riff twice, then pan hard L & R. The result is spectacular sounding for rythym strumming; the acstcs. cut thru a VERY dense mix and the song is nowhere near the same without them in the mix.

Lately I'm finding that a real chamber sound captured properly completely blows away even the most expensive verb units. There is zero latency on the verb this way, and thus no washiness or muddiness whatsoever. Same with vocals, horns, or anything you want very tight, lush sounding verb on.

Old 1st March 2012
Gear Guru

Quote:
so... just got my KM 184's. Is it me or are these things miniature?? I'm new to recording so not sure how large the average SDC mic is, but wow... I thought I had been swindled out of a 1000 bucks. Hopefully they have a big sound though.
I view that as a positive trait. Let's say you're miking a hi hat on drumset... the small size allows you to point the rear of the mic more toward the rest of the drums but without the back of the mic getting in the way of the drummer's playing area of the hat. I just like small mics, I guess, too. What I thought was cheesy was the finish on these...not so inspiring, but, just cosmetic I guess.

I think they are big sounding as far as small condensers go. Plenty of depth and bass from these.
Old 1st March 2012
+1 on a mono mic.... with that said, if i were collecting great mics for the locker... up on ebay at the moment is this...

stereo pair for acoustic guitar?Sennheiser MKH40 p48 MKH 40 Cardiod MINT w/ box mounts and clip | eBay

An absolutely phenomenal mic for the $$$... Fast, articulate & detailed - really low noise and if you feel the need to want to go stereo, pair this (as the Middle in an M/S setup or 12th Fret position) with an LDC or Ribbon (as Side mic or In front of the body/soundhole) will yield you great results... YMMV
Old 1st March 2012
Quote:
Ohhh..forgot to mention. This pair of mics will probably do double-duty as drum overheads, so that is why it should be a stereo pair and not mismatched mics.
I'm wondering if AKG 451s might be a good choice?
Old 1st March 2012
Old 1st March 2012
Lives for gear

++1 on the Oktava MK012! and Michael Joly's mod ($100 ea I think)
jn

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search