The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
the "Money for Nothing" guitar sound? "a happy accident" (SOS excerpt) Effects Pedals, Units & Accessories
Old 8th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Mark is credited for the guitar playing, and it sounds exactly like Money For Nothing. Maybe they lifted the tracks, I don't know.
As I understand it Mark would only let Al do the tune if he was able to play guitar on it.

-Duardo
Old 9th May 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Ross
Because the tone & the riff are inextricably linked; I agree that the tone/riff combination is all the things that you say (above).

But if you separate the tone -- i.e., the "spectral profile" -- from the part he's playing (is that even possible?) I contend it's far less unique.

Be interesting to isolate single-note instances culled from the "Money For Nothing" guitar intro, throw them up on a spectrum analyzer or TEF display, and see how different they really are from single note instances culled from, oh, say, the guitar intro to "Tumblin' Dice". Completely out of context, with no cues regarding musical phrasing or idiomatic playing technique, just isolated swatches of harmonic distribution...are they that different?

I know exactly what you are getting at... but I still disagree..

heh

I really thing it is a very distinctive tone.

Some of it has to do with his finger style, some with the part that he is playing for sure but his hands with that guitar, with that amp and peddle combination, with that mic placement is very very unique. I have heard things like it before but I have never heard that before and there are few things that I can say this about.
Old 9th May 2006
Lives for gear

Sultans of Swing is cool and I do like the guitar playing in that. However (and I'm not back peadling) the other things I have heard from him have been boring (my opinion) Maybe its the guys lazy ass voice (my opinion) that clouds the gtr playing....... Give me a song that I should check out and I'll listen to it and perhaps change my mind. If I do, I'll let you know.
Old 9th May 2006
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorkyTart
Give me a song that I should check out and I'll listen to it and perhaps change my mind. If I do, I'll let you know.
In the Gallery - 1st Album
Once upon a time in the west - Communique
Telegraph Road - Love over gold
Why Aye Man - The Ragpickers Dream

Check em out...

R
Old 9th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorkyTart
Sultans of Swing is cool and I do like the guitar playing in that. However (and I'm not back peadling) the other things I have heard from him have been boring (my opinion) Maybe its the guys lazy ass voice (my opinion) that clouds the gtr playing....... Give me a song that I should check out and I'll listen to it and perhaps change my mind. If I do, I'll let you know.
What exactly were the songs you have heard from him that are boring and have the same guitar "licks" throughout? Just curious.....
Old 9th May 2006
Lives for gear
by the way one thing Neil said in that article isn;t strictly correct:

AIR Montserrat didn't have an 8078... it had a custom AIR Neve. WHich was fairly like an 8078, but it was a 56 in fram (with 48 channels in Montserrat), remote mic pres (IC based, not discrete), and the EQ points on the equaliser modules were different from the 8078. Frequencies picked by Emerick and others on the AIR staff.

GREAT sounding desks, all three.

I believe the Montserrat one is now at Henson/fromerly A&M, the Studio 2 desk is at Warehouse in Vancouver, and the very different split design Studio 1 desk from Oxford Circus is still at AIR in Lyndurst Hall.
Old 10th May 2006
Okay, it's just me. I'm a harsh critic.
Old 5th August 2007
Gear Maniac

it's not just you.
Old 6th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwittman View Post
It's just you... they had the I Want My MTV idea weeks if not months before they asked Sting, who happened to be on the island, to do it.

the DESK.
And the melody is "Don't Stand So Close To Me". Not a coincidence.
Old 6th August 2007
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by not_so_new View Post
That was the first thing I thought of when I read that.....

The 2dn thing was Ed V. plays pretty much the same thing in every song but I love him as well.
Damn! Ed is the first thing I thought of when playing the same thing was mentioned.
Old 6th August 2007
Gear Maniac

...with the Sony 24-track digital recorder, during which time there was a mini-nightmare when a sax part that Michael Brecker recorded for one of the album's other tracks disappeared immediately thereafter.

You know, it's amazing that track sounds as good as it does with that unit.
Old 6th August 2007
TYY
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by eligit View Post
take clean fender amp w/ a touch of ambience...strat type guitar w/ single coil neck pup...then get knopfler to play it for ya (no pick allowed)...hehe.
I believe sultans of swing is a brownface vibrolux. I have one myself. Nice amplifier.
Old 8th September 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by joelpatterson View Post
Is it just me... or does that first guitar riff, after the woozy synth intro... sound sloppy? Like they used the take BEFORE the good take?

And Sting singing along... he's grasping at straws... it's like no one could figure out a worthwhile line to sing.

Malcontent Day, here.

Didn't Sting get 50% royalties for singing backup on that song? Might be utter nonsense, but have heard the rumour a couple times.
Old 9th September 2008
Gear Maniac

The MFN riff is a staple riff for me when selling guitars to the 40+ plus crowds at work.

It pretty much works every time....

Although some cats are a bit more about black dog or hotel california
Old 9th September 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by CorkyTart View Post
News on Communique - one of the best DS songs for me.

Title track on ragpickers dream.

Tunnel of love on Making movies.

Title track on sailing to Philadelphia.

But then I love knopflers voice as well - and the post DS material is much better in a not-over-produced type way.
Old 9th September 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by travisbrown View Post
Didn't Sting get 50% royalties for singing backup on that song? Might be utter nonsense, but have heard the rumour a couple times.
Do you really believe this considering that most people had no idea it was Sting singing for years?
Old 9th September 2008
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by travisbrown View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbbubba View Post
Do you really believe this considering that most people had no idea it was Sting singing for years?
I'm not sure how you got the impression that nobody knew this. Sting was the most recognizable singer of the time. The vocal hook for Money for Nothing ("I want my MTV") was taken right off Don't Stand so Close to Me. Sting also appeared in the music video, and sang it with Dire Straits at Live Aid. Of course, if you were a teenybopper of the MTV generation, you'd have all this commited to memory. :-)

This was right as Sting was promoting his first solo album. He didn't have any new Police projects on which to piggyback the marketing, and it was a good way to get both acts some airplay on MTV. So, there were obvious commercial synergies, the stars were aligned, elves danced by moonlight, and there was a big marketing campaign. And yes, Sting still owns half of the writer's share of the song - off the one line. (Title Code:430363921 in the ASCAP database)
Old 9th September 2008
Gear Maniac

Mark is relatively well known for not being into extremely complex guitar rig set-ups. Maybe its him downplaying things after the fact, but I've read several interviews where he said that for all the talk about his 'distinctive tone,' most of the time it was(/is) simply a good guitar plugged into a very nice and well maintained amp.

He used a clean boost pedal long before it was fashionable and his habit of finger-picking and using a volume pedal to swell his riffs during solo's accounted for the majority of his uniqueness. Add to that his sense of melody and taste and the result is both distinctive and beautiful. He is pure class.

Although he has many great solo's, musical projects (film scores, etc), and lyrics marking the greatness of his contribution to modern music...if you are not convinced of his talents then:

Checkout the track: 'Speedway to Nazareth' from the album 'Sailing to Philadelphia'. I know everyone has a favorite something...but I can't help but marvel at the solo/arrangement which concludes this song. It is simply great. Enjoy.
Old 14th August 2009
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorkyTart View Post
This guy plays the same gtr lick in every song. I think he is one of those guys that you're 'supposed' to like even though he really doesnt do anything.
I can't really disagree ... That's a feeling you can get if you listen to all those Dire straits records one after the other ...
But one could say that about nearly every guitar player in this world.
In fact, i always thought MK was definitely more a songwriter than a guitar player, and a GREAT one.
I love his movies stuff in particular.
Old 14th August 2009
Lives for gear

that guy had a unique style for a rock player. Kinda like chickin' pickin' but without the southern fried chicken part of it?
I like sultans of swing too. He could sing his voice was mellow but original.
Old 14th August 2009
Lives for gear

Rant warning:

Sometimes, I'm simply overwhelmed by the epic level of ignorance and/or lack of ability to recognize true artistry that is often displayed here on GS. People who have done nothing musically noteworthy themelves, for reasons I can't understand, set themselves up as judge and jury of artists who have forgotten more than those judging them will likely ever know. It's finally gotten to me to the point I am going to vent a little.

It's not a drag for the artists.......they'll never know it happened and likely wouldn't care, even if they did know. It's a drag for those people who either cannot, or will not, open themselves up to understand and appreciate gifting and talent that is beyond their self-imposed and myopic viewpoint.

If you can't understand why both the guitar tone and attitude on "Money for Niothing" is something special, I urge you to take a deep breath, clear the pipes and have another go at it from a fresh perspective. It will do you good.

This is not just about musical taste. It's about recognizing creativity when you see, hear, or feel it. I keep seeing a mental picture of Emperor Joseph II giving Mozart musical tips and pointers in the film, Amadeus. If you haven't seen it, I urge you to have a look. The Emperor is a great example of someone none of us wants to be like.

Thanks for letting me get that off my chest.
Old 15th August 2009
Gear Maniac

Going back to the thread, i would confess that i really like his sound on this number and on all the album too.
I can remember the advertisings in the streets in France announcing the release of Brothers in Arms (i was 14 or 15 then) and it was definitely a big one.
The Alchemy album was one of my favorite album and we had all of their records at home.
And i remember the day i first saw the music video of MFN ... it was something really new and exciting.
Old 15th August 2009
Gear Maniac

MFN guitar part is a great distinctive sound and Brothers In Arms does have some amazing sounds on it, the title track alone is outstanding.

Knopfler's guitar playing is superb, I've seen him live a number of times over the years and he has been spot on every time. Just listen to 'Sultans Of Swing' from Alchemy.
Old 15th August 2009
Lives for gear

I guess all of the guys that everyone DOES agree are good guitar players are mistaken about Mark Knoplers playing.
All of those guys consider him to be a great player.

Relax BRIAN T... everyone can't be equally adept at recognizing what is special about a player's abilities or things like the unique aspect of MFN.
If everyone had that ability it'd just be the norm!

You know.. way back when this post was first alive I said that at the time it was widely known that Sting sang the I Want My MTV Part.
I have sat on commenting on that all this time.

First... where does Sting appear in the original video?
If he's in it I never knew it.

Second... I was in the middle of learning damn near EVERY hit song that came out at that time because I was the GTR player in a popular cover band.
I was pretty hip to what was who was when and I don't recall anyone in my circles discussing the fact that it was Sting singing that part.
Old 15th August 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by electropoet View Post
if you are not convinced of his talents then:

Checkout the track: 'Speedway to Nazareth' from the album 'Sailing to Philadelphia'. I know everyone has a favorite something...but I can't help but marvel at the solo/arrangement which concludes this song. It is simply great. Enjoy.
I completely agree.. one of the many hidden gems amongst his recordings.
The intro of the song is also just fantastic... the build.. all of it..
Old 16th August 2009
Gear Maniac

While everything is subjective, I believe one would have very little music sensibility to not recognize that knopfler is responsible for two of the most unique guitar tones and styles of our time. There are MANY great players, very few are capable of making their instrument speak in ways that have not been herd before. MK has acomplished this. And his songwriting is over the top!

Rob
Old 16th August 2009
Lives for gear
Mark Knopfler is one of the best guitar players in our time. But sadly he not in to the "rock and roll thing" anymore. But his masterpiece the concert from the love over gold tour "alchemy" will be released on DVD and BlueRay with 5.1 sound in spring 2010. Chuck Ainlay is doing the production. (I hope don't mess up the bass sound as he often to with Marks work, I should have preferred Dorfsman for this)
Old 16th August 2009
Lives for gear

He had a similar distinct tone on Industrial Disease- that one's gotta be through a half cocked wah pedal! Great lyrics too. I do love a bit of humour in the words (being a Joe Walsh fan and all).

I feel that the one lacking thing in a lot of Straits recordings was that they sounded a little clinical and thin. Nonetheless, they often still had loads of atmosphere (like Private Investigations- great song- version on the On The Night concert is awesome).

I guess that's an 80's thing to a degree and the early flaws of the "digital revolution"tm.

I agree that his voice lets things down a little- it fits the music but sometimes I listen to Alchemy and think that he's singing the same note all the way through! That said, it'll be nice to have Alchemy on DVD. Some stuff on that album is sublime- Tunnel of Love and Once Upon a Time in the West particularly.
Old 16th August 2009
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by the donal View Post
He had a similar distinct tone on Industrial Disease- that one's gotta be through a half cocked wah pedal! Great lyrics too. I do love a bit of humour in the words (being a Joe Walsh fan and all).

I feel that the one lacking thing in a lot of Straits recordings was that they sounded a little clinical and thin. Nonetheless, they often still had loads of atmosphere (like Private Investigations- great song- version on the On The Night concert is awesome).

I guess that's an 80's thing to a degree and the early flaws of the "digital revolution"tm.

I agree that his voice lets things down a little- it fits the music but sometimes I listen to Alchemy and think that he's singing the same note all the way through! That said, it'll be nice to have Alchemy on DVD. Some stuff on that album is sublime- Tunnel of Love and Once Upon a Time in the West particularly.

Anyone who's not convinced of MK guitar talent should listen the second part of "Telegraph Road" and the last 2 minutes of "It never rains" from LOVE OVER GOLD.
And what abut Alan Clark amazing piano and synth parts all along this record ...
Old 16th August 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rezman View Post
In the Gallery - 1st Album
Once upon a time in the west - Communique
Telegraph Road - Love over gold
Why Aye Man - The Ragpickers Dream

Check em out...

R
"Telegraph Road" is absolutely brilliant. From the solo piano pass in the middle to Mark's string-mute work in the outro, I wish I could bottle that song and feed it to my baby. There's a lot of very cool D-minor vs. D-major play going on as well. It would drive my 7th grade music theory teacher nuts, but it's so damn musical. And if you want more of that kind of stuff, listen to the chorus progression in "Junkie Doll" off the Sailing to Philadelphia record.

I've seen Mark play Telegraph Road live four or five times. It never gets old. I also love the outro section of "Speedway at Nazareth" (though the song itself has grown a bit old on me). There are a bunch of live videos of that one on YouTube.

And while we're on the topic of Dire Straits songs, check out the original recording of "Brothers in Arms". It so dynamic, and it get so quiet at times. It would never make it out of the mastering house like that today.

For those trying to replicate the "Money or Nothing" sound, there was an interview with Ron Eve in Guitar Player years ago in which Eve went through Mark's live "Money for Nothing" setup (including the numbers at which the amp dials were set). I know the Soldano had a lot to do with it.

If I can track it down, I'll post it.

-a

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search