The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Remote power switch for sub
Old 6th May 2006
Remote power switch for sub

I have a Yamaha powered sub. Problem is I have to crawl under my desk to turn it on and off. Is there any sort of remote power switch that I could use for this. I tried asking around at Radio Shack and they had no idea.
Old 7th May 2006
Gear Head
Why would you want to turn it off?
Do you turn off your tweeter from time to time also...?
In my opinion, it's better to have the full range at all times - and not only sometimes. If you're not happy with the total sound WITH the sub, you probably haven't adjusted it correctly or haven't found the correct spot to place it...
Old 7th May 2006
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nu Mixer
I have a Yamaha powered sub. Problem is I have to crawl under my desk to turn it on and off. Is there any sort of remote power switch that I could use for this. I tried asking around at Radio Shack and they had no idea.
depends upon who you talk to at radio shack.

They probably don't want to give you the equipment that you're going to kill yourself with. 120volts with a buncha amps behind it, you're likely to kill yourself.

I'd be reluctant to talk to a person on the net who doesn't have licensure about how to wire up that project.

But they make and sell relays that are hooked up to remote controls. If you want you could hook your whole house to them. if you have a bachelor pad, and bring a honey home, you'd have romantic music, the perfect lighting and a bar that rotates out of the wall at the touch of a button. Those remote control relays ain't cheap though.

oh, and I forgot the circular rotating/vibrating bed.

make sure you have shag carpet, and animal print walls.
Old 7th May 2006
Gear Maniac

how about plugging it into a power strip that you can flip with your foot?
Old 7th May 2006
<< how about plugging it into a power strip that you can flip with your foot? >>

Brilliant. Great suggestion!

Just tried it now. Looks a hell of as lot more 'stealth' than crawling under my desk.
Old 8th May 2006
Lives for gear

Why not make a relay for the input as opposed to turning the unit on/off. Much easier and you can find these units at radia shack/online. And you son't have to worry about killing yourself as you're only dealing with line level ont AC.
Check Henry Engineering products or run your audio thru a double gang 3 pole double throw switch

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search