The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Tuchel connector question
Old 7th May 2006
Here for the gear

Tuchel connector question

Hi,
Sorry if this is a dumb question:
A couple of weeks ago I purchased an old Beyerdynamic M69N on Ebay. This version has a Tuchel connector and the mic came with a Tuchel to XLR cable and works fine. However the cable was already attached to the mic when I received it and it seems to be a fixed connection. At least my careful attempts to remove the cable weren't succesful. Since I'd at least like to have the option to replace the cable and storing the mic with the cable attached is a bit of a pain, I'd still like to be able to disconnect it.
Anybody dealt with this before or has a clever idea? Thanks!

Niko
Old 7th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niko
Hi,
Sorry if this is a dumb question:
A couple of weeks ago I purchased an old Beyerdynamic M69N on Ebay. This version has a Tuchel connector and the mic came with a Tuchel to XLR cable and works fine. However the cable was already attached to the mic when I received it and it seems to be a fixed connection. At least my careful attempts to remove the cable weren't succesful. Since I'd at least like to have the option to replace the cable and storing the mic with the cable attached is a bit of a pain, I'd still like to be able to disconnect it.
Anybody dealt with this before or has a clever idea? Thanks!

Niko
If you're not familiar with Tuchel connectors, you may not realize that you need to unscrew the outer retaining ring before you can pull the connecter out of its socket on the mic.
Old 7th May 2006
Here for the gear

Thanks for answering!
I just gave it another try before reading your answer and it worked heh
Turns out I was just too stupid, so problem solved.
Old 7th May 2006
Gear Addict

Yeah, be VERY careful with those connectors, as they're becomming impossible to replace... and IF you do find them, they're upwards of $500-$700 each!!! Had to look for some for some old EMT 140 plates and the experience wasn't fun AT ALL!!!
Old 7th May 2006
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levi
Yeah, be VERY careful with those connectors, as they're becomming impossible to replace... and IF you do find them, they're upwards of $500-$700 each!!! Had to look for some for some old EMT 140 plates and the experience wasn't fun AT ALL!!!
Are you kidding?

They're a standard German connector that is still stocked by most large components suppliers.

The Amphenol part number is T3261-001

A quick look in Google shows that Mouser supplies them for about US$9 each.

http://www.mouser.com/catalog/625/965.pdf

Cheers

Chris
Old 7th May 2006
Gear Addict

I must have mistaken the connector... what I needed was the same Tuchel connector that was used in the Neuman 49 mics... I checked all over the US and Europe and the lowest price I got was $500.
Old 4th January 2008
Here for the gear

Tuchel to XLR wiring

Hi. Just wondering if anybody could help me in converting 6 pin Tuchel connections to XLR?
Old 11th August 2011
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally posted by Linear: The Amphenol part number is T3261-001
Linear, thanks for the link! Although I'm quite certain the part number is: T 3401 001 for the 6 pin din. The number you quoted is for a 3 pin model. Now to find a cheap supplier here in Australia (one place wanted AU$25 ea!)

While I'm here I'll bump angusc's question - I need help converting 6 pin tuchel to XLR too
Old 11th August 2011
Here for the gear

$1 ebay connector - possible match?

Does anyone know if this part will fit?
ebay number: 140587224373

I know it doesn't have a thread to lock it on, but for $1 ea vs $22 ea I'm happy to gaffa it on!
Diameter is 13mm and pin arrangement looks same, so may well fit.
I've just ordered one (from China) so will let you know in a week or two how I get on. I'll be happy to get out of this for $3 rather than $66...
Old 11th August 2011
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftythedrummer View Post
Does anyone know if this part will fit?
ebay number: 140587224373

I know it doesn't have a thread to lock it on, but for $1 ea vs $22 ea I'm happy to gaffa it on!
Diameter is 13mm and pin arrangement looks same, so may well fit.
I've just ordered one (from China) so will let you know in a week or two how I get on. I'll be happy to get out of this for $3 rather than $66...
I wouldn't use it - it's a standard DIN without the lock and, even gaffer taped it could move and crackle.

Posted via the Gearslutz iPhone app
Old 30th August 2011
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Willett View Post
I wouldn't use it - it's a standard DIN without the lock and, even gaffer taped it could move and crackle.

Posted via the Gearslutz iPhone app
Connector arrived today - it fits tight like a glove

John - I hear you about it moving and crackling, but I reckon it'll gaffa-up solid: it's already firm without it. It shouldn't move at all in my studio on a stand.

I managed to purchase 2 real tuchels from CPC Productions here in Queensland, Australia. http://www.cpcproductions.com/
so I'll only need the $1 plug when I need all 3 mic's on the same run
Old 7th September 2011
Here for the gear

Beyer M69 6-pin tuchel pinout

Quote:
Originally Posted by angusc View Post
Hi. Just wondering if anybody could help me in converting 6 pin Tuchel connections to XLR?
Allow me to bump this one! I've exhausted the Google machine and I still NEED AN ANSWER!!!

Why on earth does ANY dynamic mic require 6 pins???

Will I break my m69 if i hook it up pin-by-pin to an oscilloscope to ID the pins?
Old 7th September 2011
Lives for gear

Are you sure the connector on the mic has six pins ??
I know there were Beyers with 5-pin screw-on Tuchels.

I assume that the adapter cable you have now is just a 2 wire+screen cable.
Then it must be easy to find out how to connect the cable connector.

Just get the original screw-on Tuchel.
I think it is the Amphenol T3361.001 (Tuchel has become Amphenol years ago...)
That connector has 5 pins under 240 degrees of the circle.
If you need these: I could get then here in the Netherlands.
Try to make a photograph of the microphone connector so that we are sure we get the right one !

Last edited by SP2016; 7th September 2011 at 07:46 AM.. Reason: typing error...
Old 8th September 2011
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by SP2016 View Post
Are you sure the connector on the mic has six pins ??
I know there were Beyers with 5-pin screw-on Tuchels.
Picture here: (I couldn't get it to embed from Flickr, sorry)
Photo0558 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

This is a Beyer M69N with a 6 pin Tuchel. I've spent hours counting and re-counting the pins to make sure...

Quote:
I assume that the adapter cable you have now is just a 2 wire+screen cable.
Then it must be easy to find out how to connect the cable connector.
Well, I could mess around with sticking wires on random pins hoping to strike the right combination, but from experience this sort of messing around is a little scary I'd rather someone either tell me the pin-out so I can avoid the costly repair bill.

Quote:
Just get the original screw-on Tuchel.
I think it is the Amphenol T3361.001 (Tuchel has become Amphenol years ago...)
That connector has 5 pins under 240 degrees of the circle.
If you need these: I could get then here in the Netherlands.
Try to make a photograph of the microphone connector so that we are sure we get the right one !
A very generous offer, thanks, but I've already managed to procure two of the correct 6 pin connectors. I just need to know the pin-out now. I have 3 of these mic's - the one pictured above actually has a damaged thread on the Tuchel, so a 6-pin DIN (which is a very firm fit - for $1) was not a bad choice, since a genuine Tuchel ($15 - used) wouldn't screw on anyway.
Connectors:
Photo0559 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
Old 8th September 2011
Here for the gear

...and here's the solution!

OK, relax people - I've got it... on the last page of this PDF:
http://www.coutant.org/beyerpdf/m69n.pdf

Here it is again for anyone else in future (in case the link dies): m69n.pdf
Tuchel connector question-beyer-m69n-wiring-diagram.jpg

Looking at M 69 N (6) in the bottom right it would appear that:
1= Hot
3= Earth
5= Cold
2,4,6 are purely there to confuse.
Old 8th September 2011
Lives for gear

Attaboy ! Well done !
Old 3rd May 2012
Here for the gear

LUMBERG - KV30 - SOCKET, DIN, STRAIGHT, 3WAY

KV30 - LUMBERG - SOCKET, DIN, STRAIGHT, 3WAY | Farnell België

Lionel, Brussels
Old 6th February 2014
I just got a U87 with a 7pin, where do I get that cable? Do I need a Tube PSU for that or will it run on 48v Phantom?
Old 6th February 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitargodmiles View Post
I just got a U87 with a 7pin, where do I get that cable? Do I need a Tube PSU for that or will it run on 48v Phantom?
Last I checked, Neumann were still suppling the cables. And, yes, all U87s run on P48 (or battery in the case of the original model...), regardless of the connector installed.
Old 6th February 2014
Thank you so much for the info. Kind of disappointed there wasn't some lost u87 tube powered mic I stumbled across but am also happy I just need a cable. Just curious why 7 pin? Is that because the u87 is the solid-state version of the U67? Or was this some kind of "universal" plug that could be used in Europe and the USA ect..? Also if it has a battery, how long do these batteries usually last for? How much does Neumann charge for one of these 7pin to xlr cables?
Old 6th February 2014
Has anyone bought from this site before? I want to make sure its legit before I sign my info over

Mic Cables : Neumann U87 Microphone Cable for Early 70`s 7pin Version
Old 4th July 2014
Gear Nut
Quote:
Originally Posted by guitargodmiles View Post
Has anyone bought from this site before? I want to make sure its legit before I sign my info over
Doesn't look good to me considering it's closed down within six months of your question!

Jokes aside...I just picked up a pair of Beyer M100 mics from the BBC today and they are fitted with 3-pin tuchel connectors, Can I just use a multimeter to measure the voltage coming from each pin to determine the tuchel pinout?

I'm a complete novice when it comes to understanding the theory behind electronics but I have a multimeter and a desire to learn. heh
Old 4th July 2014
Gear Maniac

tuchel connector

Sorry to resurrect such an old post but can I ask;

If I wire an XLR to 5 pin Tuchel cable myself and make a mistake can it damage my equipment? I'm assuming the Beyer mic wiring diagram posted above will work but I'm worried that if it doesn't I'll blow something.

Thanks in advance for any help.
Old 4th July 2014
Gear Nut
Hi Patrick,

As I said in my previous post, I am a novice with this stuff but I think the only time you could risk damaging your gear through mis-wired cables would be if phantom power (or any other kind of power for that matter) was involved.

Assuming the mic is a passive mic (such as a dynamic or ribbon) and phantom power is off, You shouldn't have any issues other than possibly sending the ground line into your audio and introducing hum and other horrible noises to the audible signal....But nothing that will cause actual lasting harm.

I have no idea how the 5 pins are implemented (2x lo-z, 1x hi-z & 2x ground wires possibly? Maybe some "blank" pins?) but I think worst case scenario would be no sound except for ground noise if the pins were wired completely wrong.

I'd definitely recommend getting a 2nd opinion on all of that info though, I'd hate to be responsible for you damaging any of your equipment.

I'd also really like it if someone could confirm if I'm on the right track or not
Old 4th July 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickcrisp View Post
Sorry to resurrect such an old post but can I ask;

If I wire an XLR to 5 pin Tuchel cable myself and make a mistake can it damage my equipment? I'm assuming the Beyer mic wiring diagram posted above will work but I'm worried that if it doesn't I'll blow something.

Thanks in advance for any help.
What microphone are we talking about ?
Are you sure it is a 5 pin connector ?
Photograph would help to determine what Tuchel connector you have on the microphone now.
That is because there are different types of Tuchel connectors, also in the three pin version.
Old 4th July 2014
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Algorhythmic View Post
...I just picked up a pair of Beyer M100 mics from the BBC today and they are fitted with 3-pin tuchel connectors, Can I just use a multimeter to measure the voltage coming from each pin to determine the tuchel pinout?
The mic. standard for these Tuchel DIN connectors is:-

Pin 1 = +ve
Pin 2 (the middle one) = screen
Pin 3 = -ve
Old 4th July 2014
Gear Maniac

Quote:

Pin 1 = +ve
Pin 3 = -ve
Thanks for your replies.

The piece of gear in question is not a mic but an old Stellavox AMI48 mixer with 5 pin (definitely 5 pin) tuchel mic inputs. It's been mentioned on here before in the 'portable recording' section, 'recording to 2 track' I think. I'll be using it with various mics all of which are modern XLR mics except for a few B&O BM6s and BM5s and one Sennheiser MD421 which have tuchels connections.

I'll try post a photo of the inputs in a while.
Old 4th July 2014
Gear Maniac

Here's a photo of the Stellavox inputs;
Old 4th July 2014
Gear Nut
Quote:

Pin 1 = +ve
Pin 3 = -ve
Thanks you very much, Kind sir.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search