The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
OH placement, snare position
Old 8th May 2006
Gear Head

OH placement, snare position

I was reading the other thread on snare placement in the mix, and was wondering how you guys that relly mostly on the oh for the drum sound deal with OH placement for a centered snare without sacrificing the toms and cimbals sound.

I've recorded quite a few sessions where the oh is in XY over the drums and in the midle ( center of bassdrum), witch means the snare is of to the left (drummers perspective), I've been conpensating for this by compresing the oh without a stereo link.

Just wondering if you know any other way to deal with this, both in tracking and mixing.

cheers
Old 8th May 2006
Lives for gear

recorderman setup
Old 9th May 2006
Lives for gear

draw an imaginary line from the bass drum to the snare.

that line should be at an angle (most drummers have their snare a tad to the left)

That is you're center liine. place your XY in that center.

Adjust the XY setup to have the rest of the kit well balanced throughout that center. play with the angles.

Good luck

Jason
Old 9th May 2006
Gear Head

thanks for the reply,

that is kind of what I've been doing, but I find I have to lower the right side mic so the floor tom has the same presence as the hi, as I don't usually use tom mics this is critical for me.

I also tend to put the mics behind the drums, again for the tom sound, it is really a puzzle getting it right.

cheers
Old 9th May 2006
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Poulin
draw an imaginary line from the bass drum to the snare.

that line should be at an angle (most drummers have their snare a tad to the left)

That is you're center liine. place your XY in that center.

Adjust the XY setup to have the rest of the kit well balanced throughout that center. play with the angles.

Good luck

Jason
Hi Jason

Are you talking about drawing a line from where the beater hits the bass drum to where the stick hits the snare drum or from the tops of each drum?
Old 9th May 2006
Lives for gear

If I receive another recording with overheads, which resemble a stereo snare, I'm gonna scream.
Old 10th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB872
Hi Jason

Are you talking about drawing a line from where the beater hits the bass drum to where the stick hits the snare drum or from the tops of each drum?

beater of kick to where the stick hits the snare

ps: I've used the recorderman setup a few times myself... and I dig it.

Jason
Old 10th May 2006
Gear Maniac

I was going to post a very similar question. I have a drummer who has his snare to the left of his kick by a decent margin. My preferred overhead micing method has always been to the outside and in front of the cymbals facing down and inward towards the drummer. When I use that method the snare definitely pulls to the left(I mix drummers perspective) in my overheads. I am wondering if there are any specific methods people have used successfully to avoid the snare pulling in one direction in this sort of situation, where the drummer has his snare placed farther to the left? I don't know very much about the recorderman method. Is it a three mic method, or do you still mic each individual drum(snare, rack toms, floortoms,etc) but just the overheads are just placed differently? Sometimes I wonder if some engineers remove most of the frequency ranges of the other drums during mixing to avoid phasing with the close mics. Can anyone shed light on this subject or recommend any methods? Thanks
Old 10th May 2006
Lives for gear

Click on the Search button - type in Recorderman Overhead and you will get a number of threads that describe this technique that will solve your problem.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search