The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Overheads: Royer SF12 or Earthworks QTC40
Old 8th May 2006
Lives for gear

Overheads: Royer SF12 or Earthworks QTC40

I'm looking for some new overhead microphones and I'd like to hear from those who are familiar with both mics. I've got the Royer demo CD and the EW CD demo and they both sound great, however, I'd like to hear some real world experience.

Here is the ambient mic setup I have (I'm leaving out the close mic stuff cause it will always change) I'm now just looking for OH suggestions and thoughts.

OH'S: SF12 or QTC40 through Summit/Neve MPE Preamp EQ
Ambient in front of Kit: Royer 121 through Summit MPC Pre/Compressor
Ambient Room: Radio Shack Omnis (Yes I like them) through a Fatso

Thanks
CT
Old 8th May 2006
Lives for gear

When I saw the Stones a few months ago, they had what looked like an SF-12 for overheads on Charlie's kit.

I've gotten some pretty nice overhead sounds from the SF-12 myself.

In fact a drummer I've recorded with it once implored me not to sell it, so I didn't. If you get one, buy the Royer shockmount too. It's a good, solid shockmount.

Sorry, I haven't used the Earthworks.
Old 8th May 2006
Gear Maniac

I have both and use them for OHs depending on the sound wanted. The SF-12 rolls off where the QTCs just keep going and going.

The imaging with the SF-12 is guaranteed and offers much more rejection of the rest of the kit if you're after just getting cymbals.

Having said that, I love the QTCs. Yeah they have a high self noise, so you deal with it.

My go to mic lately for OHs have been 4012s through Avalon M5s. The mics are matched and I had Avalon match 3 M5s for me. The third M5 gets a 4003 out in front of kit.
Old 8th May 2006
DHD
Gear Nut

Hi there CorkyTart,

If you are a studio tracking drums rather than just tracking yourself then I'd go with the SF12 as it makes cymbals sound less harsh. It tames crashes and puts em in their place. Moreover it is a great mic. The trouble is it's fixed so no playing with different miking schemes. All just IMHO of course.

Peace,
DHD

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search