The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Am I the only one here not using 2Buss EQ or Compression?
Old 7th May 2006
no ssl yet 
Am I the only one here not using 2Buss EQ or Compression?

Guys I read all the MANY threads about 2 bus comp/eq and it really makes me wonder if something is going on that I'm missing. When I first started at GS, I kinda swore by 2buss EQ because most major CDs would have alot more hi end boost than my mixes. OF course there are some EQs better suited for this task (like NTI EQ3 for me). But I found that once I boosted the hi end, I'd have to make adjustments (like removing hi end from the vocals to avoid siblance)

With all the fuss over analog summing, I began to split sounds to bussess. I find it alot easier to just EQ a bus that doesnt have vocals in it when i want to raise the hi end, and I pretty much use the same process for compressors.

So when it all reaches the 2 bus, I really dont need an eq/comp over everything IMO

Am I missing something?
Old 7th May 2006
Lives for gear
no..i never compress the 2 bus for rap. I leave it as is. For rock, I do compress it though. I dont really EQ my 2 bus either.
Old 7th May 2006
Lives for gear

I always have a comp for limiting if nothing more, but NEVER an EQ. That is the mastering engineers job, plus more phase shift is induced to a mix that way. stike
Old 7th May 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim vanBergen
plus more phase shift is induced to a mix that way. stike

And not at the mastering studio?
Old 7th May 2006
Lives for gear

Thrill, I assume you can afford and therefore you have, great parametric EQs that induce little phase shift. Mastering engineers (ok, the good ones, anyway) employ excellent equalizers, use them carefully, and watch phase closely as they make changes. How many of us little guys have a lissajous phase scope on our reference mix? I only have a durrough meter on the combined mono fold and have to bring in a phase scope when I check my mixes.

My point, as I did not even bother to mention it, is stupidly assumed: that one makes a mix based on the input elements, and their equalization. If the 2-buss is missing something or has too much of something, I personally don't try to change it on the buss mix but rather on inputs.

I'd love to hear your wisdom on this subject, Thrillfactor... in all seriousness!!!
Old 7th May 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim vanBergen
Thrill, I assume you can afford and therefore you have, great parametric EQs that induce little phase shift. Mastering engineers (ok, the good ones, anyway) employ excellent equalizers, use them carefully, and watch phase closely as they make changes. How many of us little guys have a lissajous phase scope on our reference mix? I only have a durrough meter on the combined mono fold and have to bring in a phase scope when I check my mixes.

My point, as I did not even bother to mention it, is stupidly assumed: that one makes a mix based on the input elements, and their equalization. If the 2-buss is missing something or has too much of something, I personally don't try to change it on the buss mix but rather on inputs.

I'd love to hear your wisdom on this subject, Thrillfactor... in all seriousness!!!

Hey Jim,

Its rare i that I EQ the mixbuss as well.

If i ever do i feel its a major second guess on my part.

And yeah i was assuming we were talking about excellent EQ's.
Old 7th May 2006
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by no ssl yet
Am I missing something?

only the joy of mixing into a sweet 2 buss compressor.

gregoire
del ubik
Old 7th May 2006
I use a little Craneesong STC-8 love on my mixes..(no EQ) but it is bearly doing any compression - just adding colour (however you want to spell it!)
Old 8th May 2006
Lives for gear

I use a massive passive on the 2 bus SOMETIMES, but usually only when I'm using little or no eq on the individual tracks. This probably introduces LESS phase shift to the mix: one stero eq instead of 30 or 40 seperate eqs!

not opposed to a bit of the 2 buss compression but like you, if i've sub grouped and compressed elements, find it less necessary.

it's a time thing too: if a band doesn't have much time for mixing and things have been tracked well, simple track level setting and panning with the massivo and a quality comp over the 2 buss can put you on third base PDQ.

a bit of tweaking and your sliding into homeplate FAST.
Old 8th May 2006
Lives for gear

There's something about the gelling of the mix by 2-bus compression that I find hard to get any other way...

Greetings,
Dirk
Old 8th May 2006

I often compress and EQ... But, when EQ'ing it's rare to use more than a db or two.
Old 8th May 2006
no ssl yet 
Again, maybe I'm missing something, but I mixed into an SSL comp for a while. I would always end up throwing it on a bus instead of the 2 bus after a while. (I also liked tracking with it)
Old 8th May 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by no ssl yet
Again, maybe I'm missing something, but I mixed into an SSL comp for a while. I would always end up throwing it on a bus instead of the 2 bus after a while. (I also liked tracking with it)

There is a famous saying:

"All roads lead to Rome".

It doesn't matter how you get there...it just matters that you get there.thumbsup
Old 8th May 2006
Lives for gear

You also get a lot of "well the ME's gonna squash it anyway, so I want to get my sound in there and meet him halfway up the volume ladder." Well maybe not in so many words, but you know what I mean.

Personally, I use 2-buss compression because 1. It's a sound people have subconciously grown to known and love, so clients dig it, 2. For me, it really makes mixing easier, and 3. (most importantly) I like how it sounds. Nah forget the first two, that's really the only reason

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search