The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Cheap 2-channel power amp for a practice space?
Old 3rd February 2012
Cheap 2-channel power amp for a practice space?

Hey everyone. So, I'm restoring an old Peavy 701R 7-channel mixer, and it sounds great and looks even better. The only problem is that it's passive and super quiet. I'd very much like to use this in a new practice space that we're setting up. I inherited this and would like to keep the whole setup as close to $0 as possible. That said, can anyone suggest some cheap (vintage or new, don't care) power amps that might work well with this? Thanks in advance!
Old 3rd February 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by suburbanbeat View Post
Hey everyone. So, I'm restoring an old Peavy 701R 7-channel mixer, and it sounds great and looks even better. The only problem is that it's passive and super quiet. I'd very much like to use this in a new practice space that we're setting up. I inherited this and would like to keep the whole setup as close to $0 as possible. That said, can anyone suggest some cheap (vintage or new, don't care) power amps that might work well with this? Thanks in advance!
For an inexpensive amp that'll work reliably, I go with these guys. They're not quite as clean and powerful sounding as a good Crown or QSC, but they are solid amps and reliable.

Amplifiers | Power Amp | Amp | Seismic Audio
Old 3rd February 2012
Lives for gear

Yorkvilles are cheap, solid and reliable and not terrible. Easy to find used too.

Why stereo? It's a PA for vox only (maybe some kick?) - even if you have 2 speakers, dual mono it - maybe you can save some cash that way. Pretty easy to find an interesting mono power amp used for cheap.
Old 3rd February 2012
Great on both counts, thank you very much!

And yeah, for live use I would really just be using mono (would use stereo if I ever wanted to use it to record lo-fi drums or something), so I wouldn't be opposed to using dual mono. Does that actually entail buying two one-channel amps though? Excuse my ignorance!
Old 3rd February 2012
Lives for gear

I meant 2 speakers powered by a single mono amp, sorry. I realise that was confusing given what 'dual mono' usualy means. If you wanna run a drum bus through them then nevermind - cheaper to buy a stereo amp than 2 mono amps (usually).

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search