The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
I know, I know, use the search.
Old 8th May 2006
Lives for gear

I know, I know, use the search.

I am trying to decide on a two channel preamp. Most of my choices so far are in the $1500.00 to $2200.00 range. The one I think I'm leaning towards is the A-Designs mp-2a. But the other choices are Great River mp-2nv or a Phoenix or a Portico maybe. There are alot of choices. My question is: Would you choose a Pacifica over any of these other choices?

My main use for these 2 channels is going to be vocals and the occasional instrument (acoustic or electric).

I know this topic is probably boring the **** out of the regulars on here (of which I'm one) but I don't have expirience with any of these products.

I like the idea of a pre with meters. (VU or digital) I need 2 good channels for my new Rosetta 200. heh
Old 8th May 2006
Lives for gear

use the search.
Old 8th May 2006
Lives for gear

thanks, I appreciate your input.
Old 8th May 2006
Lives for gear

In mac's defense, I have had almost no luck with the search feature on here lately... it keeps bringing up completely off-topic results, anyone else notice that?
Old 8th May 2006
Lives for gear

Of those choices I have experience with the A-Designs MP2. It's nice, a pleasant musical sound, but somewhat smoothed out and not full 3D realism in case that is what you want.

The VU meters on that unit were unusable for tracking to digital recorders, it is calibrated too low and the meters are just pegged all the time anyway. Don't know if the new "A" version changed that.

One other thing -- from what I've seen and in my experience, reselling A-Designs tube preamps is a daunting task. Just a heads up, in case you later decide to reconfigure and want to trade it out. Maybe that will change eventually.

Yes, the search is a pain.

Steve
Old 8th May 2006
Lives for gear

My main question is: Would you choose the Pacifica over any of these more expensive options? (for vocals)

I want a nice "flavorful" pre for general use. Not a specific type of music. It could be used for rock, hip-hop, country, blues, jazz, gospel or anything.

I don't want something that is ultra clean. I'd rather have something with a little dirt or attitude. Something that you could drive hard and get some nice tones out of.

The Pacifica seems to be the darling around here for now. So would I get more out of it than say the Great River or the Portico? I like the idea of toobs. Get'em hot and drive the **** out of 'em.
Old 8th May 2006
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanvacha
In mac's defense, I have had almost no luck with the search feature on here lately... it keeps bringing up completely off-topic results, anyone else notice that?
I hate the search on here. I've resorted to using google to search this site. Much better, it at least allows boolean searching. To do it, go to google and type in:

Quote:
site:gearslutz.com
before your search. It works, until they fix it here.
Old 8th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by macr0w
But the other choices are Great River mp-2nv or a Phoenix or a Portico maybe. There are alot of choices. My question is: Would you choose a Pacifica over any of these other choices?

I hold the Pacifica in about the same regard as the DRS-2.
Both have a hi fi sound, with lots of depth. DRS-2 is a little more 3D, Pacifica stacks a little nicer in the mix. But these are inches, really.

i think altomusic.com has the best price on the Pacifica, $1550.

When it comes to "driving hard for tones", i think the DRS-2 edges the others out in this regard. The output level knob on the DRS-2, plus 70dB of ultra clean gain makes it easier to tune for tones like that.

i beleive lasvegasproaudio.com has a pretty flexible rental program for the Pacifica, and Mercenary has a flexible returns policy for the DRS-2 (maybe see what Front End Audio's return policy on the DRS-2 is as well). So i would try to get my hands on both at the same time if i were you, and A/B them with your own material and keep the one you prefer.
Old 8th May 2006
Lives for gear

It has to be a 2 channel preamp ?

If you don´t need to track keyboards you can get 2 different pre´s ( but I guess you know that )
Old 9th May 2006
Lives for gear

Yeah, I'd like to have a 2 channel for stereo recording or summing and other duties. heh

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search