The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
How are the Fender Twin Reverb reissues?
Old 8th July 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
It's misinformation that all 70's Twin Reverbs are crap.
Agreed. They're nice amps. the reissues...? Ehh...not there. Yes, mid to late 60s Twins in great shape ARE better...and there are likely better handwired amps these days than them...but, not for the $600-750 they fetch.

I have a reissue 59 bassman...older one...retubed w/NOS...I sat a stock one next to the Victoria recreation--the Victoria is a better amp. BUT...it was like $2500 and the Bassman should be somewhere around $1200 (I paid a lot less for mine years ago). And the only noticable difference came when you completely opened it up. The Victoria showed it's superiority there. But, I dare you to show me a better amp anywhere near $1k.

I also have a hand-wired VVT Fralin, which goes for more of a Twin/Pro/Deluxe vibe depending on the power tubes used...but I'm not sure I can call it "better" than the Bassman RI. It's sure as HELL better than the Twin/Deluxe RIs, though.

Between the two...and a handful of OD pedals (and attenuator), I'm a happy camper.
Old 16th November 2009
Here for the gear

Silverface doesn't suck

I own a '77 twin, and in my opinion is sounds perfect.
It creates the tonal range I want, whatever that range may be
Has a warm vintage tube sound
Distorts if I want it to but doesn't if I don't.
The Pull knob accentuates the mid range and adds a touch of volume, not distortion.

The only issues with it are controls that stopped working over time (Bass on the Vib channel, Bright on the Normal channel).

I don't see what else you would need an amp to do, the rest (distortion and such) is for effect pedals and the guitar you're using.

Non-Technically speaking what does a blackface do that a silverface doesn't?
Please, enlighten me.

Edit: So this has already been said... my bad.

However, my question still stands. I'm curious as to what you would want more than an amp that shows off the sound of your guitar and effects (if even that) and doesn't sound cold.

Last edited by Noisepunk3; 16th November 2009 at 08:52 AM.. Reason: Satement previously made
Old 22nd April 2010
Lives for gear

I have a 72 SF Twin, one of the first with a master volume, but no pull switch.

I love it, I've had it 7 years now and I use it on everything, I have two pedals I like to use for either a slight boost or flat out distortion, one is a Mesa Boogie V Twin tube pre, and the other is a "Box Of Rock" by Zvex.

For clean sounds, I just plug right in - les paul or tele, it just rules, it's a very warm, very clean amp, but it just sounds beautiful.

Ed
Old 6th March 2014
Here for the gear

i had a 1966 twin that was stolen,back in 1989 , what a great amp, so in 1990 or 1991 i think thats when they came back with the 65 twin re issue, i missed that 66 so much i went and bought a new twin at g.c. thinking they still made them the same, i tried it out in the store, but really could'nt tell how it really sounded because of all the noise in the store, but it's a fender, it's a twin so it must be good, so i took it home, and played it, and right away it didn't sound as good as my 66, kinda sterile, harsh sounding high's, and thats when i found out it had pc board, not hand wired, i didn't like that so i played it for a while to break in the speakers, they are eminence speakers i'm told they are clones of the original jensens they used back then the amp started to sound much better, the sterile sound went away, much more punchier, still harsh on the highs, so i changed out all the tubes, a quad of sovtek 6l6's and nos on all the rest of the tubes, that made all the difference, this amp sounds every bit as good as my 66, in fact it seems more dynamic or more wide open, the highs are smooth no harshness, i thought at first it was the pc board responsible for the bad sound, i've been using this amp for over 20 years now, and have had no problems
Old 3rd June 2016
I saw George Benson in concert a couple years ago and he was playing through the Fender Twin reissue and his sound was amazing. This was before the GB Fender Twin came out. I also saw Lee Ritenour in concert and saw he was using them too and he also sounded amazing.

I had the Fender Red Twin Twin (with the red knobs) for A long time. When they came out with it, Robert Cray advertised about them. It was a Fender Twin with a much improved distortion channel. Better than any other Twin distortion up to that point, plus a nice clean channel. I still have the review where they talked about the problems the post CBS Fender had and how many good techs left. Fender went after the techs who left, offered them more money and gave the freedom to improve the post CBS Fender Twin. This amp was the design.

Many years later I bought a Mesa Boogie Express, I found I like everything about the amp more than my Twin, even the clean channel. How was this possible with the Boogie having EL84's and the Twin 6L6 tubes? I decided I needed to do a test.

I took my Twin amp to the music store and compared it to the new Fender Twin reissue. Within playing 5 notes on both amps there was no comparison, the reissue sounded a lot better. My amp also had groove tubes in it as well so they had the same tubes. The reissue has a fuller, richer, and wonderful chime on the top end. It also has the Jenson speakers in it. After hearing them side by side, I was sorry I did not do this swap years ago. Needless to say I got a good trade in for my amp and I purchased the new reissue and could not be happier. Besides having a great clean channel it takes pedals well. I use the Mesa/Boogie Flux drive pedal which adds sustain and a polite distortion. It gives me the Larry Carlton, and Mick Taylor type of sound.

Interesting enough the music store also had a used Fender Twin version which was my Red Twin but the updated version which had the black knobs and old style grill. This also has with 2 channels with one being a distortion channel. It also has a very similar clean sound as my red Twin and was inferior for clean to the reissue.
Old 3rd June 2016
Lives for gear

There's a simple test to ascertain whether it's a real Fender Twin Reverb for this test you will need a very long guitar lead. Plug a telecaster into the Twin, turn it on, damp the strings and then carefully turn the Twin up full. Making absolutely sure you still have the guitar strings damped leave the room, walk to the next county/state, undamp the strings and give it some real neck. Wait ten minutes after finishing, damp the guitar strings again. return to the room the Twin is in and..... If there's any paint left on the walls of the room, it's not a real Fender Twin.
Old 4th June 2016
There are a lot of great sounding original Fender Twins out there but they don't sound the same as when they were new. Due to the age of the parts/ wear and tear on the speakers they all sound a little different.

I heard the Twin Reverb reissues and love the sound. I think some people may not like it because their style of guitar playing doesn't fit that tone. But in my opinion it's one of the best sounding clean amps with power. I agree that the Messa Boogie Amps with 6L6 tubes in the Mark series also sounds fantastic. They have a little more of a forward tighter sound then the fender. Personally I prefer the more open and relax sound of the Fender

I also agree the fender twin takes pedals really well
Old 4th June 2016
Lives for gear

Weren't the original Mesa Boogies, the first couple of hundred, that the likes of Santana, Keef and Mick Taylor owned..souped up Fender Princetons?
Old 4th June 2016
Is the reissue 65 or 85 watts?
Are both speakers exactly the same?
Old 9th June 2016
It is 85 watts, and both speakers are the same.

The more I play this 65 Reissue Fender Twin, the more I love the tone I am getting out of it. Plus by turning on the tremelo at low intensity it does provide a smoother sound if you want it.
Old 9th June 2016
Here for the gear

I have a Fender Twin Reverb reissue, bought in 2005. Jenssen speakers, stock. Sounds really good. I do have the tubes run a little hotter, taste thing
Old 24th June 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Bucci View Post
It is 85 watts, and both speakers are the same.

The more I play this 65 Reissue Fender Twin, the more I love the tone I am getting out of it. Plus by turning on the tremelo at low intensity it does provide a smoother sound if you want it.
I played one the other day at Sam Ash, sounded very good, and very accurate to the real deal. I grew up in the Sixties with them, Super Reverbs, Bassmans and Showmans so I'm kind of a Blackface person. Yes it was a little on the bright side but nothing tubes and either different speakers or simply breaking in the ones in it wouldn't help. Or just turning down the treble

Very impressive for that big, clean sound (that you don't hear much anymore).
Old 24th June 2016
Lives for gear

I've been using one since 1999.

Still recal auditioning one for a long time at GC along with a Vox AC30... using LP Std, Am Strat & Tele, both amps so clear and full, articulate and overtone-laiden, but the Twin won the day for me.

The Twins take pedals up front SO well! That's one of their big strengths.

In studio, I like to mult my guitar/pedal chains with a Radial JD-7 to the Twin & a Marshal VM, sometimes adding in a Hot Rod Deluxe for some extra low end growl.

Twin gets the R121 about 3" to 6" out (position to taste) to soak up the meat & harmonics, Vintage Modern gets the SM57 for some creamy mid-forward punch, the Hot Rod gets a 421 to capture that sloppy grit & growl.

Rock & Roll!

But, the main thing about the '65 Twin for me is how well it captures the articulations and nuances of my fingers when playing. It's wearing well too. So far, still stock.

Great gear, instant "classic" ha ha.

Old 24th June 2016
Lives for gear

When I go the bug for a blackface a few years ago I researched the hell out of those Fender re-issues and decided enough really advanced players were instead opting for the real vintage deal or for custom builders. I decided to listen to these players and purchase the Allen Encore.

Allen Amplification - Encore Amp

Fantastic sounding amp. He will customize it to your specifications. I opted for the 2x10 cabinet and will never sell mine.
Old 25th June 2016
I bought the 65 Deluxe Reverb which is basically the little brother of the Twin reissue. Love the sound I get, and because its only 22 watts I can crank it to get some distortion without it being as loud. Clean sound is wonderful and it can get a nice oversaturated sound as well.
Old 25th June 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by everybody's x View Post
Hey Adam, do you NEED 100 watts? The twin is overkill for a lot of things, a deluxe reverb is much nicer for recording applications IMHO
I'd say, if it hasn't been mentioned already, that a Deluxe would be pretty small for a Rhodes.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search