The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
AKG K240DF
Old 6th May 2006
Lives for gear

AKG K240DF

To my dismay, these headphones have been discontinued...at least in Europe as they still seem to be available in the US. This is crazy is you ask me - those are the best headphones I've ever tried and I can't think of any reason not to make them anymore. Do people seriously not buy them in large enough quantities? They should be best-sellers considering how asskicking they are.

Anyway...

Does anyone know where I get hold of a pair...within the EU?
Old 6th May 2006
Lives for gear
ask the "saturn" shops in the province...
they don't know what they have with these dusty gadgets hanging from the shelves for customer testing. they are 10% as loud as the other cans so they don't get any attention.

240s are killer, I got the "monitor" flavor, which has more bass than the DF, from what I read in the forums. I couldn't compare the 2 types with the same music so I can't tell exactly.
Old 7th May 2006
Lives for gear

the province? what province? i'm into these mostly because they're diffuse-fields and they sound damn good...so good i don't need monitors for editing. yes, you read that right.
Old 7th May 2006
Lives for gear

I can't help with EU sourcing, and didn't know they were discontinued.... too bad if that's case. I agree they are exceptional headphones, very unique qualities. And I also bought them to assist with mixing, where they excel.

But in my experience they take a whale of a good amp to do right, with proper bass and level. I think that is why they have never been in the most popular camps -- folks plug them in to regular HP outputs and can't get a balance or enough volume.

What amp are you using BTW?

Steve
Old 7th May 2006
Lives for gear

Until quite recently there was no dedicated Headphone Amps.
Everybody used NADs or whatever HI-FI 8 ohm speaker output amplifiers.
600 ohms cans was necessity. That was then.
I too have 16 pairs of K 240 Monitor cans & yes, you can’t buy them anymore.
55 ohm is what you get today. Sadly, there is nothing we can do about that.

PS.
You could try to call some “provincial” shops to see if they still have some left.
Old 7th May 2006
That is a shame - I guess I'll have to break down and buy a pair.

They sounded closest to my Etymotic research ER4Ss in terms of mid-high tonality and lack of distortion, a big surprise.

I bought a pair of K240 Studios to take on remote gigs for the ease of drive and in the optimistic notion that they were more or less a more easily-driven pair of 240 DFs with a little more bass and a very slightly tipped up treble (i.e., slightly "smiley face" EQ or "hi-fi").
What I hadn't noticed until after I had bought them was, in direct comparison with (admittedly broken in) borrowed 240 DFs, the Studios had audibly higher levels of distortion. When I double checked, sure enough AKG lists higher distortion specs for the Studio, lowest of all models, I believe, for the 240DF.

You would think if AKG could have made a lower impedence model with the same tonality and low distortion they would have done it, so I'm guessing the distortion thing is in some way connected to the high impedance.

As for availability in EU, I would think that this is exactly the sort of thing that can be picked up cheap from unappreciative small time headbangers, as I did my AKG 1000s - they won't go loud on a cheap chip amp and they "ain't got no bass".
Old 5th December 2006
Gear Head

What I like about the K240DF:

-Comfortable to wear all day. Doesn't crush my ears or squeeze my head. Cans with too much isolation generally get uncomfortable after very long.

-Non-fatiguing sound. I can mix for hours without making my ears hurt. High end is smooth, no frequencies are overemphasized, nothing is sizzly or muffled.

-Good for mixing and critical listening. I have my Sony V6 if I need to hear a hyped response like the DJ hears...the 240DF is honest.

Can anyone recommend a similar headphone to the K240DF that is in current production?
Old 5th December 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Caballo View Post
What I like about the K240DF:

-Comfortable to wear all day. Doesn't crush my ears or squeeze my head. Cans with too much isolation generally get uncomfortable after very long.

-Non-fatiguing sound. I can mix for hours without making my ears hurt. High end is smooth, no frequencies are overemphasized, nothing is sizzly or muffled.

-Good for mixing and critical listening. I have my Sony V6 if I need to hear a hyped response like the DJ hears...the 240DF is honest.

Can anyone recommend a similar headphone to the K240DF that is in current production?

Yep! Try the AKG K271. I've had various AKG 240 series, and I like the K271 far better. That's just my opinion, but I love them, and if you like the 240 series, no doubt you'd also like the K271. (I have no affiliation with AKG.)

http://www.akg-acoustics.com/product...uage,ENUS.html

Best regards,
Old 5th December 2006
Gear Head

Quote:
That's the regular K240, which is still in production as far as I know. The K240DF is, and sounds, very different.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search