The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
60th Anniversary Series P-bass Any Good?
Old 8th May 2006
Gear Nut

60th Anniversary Series P-bass Any Good?

Im going to take a chance and order a P-bass online, without trying it.

Have tried many P-basses but cant remember playing on one from the 60th anniversary series.

Do they have the same pickups and electronics as "regular"/stock P-basses?

(Im not really a "bassguy", so this might be a stupid question...)
Old 8th May 2006
Gear Nut

Or should I go for a 60th deluxe P-bass?

Active EQ and added bridge pickup....
Old 8th May 2006

the 50th aniversary was possibly the best p bass I have played (and I've played a few) so I would GUESS the 60th is in the same league.

Although I should ad I think I'm one of the few that doesn't prefer pre cbs precisions.

I should also ad that I'd never order a p bass without hearing it, the variety in p basses is ridiculous

narco
Old 8th May 2006

go passive

general rule

passive = better tone
active = more variation in tone

personally I'd prefer one good tone over a variable not so good tone

narco
Old 8th May 2006
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by narco
the variety in p basses is ridiculous
I thought that when it comes to US-made ones, it was rather the opposite. Thanks for info. Didnt know that.
Old 8th May 2006
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by narco
personally I'd prefer one good tone over a variable not so good tone
Makes sense.
Old 8th May 2006
Lives for gear
If you don't end up replacing the Fender pickup I'm going to be amazed anyway... so buy the one that FEELS the best to you to play.
Old 9th May 2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by popkid
I thought that when it comes to US-made ones, it was rather the opposite. Thanks for info. Didnt know that.

I was mostly meaning between various incarnations. All of the same model from the same year are relatively regular, but I would still play it first.

narco
Old 9th May 2006
Ordering a guitar is a bigger risk than going to Vegas. So many variations. Best bet is to visit some very large retail outfits with a ton of selection, that's the only way to compare and select the best of the bunch.

The only guitar I ever ordered was my Rosewood Telecaster, I lucked out as a buddy also ordered one and the one I got was vastly superior.

Would you buy a car without test driving it first?

Would you buy a house without inspecting it first?

Would you buy pro audio gear without trying it out first?

(Don't answer that!)

Jim Williams
Audio Upgrades
Old 9th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwittman
If you don't end up replacing the Fender pickup I'm going to be amazed anyway... so buy the one that FEELS the best to you to play.
Better to go to a shop with lots of basses and actually try them, than saving whatever you're saving by ordering online.

What makes or breakes an electric guitar or bass is the wood. Period.

If it doesn't sound good without an amp, then there's no amp that'll make it sound good.

You can't tell that online. When it comes to slabs of wood, you're dealing with mother nature, and thus variation.
Old 9th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by popkid

(Im not really a "bassguy"
If this is the case and you want to learn, I would like William said try the one you feel more confortable with.
Old 9th May 2006
Gear Nut

I know you guys are right. I thought I´d take a chance and order online but... No, I shouldnt, and I wont. Guess ill wait for the opportunity to go to a place where they have a good selection of instruments.
Old 7th May 2008
Lives for gear
just bought a 60th anniversary american because we needed a PBass immediately (long boring story). anyone know how these compare to the new P Basses (high mass bridge, graphite neck support rods etc.)? are the new ones intrinsically better or should i just relax?

thanks.
Old 7th May 2008
Lives for gear

Actually...if I remember correctly, the 60th American P had the custom shop's 62ri pickup in it. while I never played the 60th, the 62RI is the best sounding P (or copt) I've played. Given that the 60th adds graphite reenforcement to the neck, string trhough body capability, and a slightly naroower (modern P) neck...I'd venture it should be a great P.
Old 7th May 2008
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by popmann View Post
Actually...if I remember correctly, the 60th American P had the custom shop's 62ri pickup in it. while I never played the 60th, the 62RI is the best sounding P (or copt) I've played. Given that the 60th adds graphite reenforcement to the neck, string trhough body capability, and a slightly naroower (modern P) neck...I'd venture it should be a great P.
didn't know about the graphite reinforced neck but it does have the '62pickup. thanks popmann. thumbsup
Old 7th May 2008
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by popkid View Post
Or should I go for a 60th deluxe P-bass?

Active EQ and added bridge pickup....
I'd suggest passive.
Make sure you get some good flat-wounds for it too - like DRs or Ernie Balls

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search