The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
I have just bought a tfpro P38 compressor
Old 8th May 2006
Lives for gear

I have just bought a tfpro P38 compressor

I have just bought a tfpro P38 compressor.
If you haven't already, you guys have got to get yourself one! This is a superb piece of kit and not over priced. Pretty much half the price of 2 Distressors yet it will still squeeze your drum buss to hell if you want it to, and sound mega doing it! The different models are cool. I've used real 1176's, the P38 doesn't sound like a 1176 but it does copy the envelopes well. I've not yet had the pleasure of using an LA2A but I assume its the same story.

Top compthumbsup , great on pretty much anything. It's not transparent but then that not the point of it. Go buy one now!

Steve

Last edited by Jules; 9th May 2006 at 04:32 PM..
Old 9th May 2006
member no 666

Congratulations
Old 9th May 2006

I haven't tried the compressor, have you compared the green setting to the orignal jo meek?

narco

Last edited by Jules; 9th May 2006 at 04:32 PM..
Old 9th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by narco
I haven't tried the compressor, have you compared the green setting to the orignal jo meek?

narco
I've spoke with Ted himself and with the exception of extra features and the fact the stereo compression is now an M/S process, it's the same sound. Just better stereo imaging, much higher ratios if needed and faster attack if needed. It sounds really good though. I'd put it up against a Distressor set to "Nuke" anyday of the week. I've been "nuking" the living day lights out of my drum room mics through it and on mix down using a more sensible setting for the whole kit.

Model wise so I use:
1176 for bass
LA2A for vocals
Green Box drums

Not had it long though so I may use it differently as time goes on.

Last edited by stevetgn; 9th May 2006 at 04:18 PM..
Old 10th May 2006
Lives for gear

This is on my short list for my first quality compressor. Sounds like it would be a good choice for tracking and for not too much more than a distressor with brit mod you could use it on the 2 buss. Any other users with opinions? I'm primarily thinking vocals, acoustic guitar, di'ed electric bass and finally 2 bus (in that order).
Old 10th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by rapfreak
This is on my short list for my first quality compressor. Sounds like it would be a good choice for tracking and for not too much more than a distressor with brit mod you could use it on the 2 buss. Any other users with opinions? I'm primarily thinking vocals, acoustic guitar, di'ed electric bass and finally 2 bus (in that order).
P38 would sort that lot out very nicely my friend!
Old 10th May 2006
not my intention to rain on your parade- in fact the P38 is on my shortlist, so thanks for the information, but I don't think a compressor with M/S built in, is very useful for tracking mono sources. for stereo stems. yes.

IMO
you'll need two compressors at least. one for tracking (suggesting 1176, Distressor..)
and one for stereo stems, that is a bit cleaner to handle this (typical stereo only machines: P38, RNC, Roll music, Kultube, C2, SSL, 2500)

the portico does both (can be linked)
so do my Neumann U473a's
so do a lot of other machines
and the distressor as well. I don't like it on a buss though, but that is my taste.

the P38 looks like a flexible tool. however the importer has still not come back to me about a listening session. .

Last edited by Reptil; 10th May 2006 at 10:30 AM..
Old 10th May 2006
Stevetgn, you don't think it can be transparent?
Lucey, likes and uses the P38 too, for mastering?!! and says it is ultra clean.
So which of the modes do you use, and how hard do you hit the transformers?
I guess these two things can generate mud.

Interesting! It could be even more versatile, than I originally thought.
BTW I have a Joemeek, and love to use it for distorted, punk/rap vocals. no other box distorts in that way when mangled. But that is also the preamp in the box VC-6 (no Q heh)
Old 10th May 2006
Gear Maniac

I've also found the P38 to be very transparent...big and clean...

I use it mostly on my 2 buss...usually modes 3 and 4...a little bit goes a very long way...

I used to use the Drawmer/ME 1968 there...in comparison the '68 was quite a few shades darker than the P38...the P38 also imparted a wider image...probably the m/s part of the processing...

The 68 had a somewhat bigger bottom with the big switch/sidechain in, but the P38 bottom end was tighter and phatter...go figure..!!

The 68 now lives on my drum buss

Big thumbs up here..!!
Old 10th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reptil
Stevetgn, you don't think it can be transparent?
Lucey, likes and uses the P38 too, for mastering?!! and says it is ultra clean.
So which of the modes do you use, and how hard do you hit the transformers?
I guess these two things can generate mud.

Interesting! It could be even more versatile, than I originally thought.
BTW I have a Joemeek, and love to use it for distorted, punk/rap vocals. no other box distorts in that way when mangled. But that is also the preamp in the box VC-6 (no Q heh)
I stand corrected, It can be transparent if you really want it to be. If you don't want to hear compression fx say as a buss master comp, set it to model 1 VCA low 1.2 or 1.5:1 ratio. It will do its job beautifully and you won't hear it working. The main idea behind this comp though is to really hear it "enhancing" the sound! At the end of the day though its just a great unit... use it how you like and enjoy!

Last edited by stevetgn; 10th May 2006 at 12:13 PM..
Old 10th May 2006
can you hear the transformer in the P38, when you hit it hard?
I'm curious after how that would sound
I know this is not intended, but is one of my favourite tricks

I'm going to call the bloody importer again
not really pro audio type company, very surprised even, when I asked for a test session
hmmm the name disappeard from the TFpro.co.uk site... hmmm

Last edited by Reptil; 10th May 2006 at 12:18 PM..
Old 10th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reptil
can you hear the transformer in the P38, when you hit it hard?
I'm curious after how that would sound
I know this is not intended, but is one of my favourite tricks

I'm going to call the bloody importer again
not really pro audio type company, very surprised even, when I asked for a test session
hmmm the name disappeard from the TFpro.co.uk site... hmmm
Reptil email me I may be able to help you.

Last edited by stevetgn; 10th May 2006 at 01:10 PM..
Old 10th May 2006
thanks Steve, I sent you a mail.
please beware of spam etc. better remove your email adress, now it has served it's purpose... up to you of course heh
Old 10th May 2006
it is truly a great and flexible compressor. just tested it over the weekend. used it mainly on the mix buss. very very transparent in mode 4 and nicely colored in mode 2. also digging the transient release and stereo widening...also balance comes in handy.
i shot out the preceding model (the red one that they discontinued) against a smart c2 and an 2-1176. although i preferred the smart i could in no way argue the price difference (x2) compared to the tfpro. serious bang 4 buck.

anyone wanna buy my focusrite isa 430 mkI ?

cheers, warner
Old 17th August 2006
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reptil View Post
I don't think a compressor with M/S built in, is very useful for tracking mono sources. for stereo stems. yes.

Sorry to resurrect this old thread, but could you or anyone else please eloborate on this statement? What sort of issues might one come across using an M/S compressor for tracking?

thanks,

Last edited by requiem; 17th August 2006 at 06:11 PM.. Reason: trimmed quote down further
Old 18th August 2006
Gear Head

many thanks, an interesting thread indeed, but doesn't really answer my question.

What exactly would happen if you pumped and processed a mono source through only the L input of the p38?

thanks
Old 18th August 2006
I think that could best be answered by someone with more intimate knowledge of the P38. I don't know the exact routing. I want to audition one, still. It is a machine with an interesting concept. Something different.

My guess it would be ok to process a mono source.
Old 18th August 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by requiem View Post
...What exactly would happen if you pumped and processed a mono source through only the L input of the p38?...
I have a Joemeek C2, which also converts L/R into M/S and back.
The handbook says that, although you can't use it as a dual mono compressor, you can use it as a mono machine if you use only the left in and out.
The only difference would be that you need more input signal to get it working.
Old 18th August 2006
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by requiem View Post
many thanks, an interesting thread indeed, but doesn't really answer my question.

What exactly would happen if you pumped and processed a mono source through only the L input of the p38?

thanks
Let me first say that I am the US distributor for tfpro…so if this post is inappropriate please delete it.
In my own very little studio I use our M/S compressor for mono tracking all the time and use the left input and width control set to mono. If the M/S implementation is accurate, then the L/R separation should be complete and the only common factor is the compression sidechain, so if only one side is driven, then it should behave like a mono compressor.
There's really no problem with using the P38 as a mono compressor; using the left side only , there is plenty of gain in the compression sidechains to give the same variety of compression effects as if you were using it in stereo.
The only reason the handbook concentrates on calling it a 'stereo compressor' is because if you use it as a 2-channel compressor, there would be compression effect crosstalk between the channels; and also L/R/L crosstalk unless the stereo width control was set exactly on 'stereo'.
I know one engineer who uses the left side only (mono source) for mixing vocals and sets the stereo width control to about 2o’clock. I can’t remember what he said it gave him but he liked the way it sounds!
The P38 is called a 'mastering' compressor, but the reality is that it's anything you want it to be.
I am sure Ted would be happy to answer any questions direct at his website. www.tfpro.com

Paul Robison
http://www.tfprousa.com
Old 20th August 2006
Lives for gear

Paul, If you are just using the left channel for recording, do you set the width to mono and the balance all the way to left? Just wondering.

Thanks
Old 21st August 2006
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by thermos View Post
Paul, If you are just using the left channel for recording, do you set the width to mono and the balance all the way to left? Just wondering.

Thanks
thermos-

Width to mono...balance center or to the left

Paul Robison
www.tfprousa.com

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search