The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Has anyone ever compared the DSP/virtual mixing software for MOTU/RME/Metric Halo?
Old 8th May 2006
Gear Maniac

Has anyone ever compared the DSP/virtual mixing software for MOTU/RME/Metric Halo?

Never thought about this before, but I haven't seen anything about it, and was just curious:

I just picked up a RME Fireface 800, and used its TotalMix software to do a live mixdown (of four tracks) to two track for a safety copy.

All the comparable hardware comes with some version of the DSP-driven virtual mixing desk: MOTU, Metric Halo, etc.

So, are there quality differences between these? How do they stack up to the standard DAWs? I'd guess the math is pretty basic. But at the same time, they're capable of pretty high track counts (though no real plugings, etc. - don't know what difference that makes).

Thoughts?
Old 8th May 2006
Lives for gear

I can't speak for RME or metrichalo but I do have plenty of experience with the motu's cuemix. It's important to know the differences between the PCI424's cuemix software and the firewire version.

IMO, the PCI424 software mixer is great- Flexible, intuitive and reliable. No complaints. The firewire version however has very limited routing options, and has been quite unreliable in my experience. I built a remote rig based around a motu 896HD/outboard pres/toshiba laptop. Big mistake. I've since upgraded to a RADAR system and wouldn't reccomend the 896HD even to my worst enemies.....

Just my HO.

-Z-
Old 9th May 2006
Gear Maniac

Thanks for the comments.

So far, RME has been rock solid for me (knock on wood...)

I guess my question was more aimed at the difference in the quality of the summing, if it exists.

Thanks again for any thoughts on the matter.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search