The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Burning your final CD ?
Old 8th May 2006
Lives for gear

Burning your final CD ?

I got into a bit of a discussion with a friend over the wekend over quality of final product...ie burning your Masters.

The question is " Is there any difference (audio/quality) wise, burning your final CD with a standalone dedicated CD burner ala Masterlink or Tascam etc as opposed to doing it on your PC with Nero or similar software" ?
Old 8th May 2006
about $450
Old 8th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by everybody's x
about $450

What does that mean ? About $450 better ?
Old 8th May 2006
no I am saying

CD burner + nero $100

HHB Burnit $550

I am not aware of any quality deficiencies in using a stndard PC burner as long as it is error-free, but I am hardly an expert on the subject
Old 8th May 2006
Jai guru deva om

Burning at 1x should net you fewer errors in theory, if you get a Plextor burner with their PlexTools software you can scan for errors etc once you're done.

War
Old 9th May 2006
Lives for gear

I've been burning the final Master on the PC, it sounds fine, I'm just curious if there is a difference with a dedicated unit..?
Old 9th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamsongs
I got into a bit of a discussion with a friend over the wekend over quality of final product...ie burning your Masters.

The question is " Is there any difference (audio/quality) wise, burning your final CD with a standalone dedicated CD burner ala Masterlink or Tascam etc as opposed to doing it on your PC with Nero or similar software" ?
I think the only difference could be that Masterlink allows you to burn "24-bit CDs" that of course can only be played on the Masterlink... otherwise maybe if you send the master 24-bit file straight to the Masterlink the dithering might be done differently in order to create a Red Book "Master" CD.

But I don't think there is a difference really. I could be wrong; I have been many times before.
Old 9th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by warhead
Burning at 1x should net you fewer errors in theory, if you get a Plextor burner with their PlexTools software you can scan for errors etc once you're done.

War
I actually found LESS errors at 4x than at 1x using Tayo Yudens.

I think the biggest advantage with a "standalone" dedicated unit is just that...it's dedicated to the duties of cd burning. Where as you can't do any other work on your daw system while it's burning cd's. Of course, you could take an older system lying around and dedicate it to burning only.....
Old 9th May 2006
Lives for gear

Now I know some of you may not agree.... but... I have found different burners to sound slightly different...... sometimes....

an different blanks can sometimes sound slightly different too....

Old 9th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mixerguy
an different blanks can sometimes sound slightly different too....

yea, for some reason I have found this to be true also... why?

Old 9th May 2006
Lives for gear

We have a yamaha burner at the studio that sounds WAY better than the stock burner in the G5.
I can't remember what the model is , but I remember it has some kind of "CD master" mode of burning.. I also remember reading a review of the unit it TapeOp where the reviewer also noticed a difference.

FWIW

ERic
Old 9th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdjustice
yea, for some reason I have found this to be true also... why?

why.. i don't know but i with out a doubt can notice it with some cds.
when i'm burning regular mixes to a/b and just make sure the mix traslates well i usually use tdk or memorex cd's.. problem is even burning redbook through wavelab 5 or cd architect5 the memorex cds don't play in every cd player and when they do they sound rather lofi or the hiend gets sucked out..like a 96k mp3... the tdk's play perfect. even in old ass stock cdplayers.
when burning my master i usually use Tayo Yudens or Prodisc cd's with Cd architect
Old 9th May 2006
Motown legend

Burning speed for lowest error level depends on the design of the blanks and the burner. Lower burn speeds often improve the signal to noise ratio of the player making CD-Rs more reliable on older audio players. This comes at the expense of higher error rates. There are also reports of newer players being less reliable with slow speed burns.

The whole issue is a can of worms. 8-16X on a Plextor using TY disks seems to work for a lot of us.
Old 9th May 2006
Quote:

A few years ago I spent a week on this. As have others, and there are threads on it here and at other sites.

Each burner, each speed, each brand of disks = different results.

Taiyo Yuden silvers in Plextor burners at medium speeds as Bob said, is a very safe bet.
Old 9th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Olhsson
The whole issue is a can of worms. 8-16X on a Plextor using TY disks seems to work for a lot of us.
Thank you very much for your input, Bob... this is an interesting topic; I see how there could be all kinds of variables involved, so it is good to know what "works" for you.

j.d.
Old 9th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucey
A few years ago I spent a week on this. As have others, and there are threads on it here and at other sites.

Each burner, each speed, each brand of disks = different results.

Taiyo Yuden silvers in Plextor burners at medium speeds as Bob said, is a very safe bet.

So you guys are saying that, if I used TY's at medium speed over let's say a TDK, Sony, Maxell (pick your brand) I would notice a difference in quality in my Masters ?
Old 9th May 2006
Lives for gear

And, where can I get the taiyo yudens ?
Old 9th May 2006
Quote:
So you guys are saying that, if I used TY's at medium speed over let's say a TDK, Sony, Maxell (pick your brand) I would notice a difference in quality in my Masters ?
Like everything, it's a relationship. The elements interact. The best combo seems to be Plextor and TY at 4-8x. I use non-Plex and TY as well, with good results.

The only way to know what's best for your burner is to do some tests.
Old 10th May 2006
Lives for gear

If I use TY's with Nero and error verification at 8x, is that comparable to the Plextor burner ?

Will I then notice a difference or do I have to do the Plextor/TY combo ?
Old 10th May 2006
Quote:
And, where can I get the taiyo yudens ?
I get mine at NRS in Brooklyn, New York, the email is [email protected]

I use the silver Taiyo Yudens for duplicating copies, and for the masters I use HHB white thermals, in an HHB Burnit Plus. (This is coming out of Digital Performer through a MOTU interface.)

I used to notice BIG differences in the copies back in the day when I was duping with Iomega drives, vast differences in one model to the next... but now with a Microboards tower, the copies are identical to the master. I mean, you know.
Old 10th May 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by joelpatterson
I use the silver Taiyo Yudens for duplicating copies, and for the masters I use HHB white thermals, in an HHB Burnit Plus. (This is coming out of Digital Performer through a MOTU interface.)
Is that HHB a 'disk at once' ? And have you tested it?

I ask only because their previous unit to that one, which was more money, was a total sonic disaster.
Old 10th May 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucey
Is that HHB a 'disk at once' ? And have you tested it?

I ask only because their previous unit to that one, which was more money, was a total sonic disaster.
The HHB I've got is the 830, it's a rack-mount unit with a whole variety of digital and analog inputs. It's a fantastic unit, and prior to that I had the 850, which was equally superb.

Now whether they've got a hand in exploiting penguins in the Arctic... I couldn't say.
Old 10th May 2006
Gear Maniac

Yamaha's Master Recording Mode?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainsinvelvet
We have a yamaha burner at the studio that sounds WAY better than the stock burner in the G5.
I can't remember what the model is , but I remember it has some kind of "CD master" mode of burning..

ERic
What Eric is referring to is Yamaha's Advance Audio Master Quality Recording (AAMQR) technology. It's suppose to reduce jitter. Information can be found here:

http://www.yamahamultimedia.com/yec/tech/aam_01.asp

Apparently this has been around a little while, as it looks like it's been on the older models of Yamaha's burners. My question: Has anyone else used this? Care to comment on your experience(s)? In theory I guess it should work, but is this just a gimmick?
Old 10th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysunice
What Eric is referring to is Yamaha's Advance Audio Master Quality Recording (AAMQR) technology. It's suppose to reduce jitter. Information can be found here:

http://www.yamahamultimedia.com/yec/tech/aam_01.asp

Apparently this has been around a little while, as it looks like it's been on the older models of Yamaha's burners. My question: Has anyone else used this? Care to comment on your experience(s)? In theory I guess it should work, but is this just a gimmick?
Yup, that is the one I was refering to

ERic

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search