The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Central Station, Is This How It Works?
Old 7th May 2006
Gear Nut

Central Station, Is This How It Works?

Im about to purchase a Presonus CS.

I do a lot of my own vocal tracking in the control room and naturally want to switch between monitors and headphones.

When monitors are on, the headphones should be off and the opposite. Nothing new.

So, this is how it seems to be done with the CS:

- Set the "cue" sections volume to "0".

- When tracking, press "mute" on "speaker select" and push headphones volume button so it´s set to "main".

- When listening, I push headphones volume button so its set to "cue" (which is set to zero), and "speaker select" to whatever pair of monitors I want to listen to.

Is this correct or am I just a bit too hung over...?
Want to be sure of how it works before i buy the thing.
Old 7th May 2006
Gear Addict

Actually, the CUE and MAIN for the headphones are there so that when tracking, the person with headphones on can listen to the main mix (more than likely what the tracking engineer wishes to hear) or the cue mix (what the singer, guitarist, etc. wants to hear in their headphones while tracking).

So, when you're tracking, yes, keep your main monitors muted, but from there, it's a matter of taste on whether you use the CUE or MAIN mixes for your headphones.

Hope that helps...
Old 7th May 2006
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levi
So, when you're tracking, yes, keep your main monitors muted, but from there, it's a matter of taste on whether you use the CUE or MAIN mixes for your headphones
Ok, thanks. But if I dont want to hear any "leakage" from the headphones while listening to the main monitors, I have to either turn down the volume on the "headphones" section every time i switch, or do as I stated above?

Thanks again.
Old 7th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by popkid
But if I dont want to hear any "leakage" from the headphones while listening to the main monitors, I have to either turn down the volume on the "headphones" section every time i switch, or do as I stated above?
That's one way. You can also just select an unconnected source as active in the CUE section. So you don't actually have to set the Cue level to 0.

Or else buy some AKG K271 headphones, that have an automatic switch in the headband that cuts their signal when removed. Nice feature IMO.

Steve
Old 7th May 2006
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by squeegybug
That's one way. You can also just select an unconnected source as active in the CUE section. So you don't actually have to set the Cue level to 0.
It just a pity that there are no controls for the headphones on the remote. If I get the CS i have to reach for the rack every time I swith back and forth from tracking/listening. And press TWO buttons...

Guess I´m a lazy bastard.
Old 7th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:

Or else buy some AKG K271 headphones, that have an automatic switch in the headband that cuts their signal when removed. Nice feature IMO.

Steve
yeah, just wait til it breaks!
Old 8th May 2006
Gear Nut

Quote:
Or else buy some AKG K271 headphones, that have an automatic switch in the headband that cuts their signal when removed. Nice feature IMO.Steve
Uhm... Should I sell my HD600? Uhm...?
Old 8th May 2006
Lives for gear

It has nothing to do with your initial post but one thing I would like about the CS is that the mono button worked on headphones.
Old 8th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by popkid
Uhm... Should I sell my HD600? Uhm...?
Sure.

Steve
Old 8th May 2006
Gear Nut

All your qestions are pretty much answered, but I will just add that I own one to use with my dangerous 2 buss and am a very happy camper.thumbsup
Old 8th May 2006
Gear Addict

Your HD600s are open headphones, and thus leak sound (you can hear them pretty well if you are standing next to the person wearing them), so they are not ideally suited to tracking anyway, particularly vocals. If you track with HD600s you will get lots of bleed in your vocal recordings. I'd recommend a pair of closed cans for tracking, and keep your HD600s for listening. Just my 2 cents.
Old 8th May 2006
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by StefanColson
Your HD600s are open headphones, and thus leak sound (you can hear them pretty well if you are standing next to the person wearing them), so they are not ideally suited to tracking anyway, particularly vocals. If you track with HD600s you will get lots of bleed in your vocal recordings. I'd recommend a pair of closed cans for tracking, and keep your HD600s for listening. Just my 2 cents.
Your 2 cents are the same as my 2 cents. I dont use the HD600´s for tracking.

But the AKG´s sounds interesting with the on/off feature. Ill check those.

Thanks all.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search