The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
R.I.P Stephen St. Croix
Old 9th May 2006
Lives for gear

"there's a hole in my life..."
Old 9th May 2006
Lives for gear

I recall seeing his name everytime I booted the Paris system.
Awesome talent, God Bless and rest in peace.
Old 9th May 2006
Lives for gear

I no longer have a reason to buy Mix magazines.

Who buys it? I thought everyone got it for free.
Old 9th May 2006
Lives for gear

I'll truly miss him. Reading his colums over the past few years had really got me through some tough times. I went through having to tear down my studio (and subsequently rebuilding it) because of a toxic mold problem and was very sick because of it for a long time. After reading about Stephen's tree insident, this motercycle accident and how he couldn't sneeze with out excruciating pain...it put most of my problems in perspective.

R.I.P. Stephen

Old 9th May 2006
Gear Addict

RIP Steve.

-Tony
Old 9th May 2006
Lives for gear

Goodbye old friend...

Steve was a truly unique individual.

Paul
www.millbrooksoundstudios.com
Attached Thumbnails
R.I.P Stephen St. Croix-marshall.jpg  
Old 9th May 2006
Lives for gear

R.I.P.
Old 9th May 2006
Gear Addict

Posted in the Paris NG...

"Steven died in his sleep early this morning after a couple of truly
peaceful days. He woke once, Thursday evening, and found himself
surrounded by friends and family. He talked sleepily with all of us,
understood he was deeply loved, and told us he had been flying in a
wonderful and amazing place without pain. He woke again early Friday
morning and was as clear, strong, and aware as he had been in his
healthiest days. He told me he had been in "a place beautiful beyond
my life," told me he wanted to die and go back there, and fell into a
final sleep.

The world is a poorer place without him. Please carry him in your
thoughts, hearts, and prayers.

Thank you all for being there for him and for me."

g
Old 10th May 2006
Gear Head

Lost a good one... I loved his articles.. It was always a nice change from the rest of the mag... I hope they do reprints or I'll have to dig into the pile...
Old 10th May 2006
jhg
Lives for gear

RIP

A book of his articles must happen. I'll take 3.

I am deeply saddened to hear this news. I got a few non-audio geeks(think Harpers readers who like good sound) into reading Mix soley for/because of his articles. His words and thoughts sparked a good deal of conversation throughout the years.
Old 10th May 2006
Gear Guru
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell Dawkins
One I remember especially had him in Hawaii getting a helicopter tour with a manic ex Vietnam chopper pilot who flew a route choreographed to the tune of - was it Pink Floyd? I'll have to dig through my stacks of Mix now.
If anyone knows which issue this is, please let me know as I'm in the process of boxing all my hi-fi and recording mags up to give to the local university and I might just keep that one.
I absolutely remember that one. In fact, I can remember a few of his articles. Always the first thing I went to in Mix.

RIP.
Old 10th May 2006
Right, he was flying around in the chopper and it gave a whole new resonance to Pink Floyd... people like that, living larger than life, I like that. And of course being a literary guy, and determined to share his insights, writing... that's a very noble calling.

Last edited by joelpatterson; 10th May 2006 at 02:14 AM..
Old 10th May 2006
Lives for gear

Another sad PARIS and Mix user here...RIP!
Old 12th May 2006
from Pro Sound News:

Los Angeles, CA (May 10, 2006)--We are sad to report the death of Stephen St. Croix - aka Steven Curtis Marshall - who died early Saturday morning, May 6, following a lengthy battle with melanoma. We offer condolences to his wife and many friends around the world.

Stephen was a complex, multifaceted individual who was equally at ease with performance, production, and equipment design, as well as being a respected columnist in the pro audio industry. While a professional musician and engineer/producer, he founded Marshall Electronic, under whose auspices he designed the Marshall Time Modulator.

He worked on a number of landmark sessions during the past three decades, including Stevie Wonder's Songs in the Key of Life and The Secret Life of Plants. He designed Lightning Studios in the late-seventies--one of the first full-featured project facilities--and formed Marshall-Quantec to import and support the legendary Quantec Room Simulator, followed by the XL Digital Signal Processor.

He invented the 'Revectorization' process used to reconstruct the soundtracks for motion pictures, including Gone with The Wind, Wizard of Oz, Easter Parade and Yankee Doodle Dandy. He became a technical editor/consultant to R-E/P magazine and created the "Living with Technology" column. He later moved to MIX magazine, where for 18 years he authored the popular "Fast Lane" column.

He was a design and marketing consultant for companies including Hybrid Arts, Wadia and Symetrix. In 1995, he co-founded Intelligent Devices, which designed, developed and marketed several software plug-ins, and the highly regarded PARIS digital audio workstation in conjunction with EMU-Ensoniq. In addition to offering custom products and services for the pro-audio industry, ID also designs and develops a number of speech recovery and processing systems for Federal agency and law-enforcement applications. He was also invited to serve on a National Archives committee looking into the possible contents of an 18.5-minute gap on the infamous Watergate tapes.

Outside of the professional audio field, he was a talented designer of automotive and motorcycle engines, working with a number of manufacturers on leading-edge turbo-charged systems. This was all in service of his never-ending quest for maximum acceleration and G-forces.

He was a very unique individual who will be missed by many for a very long time.
Attached Thumbnails
R.I.P Stephen St. Croix-1-st_croix.jpg  
Old 12th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhg
A book of his articles must happen.
Agreed. They really were great. This is all very sad, but from his description, he's in a greater place now. So good for him. R.I.P.
Old 12th May 2006
DDD
Gear Nut

dang...hate that...God Bless WDIK 3d
Old 12th May 2006
Mastering

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdAudioInc
Just got news that SSC has passed away.
I didn't know him, but loved his articles.
Tonight, let's all raise a cold tube in his honor.

The man was one of a kind. He will be missed. I hardly knew him but loved his attitude!
Old 13th May 2006
Lives for gear

another pic of SSC
Attached Thumbnails
R.I.P Stephen St. Croix-st.jpg  
Old 13th May 2006
FX smörgåsbord user

My condolences to Stephen's family + friends.

I really loved his writing style. Ridicously hip + irreverent, and always spot on industry commentary.

Fast Lane was a great column.

The pages of Mix will be missing their edge.

And we'll miss you, Stephen.
Old 13th May 2006
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdAudioInc
Just got news that SSC has passed away.
I didn't know him, but loved his articles.
Tonight, let's all raise a cold tube in his honor.
That's horrible. He was the best thing about MIX magazine.

Rest in peace, Stephen.

Maybe, if we're very lucky, we'll get to talk to you in the next world...
Old 13th May 2006
Lives for gear

He was an inspiration. A breath of fresh air each month that seemed so familiar it should have been stale. Somehow he always seemed to sum up the state of audio and the state of the world in a way that was timeless and current. I'll miss that, but I'll also miss the fact that I always hoped to grab a beer with him at AES or at some motorcyle rally.

Thanks SSC and condolensces to all his friends and family.
Old 13th May 2006
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonymatt
One of the only places in Mix that consistently had genuine substance and humor.

After reading his columns for years, it felt like I really knew him. What a cool guy.
My feelings exactly, RIP Stephen you will be missed.
Old 13th May 2006
One with big hooves

We've lost yet another a killer human being.

Even though I never met him directly, I fondly remember him hanging out on the rec.audio.pro newsgroup YEARS ago & all the exchanges...sometimes heated, sometimes funny but always insightful. He always seemed to know at least a little bit about everything!

People like him are few & far between...a true master of life & everything that he touched.

I hope someone will compile & publish a "best of" book of his articles...I doubt it'd just sit on the shelves & go unread...there's just too much inspring knowledge there to let go of.

RIP man.
Old 13th May 2006
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell Dawkins
I, too, would almost never have bought Mix if it weren't for Stephen and found little else of substance except for equipment reviews (and only some of them), the graphics on article title pages and the comments at the foot of articles alongside the author's names.
I would definitely pay for a complete collection of his Mix columns.

One I remember especially had him in Hawaii getting a helicopter tour with a manic ex Vietnam chopper pilot who flew a route choreographed to the tune of - was it Pink Floyd? I'll have to dig through my stacks of Mix now.
If anyone knows which issue this is, please let me know as I'm in the process of boxing all my hi-fi and recording mags up to give to the local university and I might just keep that one.
Bad month for me - this is the third death of someone I cared about. First two were personal friends of long standing.
I remember reading that about ten years ago in college i loved that story so much i think i tried to retell it to everyone i knew! That is the first article that comes to mind when i think about him. Great to hear that it made an impression on someone else. Goose bumps.
Old 14th May 2006
Gear Addict

I never met Stephen, but like many, I loved his articles, and read them religiously in my early 20s. They were, in fact, one of the reasons that I decided to try my hand at writing for these magazines himself. As fate would have it, in the very first article I ever wrote for Electronic Musician, I interviewed his brother, another intelligent, funny, incredibly talented designer. My heart goes out to his family.

Thank you for your contributions Stephen.
Orren
Old 14th May 2006
Gear Head

I had the chance to meet him once in LA in the early 80's. I was a young second engineer in a new studio. He was there to help with the monitoring system. He took the time to talk to me for almost an hour. I asked a lot of stupid questions. He answered all of them. R.I.P Mr. St. Croix. You will be remembered and missed.
Old 14th May 2006
Totally dug Steves articles and thought the Digital Meter plug was way ahead it's time. The cover art was very down home and was drawn by Steve. Here's a scan of the cover, which I kept long after the software was semi-retired when it didn't make the transition to OSX.

R.I.P
Old 14th May 2006
Lives for gear

Wow, that sucks.

I've been out of town and just heard about this from GS. I've always looked forward to his columns.

RIP SSC.
Old 18th May 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sproto
I remember reading that about ten years ago in college i loved that story so much i think i tried to retell it to everyone i knew! That is the first article that comes to mind when i think about him. Great to hear that it made an impression on someone else. Goose bumps.
I finally found the MIX issue with the helicopter story. It was October 1998.
Old 12th June 2006
Lives for gear

You know for those of us that never met him, as a writer he put his heart and soul on the line, you got to know him through mix and you felt like you were old friends with him. I still remember the one article when he talked about growing up on the indian reservation... He was inspiring. I am with most people here who are going to look at the cover of mix next month and say "nice picture" and put it on the coffee table. I would also buy a collection of his articles. He will be missed.

BTW I also loved reading Roger Nichols articles in EQ and other than the fact you started at the back page and turned backwards (which was odd) it was the first thing I read in that mag too. I wonder why he quit doing that? And my wife thinks I just look at the pictures heh

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search