The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
HDTV Ready vs. LCD
Old 9th May 2006
Lives for gear

HDTV Ready vs. LCD

I'm looking to pick up maybe a flat panel, but wanted to know the difference btw HDTV ready and regular LCD. I saw a 27" by Viewsonic, but i'm wondering if anyone here ahas any experience with this company (model no. Viewsonic 27-inch N2750W Wide Screen HDTV Ready LCD TV)... longevity/brightness/fatigue on eyes..?

Also : Im a loooong time user of flat screen CRT monitors. Are the LCD's better/worse?
Old 9th May 2006
Lives for gear

HDTV is a new standard that increases the resolution from 640 x 480 to above 1280 x 780. It also changes the aspect ratio from 4:3 to 16:9.

LCD is a type of display technology that uses liquid crystals, which are somewhere between a liquid and a solid. Yeah, I know this sound a little strange. These molecules are able to keep there position like a solid, but they can also move around like a liquid. When an electrical charge is applied to these molecules they will act in a very predictable manor. LCD technology uses this predictability to make light pass in certain areas. Through this manipulation it is able to create the images we see.

As you can see these two things are related only by the fact that a LCD TV can be HDTV compatible. Other than that they are totally different. HDTV is a specification, similar to the THX specification; LCD is a display technology, that would be like ribbon technology in the audio world.
Old 10th May 2006
Lives for gear

ahh.. ok. thanks for the info. thumbsup

does anyone have this particular monitor or any experience with Viewsonic LCD's?

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search