The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Noisy API gear
Old 9th May 2006
Lives for gear

Noisy API gear

Hey all. I'm currently using a pair of API 525's and 560's both of which are noisy in the upper frequencies (above 4k). They are mounted in a 6B lunchbox. Any advice on troubleshooting to reduce or eliminate the hiss?

Thanks in advance,

Mizzle
Old 9th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mizzle
Hey all. I'm currently using a pair of API 525's and 560's both of which are noisy in the upper frequencies (above 4k). They are mounted in a 6B lunchbox. Any advice on troubleshooting to reduce or eliminate the hiss?

Thanks in advance,

Mizzle

I'd check your cabling first.
Old 9th May 2006
Lives for gear

What's after the 525's?

I use exactly that combination, and it's pretty damn quiet.

I had to send back a 525 for a failed opamp, but that made it crunchy, not noisy.
Old 9th May 2006
Lives for gear

Are the APIs being used in a +4 dBu level environment?

Bri
Old 11th May 2006
Lives for gear

SO.....

To answer a couple questions:

Yes, it has been operating in a +4 dBu environment.

The 560's immediately follow the 525's (there is no patch bay or other device in between).

-- Upon further inspection it seems that the 560's only contribute a neglidgeable amount to the noise. I have checked the cabling and this has no effect on the level of noise. It seems that the source must be post input-gain as the only pots that control the hiss level are the ceiling and output controls. These are original 525's and their condition and noise level are similar.

Should I simply be sending the 525's the hottest signal I can to improve the S/N ratio?

And by the way... does anyone know what some of the button combinations will do (example: "all buttons out" or "1 and 2 in" etc.)?

Thanks,
Mizzle
Old 11th May 2006
Lives for gear

All buttons out: 0.1 sec release
button 1 in: 0.5 sec release
both in: 2 sec release
button 2 in: 2.5 sec release

By pressing the compress and limit buttons in at the same time you can get an "all button in" mode on the 525 which gives it the 'swimming' sound of a very high compression ratio. I believe the attack time is freq. dependent, but don't quote me on that.

The ceiling control is like a linked threshold and make-up gain control. As you turn it up, the threshold goes down and the makeup gain goes up.

I have a pair of newer ones (late nineties) and they're really quiet since they've been back from the factory.

I have a PDF of an old 525 manual if you want it.
Old 11th May 2006
Lives for gear

Thanks for the info, Max! That .pdf would be great; the more information the better.

Mizzle

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search