The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Parallel compression on MIX systems
Old 7th May 2006
Lives for gear

Parallel compression on MIX systems

Can you do Parallel processing on a PT mix system running 6.4 without having to deal with time delay headaches?? I got a mix project that is heading to a studio using this setup. Thanks!
Old 7th May 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by superburtm
Can you do Parallel processing on a PT mix system running 6.4 without having to deal with time delay headaches?? I got a mix project that is heading to a studio using this setup. Thanks!
Yes. Send your source to two identical paths, one with the pugins bypassed.
Old 7th May 2006
Lives for gear

So I will indeed be dealing with delay issues when I applying plugs in MIX 6.4 TDM?? God that blows..I think I will go to another studio or mix it on my 002heh
Old 7th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Caffrey
Yes. Send your source to two identical paths, one with the pugins bypassed.

but then my entire source in this case a drum kit will be delayed from the rest of the instruments??
Old 7th May 2006
By a few SAMPLES yes .. not much to sweat about at all thumbsup

Use Time Adjuster plug in to dial in the same delays instead of duplicating the plug ins (saves plug in power)

Regular Mix + headache... no problem.. move along please, nothing to see here...

Last edited by Jules; 7th May 2006 at 11:21 PM..
Old 7th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jules
By a few SAMPLES yes .. not much to sweat about at all thumbsup

Use Time Adjuster plug in to dial in the same delays instead of duplicating the plug ins (saves plug in power)

I hear you on this Jules..and you know this system as well as anyone I'm sure BUT it freaks me out when I knowingly create latencey

So is it impossible to get around this on all TDM mix systems???
Old 7th May 2006
Lives for gear

OK one other important question about this system..if I create 2 AUX's for multiple mics to be summed to an audio track will there be a latency?
Old 7th May 2006
Quote:

So is it impossible to get around this on all TDM mix systems???

Copy the tracks you want to process and shift them back by the amount of latent samples.
Old 7th May 2006
Micro timing issues, you need to send in the little mice with the hard hats and the wrenches to fix it..

Fugget aboud it
Old 8th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
OK one other important question about this system..if I create 2 AUX's for multiple mics to be summed to an audio track will there be a latency?
everything will create an delay

an aux track is causing 6 samples of delay. ( here @ least ) .

the plugin delays will be displayed in the particular channel if you click apple + mouse in the " fader volume screen ".

the answers JULES did give make it sound like its a nobrainer ( well if you work every single day with it, it probably is but ... : )

if you dont know what plugs you gonna use in the end and you have different plugins f.ex on the different drum tracks every channel will be delayed differenetly which can be pain in the ass in fact of that nice sounding phase shifting.

a nice workaround is to throw the time adjuster plugin to every single f.ex drum channel and match the delaytime by the track that causes the biggest delay.
after your done with the setup you can just nudge those tracks back by the same amount and keep the time adjuster plug, or your doing it differently with every single track and remove the ta plugin.

in general those plugins cause delays that arent really " hearable " in the first place. there are some evil ones which create delays > 1s . and some rtas even which " wont " show a delay ( whyever that is ) adding a delay as well.

so if you wanna route f.ex bd,snare,toms to 2 different busses simultaneously and send the overheads and all the room & cymbal stuff to an extra bus etc.
this can really get complicated if youve never done this before.

so this and some other stuff is the big bonus with HD.

but if you have some nervs you can work it out !

good luck
Old 8th May 2006
Lives for gear

What he said ;-)
Old 8th May 2006
Gear Addict

I bought a MIX cubed system last year and sold it shortly after because of the whole latency thing. It sounds easy enough to use delay, move tracks etc. but in reality, I was doing to much "thinking" and not just going with the flow. A mix would take me days instead of hours because of the math involved and not just running on instict. I bought a 002 instead. LE compensates for bussing latency, but not plug ins and most of the plug ins I use have zero latency.
Sorry 'bout the rave. Back to your question- I would go to another studio if you're not used to doing the math as you mix. It sux to have to think as you mix.
Old 8th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
but then my entire source in this case a drum kit will be delayed from the rest of the instruments??
You can try the Bounce To Disk method of parallel compression:

1) Set up the Aux channel, and insert the compressor plugin. Send the drums to the Aux, and get the compressor sounding where you want it.

2) Now move the compressor plugin to the 2-bus, mute everything but the drums, and Bounce To Disk.

3) Import Audio To Track the parallel compressed drum submix. Now, get into the Edit window with the zoom tool, and see if it lines up with the uncompressed drums. If it doesn't, move it so it does.

4) Mix to taste.
Old 8th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prickstein
Sorry 'bout the rave. Back to your question- I would go to another studio if you're not used to doing the math as you mix. It sux to have to think as you mix.
Yeah that's what I'm gonna do.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search