The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Monday May 8 2006 Apple Computers wins against Apple Corps at High Court
Old 8th May 2006
News Desk Editor

Monday May 8 2006 Apple Computers wins against Apple Corps at High Court

Apple Computers has been found not guilty of infringing copyright in its ongoing dispute with Apple Corps over the use of the apple logo.

In London's High Court this morning, Justice Mann ruled that the computer firm cannot be held liable for infringement, but granted an immediate request from Apple Corps for an appeal.

Apple Computers sought an interim damages payment of £1.5m, which was rejected by Mann. Similarly, Apple Corps sought to gain interest payments, which were also rejected by the Judge.

However, Justice Mann noted that there are significant prospects for Apple Corps when the case goes to appeal.
Old 8th May 2006

wow, I was sure it was going to go the other way, since my understanding was that apple computers was trying to argue that the itunes webstore was information based and not music based (probably a bit over simplified)

narco
Old 8th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by narco
wow, I was sure it was going to go the other way, since my understanding was that apple computers was trying to argue that the itunes webstore was information based and not music based (probably a bit over simplified)

narco
The articles that I read about the law suit spun it a little differently. The law suit was really about the distribution of music. Apple Computer was saying they did not distribute music; instead, they distribute information. As part of this settlement Apple Computer is not allowed to distribute music in a physical format (CD, DVD, ect.).

Most of this stems from the original settlement in 1991 that decided the boundaries of each company. As part of that settlement Apple Computer was not allowed to distribute music.
Old 8th May 2006

they must have had some bloody good lawyers to argue that the itunes webstore doesn't distribute music!

narco
Old 8th May 2006
Lives for gear

Yeah, I wonder how much this law suit cost them in attorney’s fees. I am sure somebody’s kids can now attend Harvard. heh
Old 8th May 2006
Lives for gear

God, I hope paul and ringo are ok financially after losing this? Maybe we could start a fund?
Old 8th May 2006
Lives for gear

They'll make up for it when the Beatltes catalog is re-issued and offer for sale on the Itunes Music Store! heh
Old 8th May 2006
Lives for gear

In a related news story, Paul McCartney, Yoko Ono, Ringo Starr and Steve Jobs bought France and Italy.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search