The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
What Delay?
Old 7th May 2006
Gear Maniac

What Delay?

so i've been reading the mixing engineer's handbook and i realized that i have been using way to little delay and way too much reverb (that's an exageration but what i mean is that i am starting to understand that delay is used way more than just sounding like an echo). anyways what are some good delay units. i already have a space echo and a couple of pedals i like like the memory man. i also have a lexicon mxp-1 and a tc m-one. the tc sounds like aweful compared to the lexicon! what kind of digi delay should i look at? i'm either asking from the point of view of what should i rent when i mix or what should i buy. in the case of buying, nothing more than $500 so i think renting when it comes down to mixing is better.
thanks guys.
Old 7th May 2006
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by arpodthegreat
so i've been reading the mixing engineer's handbook and i realized that i have been using way to little delay and way too much reverb (that's an exageration but what i mean is that i am starting to understand that delay is used way more than just sounding like an echo). anyways what are some good delay units. i already have a space echo and a couple of pedals i like like the memory man. i also have a lexicon mxp-1 and a tc m-one. the tc sounds like aweful compared to the lexicon! what kind of digi delay should i look at? i'm either asking from the point of view of what should i rent when i mix or what should i buy. in the case of buying, nothing more than $500 so i think renting when it comes down to mixing is better.
thanks guys.

If you want to go cheap. Consider picking up a used Ensoniq DP4+. It has nice warm sounding delays.... plus lots of other useful stuff, even though it is a million years old.
Old 7th May 2006
Lives for gear

options are out there!

In the under $500 you have great sounding choices. Here are but a couple:

Vintage: Lexicon PCM41. Classic, used on EVERYTHING. May require recapping.

New: TC Electroncs D2 Tap Delay. Easy to use, around $300, and sounds great.
Old 7th May 2006
Lives for gear

Are you ITB or OTB mixing?

Try BPM delays -- setting delay timings to match quarters or eighth notes. The Digidesign delay can do BPM-matched settings just about automatically. There is a formula for BPM --> ms as well.

Also, put an EQ on the delay channel and tweak it for less lows/highs and more mids. This will make the echo sound more natural -- in fact, in nature, an echo will come back "eq'd" this way -- i.e.: an outdoor echo doesn't have a flat freq response.

If you do both of these things, the echo will "hide" in the track more as you turn it up, giving you more leeway to use it to fatten things up without making the track sound too effected.

Many hardware delays have tap tempo functions, if you need a quick & dirty BPM setting.
Old 7th May 2006
Gear Maniac

i thought lexi pcm41 were way more than that. or is it the 42 that people want. anyways thanks for the response. yeah i am mixing OTB. if i am using a cheaper delay, is it ok to use it's converters or should i utilize digital conections. i suppose if i am going to be eq'ing the delay to tailor the sound it doesn't really matter. i've never programmed delays before so i wonder how hard it's going to be to tempo match these delays (which is what i want to do). i don't usually record to a click either (no click? OTB? WTF? i'm young shouldn't i be doing like drum samples and **** i sound like i'm 70 years old!)
Old 10th May 2006
Lives for gear

I've just started getting into delays more. Using them to enhance the sound rather than make it sound delayed/effected. Bringing up the delay till you hear it than backing off a bit.

Quote:
put an EQ on the delay channel and tweak it for less lows/highs and more mids. This will make the echo sound more natura

in addition to it sounding more natural, you can usually crank the repeats a bit more once you've shaved off the top, which can help to fill things out a bit......at least that's been the case for me.

I don't have much for delays, but I do have a Lexicon Primetime, and 2 of the Line 6 DL4 pedals.

Anyone here using the DL4 with luck?

I'm curious if these should do the trick.......like how much am I missing by not having a PCM42?
Old 10th May 2006
Lives for gear

If using TDM- echoboy rocks.
If not, I love the Line 6 echo pro.

I use a 16 bit Digitech quad for delays a lot.
MPX 1 is cool also.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search