The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Fostex D2424lv -> mac. What to do??
Old 8th May 2006
Lives for gear

Fostex D2424lv -> mac. What to do??

I am thinking of getting the RME hammerfall LE (2 or 3 adat ports, no analog) for my Mac G4 to transfer tracks via ADAT from and to my Fostex D2424.

My thoughts are if I should get an RME Fireface 400 instead.

The other thought would be to go for a new system and dump the fostex.
I have no issues with the fostex but the only thing I compared it to was my Motu 896 which I sold. couldn't really hear a difference myself. Anyone have any thoughts on the quality of the fostex relative to what is on the market these days???

Another thing while I'm here!
I presume I can record directly into the mac using the fostex as AD but can I monitor using the DA at the same time??? Will it work as stand alone convertors?

Thanks
David
Old 8th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlmorley
Another thing while I'm here!
I presume I can record directly into the mac using the fostex as AD but can I monitor using the DA at the same time??? Will it work as stand alone convertors?

Thanks
David

The analog outs are always active. The monitor source is routed from the inputs so I suppose you could set the input to "D. In" and monitor through the recorder.
Old 8th May 2006
Lives for gear

Do yourself a favour and pick up a 2nd hand Motu 2408(mkII) and you'll be a happy bunny.
I do the exact thing you describe with a Tascam MX2424 and 2408 and it is flawless. I used to do the same thing with a Fostex D160 too, so I know it'll work for you.
Old 8th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Messiah
Do yourself a favour and pick up a 2nd hand Motu 2408(mkII) and you'll be a happy bunny.
I do the exact thing you describe with a Tascam MX2424 and 2408 and it is flawless. I used to do the same thing with a Fostex D160 too, so I know it'll work for you.
Good thinking!
I kind of forgot about the 2408.
I guess even the mk1 will do..

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search