The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
active DI question
Old 7th May 2006
Gear Addict

active DI question

Have a fundamental question about the following. I record in my basement using a snake that feeds my control room two stories up. When tracking a Rhodes or bass direct from the basement through an active direct box, I understand that I do not need to run into a mic preamp.

But it seems that some of you might be going from DI to preamp. Can I do this still or only if the direct box is passive? Interested in getting some color to add to the direct signal by running into an MP-2NV and then to the converters. . .
Old 7th May 2006
Lives for gear

Of course you can run an active DI into a mic preamp - that's what DI boxes are made for.

If you want very clean, transparent tracks, you drive your A/D converter directly with an active box (something a passive DI probably can't do, unless you are using strong sources like keyboards or active guitars).

But if you want the extra color of a preamp, plug it in.
Old 8th May 2006
Lives for gear

I recently learned that going into the HI-Z 1/4" on my API's avoids a transformer, which may or may not be a good thing, depending on the sound you want.

I don't know what other preamps are the same way.

When I want to hit the tranny, I use a direct box.

I'd like to throw another question into this thread, if I may.

Could someone explain the differences between active and passive D.I's as far as sound goes, and when you'd use which one?

Thanks.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search