The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
How are the Fender Twin Reverb reissues?
Old 21st May 2006
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by stellar
man I just sold a RI '65 and reading this thread has made me sad that I did it. It was a f'ing great amp.
Sorry for your loss - but you should be ashamed of yourself...
Old 21st May 2006
Lives for gear
well, i aint exactly crying over the bassman, though.
Old 22nd May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by analogjeff
Anyone know a really good amp tech who can do some of the things talked about here?? I have an early 90's Blues Deville 2x12 that I played and loved for about 12-13 years -- until about 4 months ago it started seriously losing low end. I did the usual with good new tubes, etc., (it's definitely not a tube issue) and finally a local tech said it needed to be recapped. That helped some, but it's not the same, and I really miss what I loved about it originally. I'm willing to ship somewhere to someone who really knows the Fender mod/restoration thing...

thanks!

Absolutelyunequivocallyawesome:

http://www.kendrick-amplifiers.com/service/
Old 22nd May 2006
Lives for gear

Someone please tell me what it is about those newer Fender Hot Rod series and Blues series that people actually like. I could never get into those things. They sound like 2D versions of a real amp IMO. Sorry to bash it if you like it. But really I'm curious what the appeal is there because it doesn't seem to be an isolated thing. Do people just not have experience playing vintage tweed, blackface, or silverface amps? Or is there something cool about those amps that I am missing?

Brad
Old 22nd May 2006
Lives for gear

slightly off topic, but i just put a Weber 8A125 into my 76 Silverface Champ and it's like playing through a totally different amp. of course, i put a new set of tubes in it (EH 12ax7 and 6V6) as well, so in essence I replaced the original speaker and tubes.......and that thing has really come alive. cleans are cleaner and chimier, it's louder, the natural overdrive is richer (when cranked), and with an OD box in front, the increased harmonics are just lush. it's hard to believe that this is the same amp.

anyway, I can't say enough great things about Ted Weber, his products and his service. pony up the extra cash for a Weber and you'll be glad you did.

i'm going to be respeakering my 4x10 with Webers as soon as the $$ presents itself.

cheers,
wade
Old 8th June 2006
Lives for gear

[QUOTE=Brad McGowan]It's misinformation that all 70's Twin Reverbs are crap. It's the master volume ones that suck in my opinion. If you get an early 70-72 (I think)

definitely. the master volume kills the tone. you can disconnect the master volume pot tho. or run it with the master wide open and control it with the preamp. altec speakers ones are my fave (you could order them with different speakers). huge magnets.
twins are loud!
Old 21st November 2006
Here for the gear

Silverface Twin Reverb 79 135watt

I could not let you yahoo's who know nothing about amps Trash Fender Silverface Twins! I own a 1979 135 watt Silverface Twin Reverb and this amp is by far the cleanest, loudest, warmest amp ever built. The amp works so well with pedals it's absolutly insane and if you want a super clean beautiful crystline sound then this is the amp for you, it simply will not breakup at any volume, it's an amazing engineering feat. I use the amp with a Boss Gt8 Multi Effects for all my pedal sounds etc.. and then connect the output to a vox Tonelab to warm up the Cold...Cold...Cold Gt8, then I send this signal into the SF Twin, OMG! the sound is unreal. I've been playing guitar for 40 yrs, I know tone and this **** about Silverface Amps is just a lot of noise generated by crybabies who could not deal with Fender selling out. Fender CBS could have Gold plated their amps and still these idiots would have said something stupid. "Oh for the good old days" I challenge you to go and play one of these vintage Silverface amps before you blow a bunch of crap out your pie holes. I love My Silverface 135 Watt and I would absolutly replace it right away if it got ripped off. Let me restate one more thing...THE FENDER SILVERFACE 135 WATT AMPS ARE THE CLEANEST GUITAR AMPS EVER MADE...THEY WILL NOT BREAKUP AT ANY VOLUME...AND THEY GO SO LOUD THAT YOUR NEIGHBOR WILL GO INSANE, START FOAMING OUT OF HIS MOUTH, KILL HIS WHOLE FAMILY AND THEN LIGHT HIMSELF ON FIRE. Add a pedal and your music life will be changed forever.

Last edited by Guitarplayer99; 21st November 2006 at 06:21 AM.. Reason: mISTAKE
Old 21st November 2006
Lives for gear

Some of us don't want an amp that's super squeaky clean. Or super loud for that matter.

Brad
Old 22nd November 2006
Here for the gear

Fender 135 watt twin

Ya, I know that, but to trash an amp because it's a Silverface is just stupid, and following the stupid CBS hating amp Gru sucks. How many movies have you seen that you liked and the Critics hated it. These guys that call themselves Professional Critics are normally a bunch of crybabies that didn't get breast feed enough when they were Babies and now they are disfuntional angry assholes that make their living off of telling everyone how bad everything is. If you don't believe me go see a movie that the Critics love....you'll see.... Don't post unless you have ACTUALLY TRIED OUT THE A FEW DIFFERENT SILVERFACE MODELS! I'm sorry if I sound a little bitter but this **** about SF amps has got to stop!
Old 22nd November 2006
Lives for gear

The '65 Twin Re-issue is the only Fender re-issue that I've personally received any sort of enjoyment from... though I haven't heard them all...
Old 22nd November 2006
Gear Maniac

Fender Princeton Reverb

Hi gearslutz fellows!

I know that this is not eBay but I am begin to be desperate to find Princeton Reverb Silverface for my studio. You know, it is impossible to find one from Finland at decent price or at all. I have tried also eBay for long time but with no success. Many of them are not available to ship to Finland or the bids ends at the middle of night etc. etc.

Do any of you guys have Fender Princeton Reverb Silverface lying around your studio or do you know if there are any at your local musicshops? I am ofcource willing to buy all the necessary fees to pack it and ship it to here. Please, help fellow gearslutz to get one.

I am also interested at slightly nonworking version because they can be repaired.

with respect,

aapee
Old 24th November 2006
Gear Addict

Not to derail the siverface/reissue twin reverb bashing, but have you considered a pro reverb? Pretty good for Rhodes/guitar double duty.
Old 24th November 2006
Gear Nut
The 65 reissues are great. I have a Twin and a Deluxe reissue.

The store I bought them from had the originals set up side by side with the reissues so that customers could easily a/b the amps. The differences were minimal, but noticeable.

For the Deluxe I popped in a Tone Tubby alnico 12" speaker and called it a day.

The Twin is simply too much speaker for the cabinet design (that cab is only 2" larger than the Deluxe cab!) either original or reissue. When I cranked my Twin, there were all kinds of rattles, buzzes, etc. After unsuccessfully trying to tighten down the factory cabinet, I had the guys at Tone Tubby make me a separate head cabinet for the Twin chassis, and a 2x12 cabinet with a pair of the 12" alnico hemp speakers. Lost the "combo cool" factor, but the tone is clear as a bell now - no rattles at all.

Just doing the speaker swap made the tone is better than their vintage counterparts. Every gig I play now, someone always compliments me on my tone, plus I've got a sweet cabinet for recording that makes just about any head sound better (Marshall DSL100, Dr.Z Route 66, Mesa Recto Pre w/ VHT 2/90/2 are my other amps right now).

Oh, someone earlier said that the Twin should see an 8 ohm load - a Twin wants a 4 ohm cabinet. Two 8 ohm speakers wired in parallel. The Deluxe wants an 8 ohm cab - a single 8 ohm speaker.
Old 25th November 2006
Gear Head

As far as I'm concerned, my favorite twin is the hard to find one with the JBL orange speakers. The clean sound is so warm, plug your rhodes in and it rocks!

I mean this one :
Old 25th November 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by carival View Post
Not to derail the siverface/reissue twin reverb bashing, but have you considered a pro reverb? Pretty good for Rhodes/guitar double duty.
i ended up buying a blackface spec modded Silverface... several months ago.

retubed with Amperex in one channel and Telefunkens in another... i absolutely love it.
could not be happier.
Old 5th December 2006
Here for the gear

Czech yo-self before you wreck yourself

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitarplayer99 View Post
ITHE FENDER SILVERFACE 135 WATT AMPS ARE THE CLEANEST GUITAR AMPS EVER MADE...THEY WILL NOT BREAKUP AT ANY VOLUME...AND THEY GO SO LOUD THAT YOUR NEIGHBOR WILL GO INSANE, START FOAMING OUT OF HIS MOUTH, KILL HIS WHOLE FAMILY AND THEN LIGHT HIMSELF ON FIRE. Add a pedal and your music life will be changed forever.
The Fender Silverface 135 is a clean amp, to be sure, but it's not anywhere near the cleanest amp of all time.

Sorry Guitarplayer99... The cleanest amp of all time goes to Canada, with the Traynor YBA-3A 'Super Custom Special' - putting out a very conservative 250 watts. Some tests have shown 400 watts at moments (not transients, which can go even higher)

They're rare, but cheap when found. Massive transformers.

True, the designation has it as a bass amp, but Traynor knew that many guitarists were using it and voiced the tone section to handle it (much like the Marshall killer, the YBA-1(A))

I know, my first post here.. A long time lurker, and fender lover - but i love the Traynors even more and had to set a bold faced 'fact' straight.

Cheers,
/A
Old 5th December 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by damien View Post
As far as I'm concerned, my favorite twin is the hard to find one with the JBL orange speakers. The clean sound is so warm, plug your rhodes in and it rocks!

I mean this one :
Hhmmm, I have that one. It's one from 1977 or 1978. I play mainly Strat on it. I have the master volume on 10 and the volume between 2 and 3. I like that to create a more rounder and fuller sound. I must say that I think that the Jensen or so sound better for Strats and Tele's. The JBL's are better for Gibson or the humbucking Tele '72. Somehow I found it to iron or so with the Strat. But, yes great amp with a very own sound...

BTW, I didn't try a Rhodes yet on that one, I will try soon then in the studio of a friend of mine who has a mk1 and a mk2...

Regards,

Roger
Old 5th December 2006
WDG
Gear Head

Roger is that Twin the one with the speakers not exactly side by side but one a little higer then the others? Where the all like that?
Old 5th December 2006
Gear Head

Three pages on Rhodes/ Twin and nobody mentioned the Super Twin?

Massive amp, (6 x 6L6's) but favored by Rhodes and steel players because it'll produce high volumes w/o breaking up, just what you need to keep up with a three beered plank spanker with a black face. Bring casters.

My old black face Twin has survived 30 years of road beatings, a dozen sets of tubes, 6 speakers replacements, 4 ex-wives, and at least a dozen pitchers of beer. It still kicks major booty.
Old 5th December 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDG View Post
Roger is that Twin the one with the speakers not exactly side by side but one a little higer then the others? Where the all like that?
I don't know. I'll check that when I'm at home. Actually never payed attention to that. I'll come back to that...

Regards,

Roger
Old 7th December 2006
Here for the gear

Cleanest amp

Ok Roborbreeder, I concied that maybe I got a little over the top on this topic, however, The silverface twin amps (late Seventies) with the Linear transformer are extreemly clean sounding and must be givin there due respect in the overview of amplfier history.
Old 7th December 2006
Lives for gear

I think that part of the disconnect here is that we may be looking for different things out of our Fender amps. I currently own a '59 Bassman LTD RI and a '65 Twin Custom 15 RI, and they both sound great for what I want them to do. I have owned and heard plenty of BF and tweeds over the years, and on tape, in the middle of a mix, the difference is negligible 90% of the time.

I will say this - the 15 inch JBL clone in my Twin makes a HUGE difference. I think the comment that the Twin has too much speaker for the box is right on. Also, the speakers in ANY combo need to be broken in. Celestion has a recommended process on their website, but conventional wisdom has it that they reach their "true" sound after about 100 hours of playing time.

If you are looking for breakup or ultimate detail, you are better off with a boutique interpretation, IMHO, than modding or going vintage. Amps by Kendrick, Victoria, Louis Electric, Carr, Komet, etc have this stuff down to a science. There are also a ton of DIY kits out there - a few years ago I had a Weber kit built for me and even paying my amp tech to put it together it cost far less than a vintage amp, close to a RI, and sounded far better.

For clean on a budget, I'd get a BF Bandmaster or Bassman for $400 and add trem and reverb later, which is what we do 99% of the time anyways
Old 8th December 2006
Lives for gear

I always underestimate my '66 Bandmaster. It really is a fantastic recording amp that works very well with pedals.

Brad
Old 8th December 2006
Lives for gear

I have a master volume 70's twin and I love it. I use 30watt vintage 30 speakers, Groove tubes 6L6's that are around 5 rating. And I also put some GE NOS preamp tubes in certain sections to drive the preamp.

What I have been doing lately is using only the outer 2 power tubes and the tone I get with a 79 Strat and a 61 reissue SG is LETHAL. I've used many amps but none of them touch this one besides the Fender Super. Now that is also an amazing amp.
Old 8th December 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnwayne View Post
I have a master volume 70's twin and I love it. I use 30watt vintage 30 speakers, Groove tubes 6L6's that are around 5 rating. And I also put some GE NOS preamp tubes in certain sections to drive the preamp.

What I have been doing lately is using only the outer 2 power tubes and the tone I get with a 79 Strat and a 61 reissue SG is LETHAL. I've used many amps but none of them touch this one besides the Fender Super. Now that is also an amazing amp.
What always gets me is that no matter how bad people think an amp is, someone somewhere pulls great tone out of one. From PODs to SF Quad Reverbs - heck, ask Mister Wagener what can be done with a Gibson Lab series!
Old 9th December 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDG View Post
Yes, mine is the same. I guess they where all like that. Mine is still original as far as I know...

Regards,

Roger
Old 8th July 2009
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Ross View Post
And, just to add another opinion to the fray: I had a 1977 silverface Twin Reverb with the master volume, and I kick myself daily for selling it. That amp was ferocious! Yes, it sounded best when you essentially disabled the master volume control (leaving it dimed), and god forbid you tried to use the Pull-For-Distortion feature as anything other than synthetic buzzy/rizzy insect fuzz. But for a loud, clean, testosterone-infusor that bestowed a chest-smacking fatness to every axe played through it, that '77 Twin was beyond reproach. I'd take one again in a heartbeat.
I have a 76 silverface Twin Reverb and wholly agree with the above
Old 8th July 2009
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad McGowan View Post
Someone please tell me what it is about those newer Fender Hot Rod series and Blues series that people actually like. I could never get into those things. They sound like 2D versions of a real amp IMO. Sorry to bash it if you like it. But really I'm curious what the appeal is there because it doesn't seem to be an isolated thing. Do people just not have experience playing vintage tweed, blackface, or silverface amps? Or is there something cool about those amps that I am missing?

Brad
My opinion, the difference is that those models you mention have solid-state rectifiers. They're well-designed, good-sounding amps, but are missing that little bounce.

I feel the best buy is probably a SF Fender of your choice, rather than any reissue that features a printed circuit board-not for tonal reasons but for reliability and ease of servicing. I doubt anyone will find a better deal on a point-to-point handwired amp of any vintage, as there are simply more desirable tube Fenders available than nearly anything else. Someone mentioned Bad Cats, but they're class A and a completely different animal-and you couldn't buy a Bad Cat chassis for the price of a SF Fender. One other note; not all of CBS's changes to the Fender line were for the worse-my '69 was louder and cleaner before the BF mod, though I was happy to trade a little volume for additional sweetness.
Old 8th July 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by dj_who View Post
. get rid of the OEM speakers and put in a pair of 4 ohm 50 watt WEBER 12F150A. (wire them in series to get 8 ohm load) these are clones of the jensen C12N that came stock in the original twin reverbs.
That's not right. A Twin is designed for a 4 ohm speaker load. You want 2 8ohm speakers wired in parallel, which is the stock configuration - unless you're also running an 8 ohm extension cabinet. A Twin will drive 8 ohms OK, but you'll only get 60-65 watts output instead of the full 88.
Old 8th July 2009
Lives for gear

i don't know much about the re issues but, i have a 67 blackface twin reverb that i love and use in my studio all the time.

prolly 80% of any clean, elec guitar part that i use is this amp.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search