The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
R.I.P Stephen St. Croix
Old 12th June 2006
Lives for gear

Vade in Pace!!

Oh my God!

I just read this thread and let me tell you that i'm more then CHOKED!! Damn, here in Canada, i was one of the first people to BUY the PARIS Sytem and man since that i knew who SSC. And i've learn so much reading his articles and even more. I remember, while he was or should i say when Paris existed bakc in the day , in Paris forum, i used to get answers from him etc..

Wow...What a lost but lets remember "the Man can die but his IDEAS will never die"

With all respect, i must say " Vade in Pace"

God bless his soul!

Truly

My
Old 14th June 2006
Lives for gear

whewwww

i can remember already haveing a subscription to mix when fastlane started... and thought this guy is TWISTED !!! we could party anytime.... loved him from the git-go and will miss the viewpoint.... cant believe im actually sobbing.. may have to get out the black armband.... hendrix/lennon/billevans/miles/ st croix
Old 18th June 2006
Here for the gear

I've been reading a "Fast Lane" article every night in honor of SSC, pulled from my 15 year collection. I second the book idea. Come on Mix, hook us up.

R.I.P. SSC, you are missed by many people.
Old 28th January 2017
I miss this guy so much - I think I'll dig up "the fast lane" and read it again.. I used to rifle through new copies of MIX to get to his columns and was always enlightened
Old 28th January 2017
I did the same—started with the Fast Lane. My favorite was the story about the helicopter tour in Hawaii.
Old 18th July 2019
Gear Head

For some reason Stephen St. Croix just now popped into my head and now I'm experiencing a wave of heartbreak.

My 12-year collection of Mix (and small collection of RE/P) is in storage now so I can't console myself by flipping through his articles. Instead I typed his name into a search engine in the hope of finding something he'd written. Sadly there's not much out there (even on the Mix website) but I did find this thread, which is comforting.

I was a teenager in the 90's when I discovered The Fast Lane, which was my primary motivation for purchasing a subscription to Mix Magazine. Indeed, his death was the reason I cancelled.

I never met him or had any interaction with him but through his column he managed to become one of my heroes. I was fascinated by the way he viewed and reported on audio, life and everything else. I wish that my younger self had made an effort to meet him somehow but I didn't and I regret it.

Such is life, I suppose.

Last edited by Piyono; 18th July 2019 at 03:20 PM..
Old 18th July 2019
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell Dawkins View Post
I did the same—started with the Fast Lane. My favorite was the story about the helicopter tour in Hawaii.
I remember that one. Dark Side Of The Moon and a very competent pilot.
Old 18th July 2019
Gear Addict

Stephen would be happy to be remembered in this way and to know that he made a difference. Such a loss.

Steve
Old 18th July 2019
I wonder if anyone has read or knows where to get the compilation of Stephen's best articles "Life in the Fast Lane: Selected Works of Stephen St.Croix" compiled by Sarah Benzuly.

If the helicopter story is not in there, I'm not interested—that's my metric!

I'm speaking as a guy who in 1966 as a 22 yr old put on an impromtu demonstration of 'interpretive flying' in a T-33 trainer jet at very low altitude, just south of Regina, Sakatchewan, to the Rolling Stones' Honky Tonk Woman (I think) being played on the local AM radio station which I could tune in on the aircraft radio. I figured if someone in a car on the ground had that station tuned in and saw me, they might twig that what I was doing was '3D dancing' to the tune, a bit like the chopper pilot in the St. Croix story.

I sometimes wonder if anybody noticed.

https://www.mixonline.com/technology...st-lane-378134
Old 18th July 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piyono View Post
For some reason Stephen St. Croix just now popped into my head and now I'm experiencing a wave of heartbreak.

My 12-year collection of Mix (and small collection of RE/P) is in storage now so I can't console myself by flipping through his articles. instead I typed his name into a search engine in the hopes of finding something he'd written. Sadly there's not much out there (even on the Mix website) but I did find this thread, which is comforting.

I was a teenager in the 90's when I discovered The Fast Lane, which was my primary motivation for purchasing a subscription to Mix Magazine. Indeed, his death was the reason I cancelled.

I never met him or had any interaction with him but through his column he managed to become one of my heroes. I was fascinated by the way he viewed and reported on audio, life and everything else. I wish that my younger self had made an effort to meet him somehow but I didn't and I regret it.

Such is life, I suppose.
What a great thing to say about someone! Thank you for bringing him up again.

I don't have as good memory as most here but I do remember this one, way back when I was a young man... (I kid I kid) I fell in love with reverb, it became an obsession. At one of the AES shows in NY I heard the Quantec Room Simulator and was blown away (hey it was the 80's!).

I found later (again I don't remember how) that Stephen St-Croix was involved in either selling or part of the design. I managed to locate his number from the studio he was at and worked up the nerve to call him.

My initial reason for calling was to ask him who was selling the Quantec in my area and if I could possibly get a demo. Well it was a long distance call and in those days it was crazy expensive to call anyone outside of Canada. I quickly forgot the expense as I fell into Stephen's world of story telling and technical anecdotes. I was mesmerized. First that someone like him who I thought initially I was bothering with trivial questions would even talk to me. Second that he would not only answer my questions but end up talking for over an hour or two about audio but also his electronics engineering and life in general. It was like talking to someone I knew well. Such was his way of making me (and obviously not only me as everyone here seems to have had similar experiences) feel totally relaxed and free.

We've all heard the saying "they don't make them like that anymore" and I think it fits him well, he was one of those unique individuals that grabbed life by the tail and wouldn't let go.

Grace comes to mind.

Cheers
Old 18th July 2019
Lives for gear

I met Stephen at an AES show one year, he Glenn Meadows and I were watching the Tuvian throat singer they had there singing through Glenn’s new SSL console. We were all quite amazed by this artist.

Stephen was a sweetheart of a man. So easy to talk to and we all were passionate about audio. We talked as much about motorcycles. I miss him and his articles.

I remember he had some of the first voice recognition software to write his remaining few articles. Sad to see such a giant of a man go that way... and he was a tall man, 6’4” or 6’6”. RIP Stephen.
Old 18th July 2019
Gear Head

Quote:
I wonder if anyone has read or knows where to get the compilation of Stephen's best articles "Life in the Fast Lane: Selected Works of Stephen St.Croix" compiled by Sarah Benzuly.
I was wondering the same thing because the store link is broken so I tweeted Mix Magazine. Still waiting for a reply.

Quote:
I'm speaking as a guy who in 1966 as a 22 yr old put on an impromtu demonstration of 'interpretive flying' in a T-33 trainer jet at very low altitude, just south of Regina, Sakatchewan, to the Rolling Stones' Honky Tonk Woman (I think) being played on the local AM radio station which I could tune in on the aircraft radio. I figured if someone in a car on the ground had that station tuned in and saw me, they might twig that what I was doing was '3D dancing' to the tune, a bit like the chopper pilot in the St. Croix story.

I sometimes wonder if anybody noticed.

https://www.mixonline.com/technology...st-lane-378134
I had to look up 'T-33 Trainer Jet'. Did you have to answer for insubordination?
In 1966 I was ten years away from being born (In Toronto) .
Old 18th July 2019
Lives for gear

He was my friend.
If you knew him, you'd miss him even more.
Inexhaustible, invigorating, infuriating,..... irreplaceable.
He left a hole in the world for many of us.
Old 18th July 2019
Gear Addict

I remember a Mix article where he measured the SPL of having a window open in a car ride - it was particularly powerful assault on the ear. He always had a tangent view or perspective on what the typical hype of the day was and how it actually played out in the real world. I can't imagine how exhausted he would be in today's expanded crap fest on the internet.
Old 18th July 2019
Quote:

I had to look up 'T-33 Trainer Jet'. Did you have to answer for insubordination?
In 1966 I was ten years away from being born (In Toronto) .
I was solo, so I didn't have to answer for anything, and if I did it wouldn't have been for insubordination. In those days, pre-GPS, no-one knew where you were except the nearest radar operator.

Back to Stephen St. Croix...
Old 19th July 2019
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluzzi View Post
What a great thing to say about someone! Thank you for bringing him up again.

I don't have as good memory as most here but I do remember this one, way back when I was a young man... (I kid I kid) I fell in love with reverb, it became an obsession. At one of the AES shows in NY I heard the Quantec Room Simulator and was blown away (hey it was the 80's!).

I found later (again I don't remember how) that Stephen St-Croix was involved in either selling or part of the design. I managed to locate his number from the studio he was at and worked up the nerve to call him.

My initial reason for calling was to ask him who was selling the Quantec in my area and if I could possibly get a demo. Well it was a long distance call and in those days it was crazy expensive to call anyone outside of Canada. I quickly forgot the expense as I fell into Stephen's world of story telling and technical anecdotes. I was mesmerized. First that someone like him who I thought initially I was bothering with trivial questions would even talk to me. Second that he would not only answer my questions but end up talking for over an hour or two about audio but also his electronics engineering and life in general. It was like talking to someone I knew well. Such was his way of making me (and obviously not only me as everyone here seems to have had similar experiences) feel totally relaxed and free.

We've all heard the saying "they don't make them like that anymore" and I think it fits him well, he was one of those unique individuals that grabbed life by the tail and wouldn't let go.

Grace comes to mind.

Cheers
That's a really cool story, man. Thanks for sharing. I'm jealous of your nerve and of that experience.
How many Canadians we got in this place, anyway?? #wethenorth and such.
Old 19th July 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
That's a really cool story, man. Thanks for sharing. I'm jealous of your nerve and of that experience.
How many Canadians we got in this place, anyway?? #wethenorth and such.

"Canadians" LOL, I was thinking the same thing. Seems Canada had an affinity for St-Croix.

Another man that comes to mind that reminds me of St-Croix is John Hardy. I met him at the AES and ended up talking on the phone for a while. As generous with his time as he was humble. He has great stories about Deane Jensen. I bought the M1 preamp from him and still use it to this day. But I digress....if anyone knows of a link or publication with anything from St-Croix please let us know here.

Cheers

Jim
Old 19th July 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by burp182 View Post
He was my friend.
If you knew him, you'd miss him even more.
Inexhaustible, invigorating, infuriating,..... irreplaceable.
He left a hole in the world for many of us.
wow..he was a huge inspiration to me..
Old 19th July 2019
Lives for gear

Deservedly so, I think.
He was complex - challenging, riotously funny, as opinionated a human as you'll ever find and a non-stop seeker. I rarely had a conversation where I didn't learn something or discover a different viewpoint on whatever we talked about.
He was a rare gift and I consider myself lucky I knew him. He drove me nuts at times but I wouldn't have traded him for the world.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search