The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Audio and Design Recording Scamp
Old 7th May 2006
Gear Addict

Audio and Design Recording Scamp

I've just been given an ADR Scamp rack with two S30 expanders, two S31 compressors and two S02 mic pre's. Anyone have any experience with any of these? Are they any good? Manuals?
Thanks in advance, joe.
Old 7th May 2006
member no 666

Yes.

They're OK

The compressor is very much a "compex"... which if you like the sound of the "compex" is a beautiful thing... the expanders are expanders... the mic-pre's a matter of taste.

Shame you didn't land on the 'autopan' module... it's the coolest thing they ever made.
Old 7th May 2006
Lives for gear
yes the scamp stuff was pretty good on the whole and fun to play with.... the mic pres I would leave alone but try them, you never know...

i also never thought the compressor sounded as good as the Compex... i wonder if it uses a cheap IC opamp in the Scamp module, in order to fit.
Old 7th May 2006
Gear Addict

mucking around

I am looking forward to mucking around with them Like you say... you never know!! What about value? Are they worth much?
Old 8th May 2006
Lives for gear

The S31 compressor used opamps and a VCA, while the "original" S01 compressor was an all discrete signal path with a FET used for gain control (which is the same topology as a Compex).

Bri
Old 8th May 2006
Gear Nut

For what it's worth, the compressor in my Scamp sounds simliar to the Compex until you want to beat the bejesus out of something (drums?) and then the differences for me stand out. The compex wins.

I second the comment Fletcher made re the Pan module. There's one in my Scamp rack and it rules once you fiddle with it right.

The pre's aren't useless either (but not amazing.)

My whole rack has an earth issue somewhere so the pre's are hummin' but an easy sort out.

Manuals? I've got them all but if you do a search you should find some pdf's.

Worth? I paid 750nzd for the rack, psu, 2 xpre's, one compressor/limiter, one expander, pan module and a patch bay + manuals, all in mint comdition.

Bargain.

I think that works out to be around $50 USDheh

Tom
Old 8th May 2006
For anyone who's interested I have a scamp rack with the discrete so1 and the groovy pannerthe S23 and that Fletcher mentioned, it also has a flanger,the S24 and a pair of the SO5 Filter gates and a pair of the F300 expander gates. I'm not using it right now and would be interested in selling it if someones interested in buying.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search